Telling children... (An essay with a question!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munjeeta

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know that a lot of you know that I am a teacher, so for those that don't, I am a primary school teacher and I teach a year 6 class.

Now... An issue that I find makes people feel quite passionate...

In my last teaching post (I had a year 3 class) I mentioned on the first INSET day that I was going to tell my class about my diabetes on the first day, in case I went low etc in class. Later, my headteacher approached me and told me she did not want me to do this. In my first year of teaching, and unsure of how I really felt about it, I agreed and subsequently spent the rest of the year almost hiding my diabetes from the children in my class, avoiding blood tests if I felt I needed them and surreptisiously sipping lucozade but saving follow up carbs till breaks...

This year (with my current yr 6 class) I was so affected by the previous year's experience that I did ask my headteacher if I could tell my class (she said she was happy to, but to make sure it wasn't a big deal, just enough info for them to understand what they needed to know) BUT again, because of the previous year, I was worried about doing it and again, spent the first half of this year carrying on as before.

Then, about a month ago, 2 things happened: I went on a DUK support wkend and I took 34 Year 6 kids on a 5 day residential. At the support weekend the issue came up over drinks on one of the evening. My boyfriend and I ended up having quite a heated debate. He said I should, definitely, tell them about it. I said I wanted to but hadn't been sure how to, or didn't feel confident to having been told not to before.

BUT... On the residential, I decided to bite the bullet. I ate dinner with the kids, making a point of sitting with different children. At every meal, I explained to them that I needed to do an injection because I was diabetic. They were amazing. I explained about hypos, diagnosis everything (only if they asked) and now, if I hypo in class I drink lucozade and eat digestives and (aside from the odd envious look 😛) they don't bat an eyelid! I also test my blood, and often they ask what it is, or waht it should be which sparks off more conversation... I feel like a weight's been lifted. But in September I have a brand NEW class! I want to be open from the start and I think I've overcome my nerves.

What do you guys think? Should I or shouldn't I? And, if I should, how's the best way to broach the subject for the first time without making it into a big deal? I have some ideas, I just wanted to ask.

Sorry about the essay, well done if you've got this far! :D

Abso-bloody-lutely. Yes yes yes yes tell them. What more could you ask for than what you have got out of the year 6's after you have told them. You are educating them about diabetes. A few will have type 2 in the years to come, 1 or 2 could well become type 1 any day, you know how it works. You have taught them something else that isn't on the curriculum. You have given them an insight into diabetes. One of their new friends in the new school next year may be type 1 and this will help them what they have learned from you.

I think you are hero and I think you should definitely tell the new class. Make it a lesson, make it a fun but serious lesson. Kids benefit from seeing things not just hearing, you're the teacher you know that. Show them a finger test. Ask one of them to press the button whilst it is against your finger (you holding the pen of course).

I did this with my daughters class - twice now. Once at year one age and once at her new school (we moved) so that would be year 3 age.

Do you have a Ruby bear? Possibly not. Children with type 1 can get them free from JDRF. You can buy them as well for ?10. They are brilliant. There is Ruby or Rufus, both are diabetic. They have coloured felt in squares where injections can be given, they have an ID bracelet on. They also have hearts on their paws where the finger testing is. I used Ruby to show them a bit about diabetes. I also did a finger test on my daughter. Then she asked if anyone wanted to press the button.

At the end they asked questions. They were great questions. We had the usual 'will she die' answer no, not if we look after her and make sure she is ok with enough sugar and enough insulin like the rest of us.

You go for it.

Never ever hide your diabetes. I totally agree with your boyfriend.

My dear, you must definitely tell them from the start. Kids are curious and full of desire to know things. The experiences you have described tell me that it is better for you and them that they know asap and will not be upset by the knowledge. They will, I feel, emerge as better, more understanding children because of it.

