Telling children... (An essay with a question!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everyone - and I like your idea about the graphs etc. 😎

I am also a teacher (secondary) and have never really hidden it from the pupils. Because of that I have now discovered how many mums, dads, aunties Grannies Uncle etc. they all know about who have diabetes. I have also told the school nurse that if any pupil gets diagnosed and wants to, they can come and have a chat. Also the nurse knows that I usually have a stock of sweets if she needs them in a hurry - only happend once or twice in 9 yearsmind you.

I think if you are happy to tell them it is all to the good. One member of my departments sons was diagnosed a few years ago and it mad him more relaxed about it as he knew me and tha fact that I didn't tend to pass out all over the place or have lots of time off because of my diabetes - so on that basis, even if you chidren don't know anyone with or have diabetes themselves, if they know you keep well, if or when it does happen, they will remembeer you and not be as concerned about their relative - or their own- health. 🙂

Yes, yes and yes.
I wasn't diabetic when I taught but if I ever went back I would have no hesitation in telling them. Not just because it adds to the children's general education/awareness of differences (like the stats suggestions, you can then put them on a spreadsheet for IT, ) but because you might need their help. Children will usually come up trumps, but it helps if they know what the problem is and the best way to help.

Twice I've needed assistance from my class, once when I 'snapped' my calf muscle in a country dance lesson. They got help, just as you would expect but they then 'looked after me' and were fantastic whilst waiting.
The second time was on a residential week. I had had a cartilidge removed a couple of weeks before so probably shouldn't have gone. We went on a very muddy nightwalk in the pouring rain. Slipping and sliding put too much pressure on the knee, it became swollen and very painful. The centre leader had gone on at the front I was at the back with a small group. We were in the middle of nowhere in the dark. The children spotted my problem and took charge they supported me and got me round that walk. Writing this still brings a tear to my eyes when I remember how gentle and helpful they were.

Last edited:
Hi Munjeeta, My daughter teaches at Primary School so I asked her what she thought (as a non-diabetic and a teacher I thought her input might add something to this thread) and she said that as part of the Citizenship course children should know some people have "problems" healthwise that no-one can see on the outside and as part of the Healthy Eating course, which I understand Primary Schools teach now, as well as Einstein's ideas about maths and science it was a good idea for you to mention it to the class.

Her only caveat was you might need to get your Head's OK as they might say a letter should be sent to the class parents - but she also said that if any parent objected they woould be very stupid. Hope this adds something to your own ideas.

I think the more people know about diabetes the less they would be shocked if they or someone they are close to, eventually have to deal with it personally. I know my diagnosis at 62 has sent shockwaves through my close family (and ME!)

Hi Munjeeta

I found this thread really really interesting. I'm type 1, I don't teach but I do have a child in year 6 who completely understands my diabetes and would know what to do if I was having a hypo that I couldn't treat myself. I think it's absolutely essential that your kids know, and I agree that it's something that they should be aware of even if their teacher didn't have diabetes. Kids at that age soak up new information and I'm sure wouldn't be worried or scared about anything you told them......go for it!

hi munjeeta,

i would have to say go for it and tell them 🙂

kids are like sponges (as has already been said on here) and they will defo soak the info up and not only that they usually go home and talk about their day with their family so they will then get info over diabetes 🙂

well what ever you decide to do i hope it all goes well for you 🙂

mike

As a parent, I think it is a good idea to be as honest with the kids as possible. Give them brief details or however much you feel comfortable in telling them, after all the pancreas is part of the body and eith produces enough or not enough or no insulin at all.

My grown up son was old enough to understand when I was diagnosed, and will ask questions if he is not sure. Little feller is almost 5, he sees me doing the tests and taking the tablets (we call them medicine to keep me healthy).

With grown up son and now with little feller I asnwer questions as they are asked and try to use age appropriate words. I always know he is ready for more information by the way questions are worded or if the next logical question is being asked.

It is a little different with Year 6 children. I'd say start off simple and be prepared for their questions. You'll find some of them like the really gory details and others are very squeamish.

On a positive note with little feller, because he has seen me doing the finger prick tests and has been with me when I've had blood tests, he has less of a problem with injections than other kids his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back