As to how? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't know where to start - but I think you have the skill to do it, and do it well! I'm sorry you met prejudice and scepticism before, but you have nothing to hide - how might you explain asthma? At least you're not trying to explain alcoholism -now, THAT might be tricky!:D

Good luck Munjeeta! If I had kids, I would hope that they were taught by someone like you🙂

I'd tell them! I tell my Brownies (7 - 10 year olds) & a Sunday group I run (similar age range) and I know it's different having them 1 1/2 hours each week rather than in the classroom but apart from meaning that I don't have to hide it from them it means that they become aware of the condition if they aren't already. My eldest will be in Y3 next year & I would certainly say that all his class could 'cope' with the information - if that's what the head is worried about. I would have thought it was more stressful all round if a 'situation' arose & you didn't feel free to deal with it straight away. I'd probably start by doing a blood test in front of them - telling them what was happening and saying if they wanted to come closer to watch they could, and if they didn't want to watch that was fine & explain a little bit about why you do that & how you/we can adjust things to improve the result. Sorry lots of waffle but this is important & part of who we are.

I know that a lot of you know that I am a teacher, so for those that don't, I am a primary school teacher and I teach a year 6 class.

Now... An issue that I find makes people feel quite passionate...

In my last teaching post (I had a year 3 class) I mentioned on the first INSET day that I was going to tell my class about my diabetes on the first day, in case I went low etc in class. Later, my headteacher approached me and told me she did not want me to do this. In my first year of teaching, and unsure of how I really felt about it, I agreed and subsequently spent the rest of the year almost hiding my diabetes from the children in my class, avoiding blood tests if I felt I needed them and surreptisiously sipping lucozade but saving follow up carbs till breaks...

This year (with my current yr 6 class) I was so affected by the previous year's experience that I did ask my headteacher if I could tell my class (she said she was happy to, but to make sure it wasn't a big deal, just enough info for them to understand what they needed to know) BUT again, because of the previous year, I was worried about doing it and again, spent the first half of this year carrying on as before.

Then, about a month ago, 2 things happened: I went on a DUK support wkend and I took 34 Year 6 kids on a 5 day residential. At the support weekend the issue came up over drinks on one of the evening. My boyfriend and I ended up having quite a heated debate. He said I should, definitely, tell them about it. I said I wanted to but hadn't been sure how to, or didn't feel confident to having been told not to before.

BUT... On the residential, I decided to bite the bullet. I ate dinner with the kids, making a point of sitting with different children. At every meal, I explained to them that I needed to do an injection because I was diabetic. They were amazing. I explained about hypos, diagnosis everything (only if they asked) and now, if I hypo in class I drink lucozade and eat digestives and (aside from the odd envious look 😛) they don't bat an eyelid! I also test my blood, and often they ask what it is, or waht it should be which sparks off more conversation... I feel like a weight's been lifted. But in September I have a brand NEW class! I want to be open from the start and I think I've overcome my nerves.

What do you guys think? Should I or shouldn't I? And, if I should, how's the best way to broach the subject for the first time without making it into a big deal? I have some ideas, I just wanted to ask.

Sorry about the essay, well done if you've got this far! :D

yes go for it Munjeeta !!! you have a brilliant chance to educate another generation on the subject and from a diabetics point of view. It doesnt have to be a long and serious debate , just be yourself and be open and about the fact that you have it , im sure the questions will come thick and fast !! Be open and honest , as you know children appreciate honesty . good luck !! you will be fine 🙂

Hi Munjeeta,

Can I just mirror exactly what Adriene has said.....totally abso-bloody-lutely tell them....

Heidi
:D

DEFINITELY. I can see how it must have been scary the first time round, but now that it's over with you know that it worked out really well for you and it's for the best.

I know that when I was at school I would have been really interested in hearing about it. In fact I was particularly interested in diabetes whenever I heard it mentioned in science etc, which is pretty freaky because I went on to develop it ages 18 😱

It is such a bad idea to try hiding your diabetes because you end up neglecting yourself more in order to hide it. I did that at University. It will also be a great bit of education and you'll be able to explain it better than any future science teacher they have. I was taught it at GCSE and didnt fully understand the difference between to two types, but actually it's really simple. I'm not sure the teacher even understood it propery so explained it wrongly!

Like Northe, I have no idea how you would bring it up. Sorry for being so useless, this is exactly why i'm not a teacher :D

Thank you for so many positive response. I have never heard of Ruby bear, Adrienne, but have just googled it and am hoping that if I ring I may be able to get hold of one although (technically!) not a child with diabetes...

I guess I know I should tell them, and you're all right, the positive impact on their lives (and mine, my diabetes management during my school day has been so much better since I've felt able to test/ treat hypos without worrying), it's just good to hear other peoples' take on things, especially after encountering negativity. Sometimes it just takes me a while to actually realise how i feel about things... I wonder if I'll ever come across a parent who doesn't agree.

I will go in in September armed and ready to face all their inquisitiveness 🙂

Hi

JDRF are just fantastic. If you tell them you are type 1 yourself and you want the bear to teach your new class about diabetes, I am hopeful they will just send it. You may have to pay though it is a charity but you'll get one. They are the best type 1 diabetes charity around, 10000000 times better than DUK. We work with them to try to achieve things in schools etc. We, being UK Children with Diabetes Advocacy Group, have found JDRF to be the best people to work with and to support us in our work and campaigns. They listen for a start unlike DUK who have their own agenda !

Go for it!

The more who are educated as early as possible from first hand experience the better.

Can you introduce testing into the maths lessons, or perhaps science - I think if you did that you would open a lot of kids eyes to applied mathematics and science. They would see it in action, learn about food and what its made up of, exercise, life style and of course the testing and subsequent injections.

With your enthusiasm you'd soon be the envy of all the other kids with different teachers.

Afterall for so many kids, school can be very boring, a) because they aren't inspired or don't understand the theory of the lesson, b) they are too far ahead mentally and finish all work and ask more questions than you know the answer too, or c) are perhaps a little too thick to really be there.

Of course, being PC, reason c) doesn't exist in todays society.

I wish you well and am sure your lessons in diabetes will soon become the talk of the school!

ummmm lol... I'm so glad you aren't a teacher 'Einstein'.

It's all relative Katie 😉

You didn't read my caveat either did you? Caveat lector😱

It's all relative Katie 😉

You didn't read my caveat either did you? Caveat lector😱

haha no i didnt.

I dont think anyone can be "too thick" at primary school level! there is still time to save them from eternal thickness 😉

haha no i didnt.

I dont think anyone can be "too thick" at primary school level! there is still time to save them from eternal thickness 😉

Well, there is still some hope! :D😱

Actually, the point I was making was even kids who don't understand the theory of plotting graphs, would if it was something real and different, like BG/insulin units... You never know it might just be the catalyst needed to unlock a great mind.

At the age of 50 (I know, can you believe it?:D), I have learned more about biology and the functioning of human beings in the past year (of diabetes) than I ever learned before. And I have had a lifelong interest in science. Being introduced to such things so young would have been so enlightening!🙂

I never ever thought my path would take me on the diabetes path or my daughter's real condition Congenital Hyperinsulinism. I never thought I would know so much about an illness and be in a position to help families all over the UK. I was having a cushy life, pregnant but single (that was my choice and a good one believe me!) and not a care in the world and BANG my daughter was born and within 20 hours my life changed totally, 100% totally. Now I am living. Now I have a life that is worthy but I never knew that before.

In whatever capacity diabetes enters your life it is life changing.

Definitely tell them. It will give them something interesting and different to learn and understand. If they or any of their family or friends ever become diabetic at least they'll know something about it, which could help in finding a diagnosis or helping with the diagnosis.

The idea that your pupils ask what your blood sugar is shows how they are interested and care. You've probably given them an issue or a way to see you as more human than they might have done before.
yes go for it Munjeeta !!! you have a brilliant chance to educate another generation on the subject and from a diabetics point of view. It doesnt have to be a long and serious debate , just be yourself and be open and about the fact that you have it , im sure the questions will come thick and fast !! Be open and honest , as you know children appreciate honesty . good luck !! you will be fine 🙂
What she said.

Hi Munjeeta,

I agree with everyone else and definitely think you should tell them.

With cases of diabetes in children (under 5's) predicted to double by 2020 there is a very high chance that some of them will either become, or have contact with someone who has diabetes.

It will also give them an insight into the early warning symptoms of diabetes, and they'll know why you're doing blood tests, drinking lucozade and taking injections making it easier for you to manage your diabetes during lessons. Children are amazing, and their adaptivness and curiosity can sometimes be underestimated by us adults. I was especially impressed by your class taking an interest in your diabetes and asking what your sugar levels were.

I'd also rather have a teacher educating our children and making a good job of it rather than leaving it to our beloved British soaps which have got it wrong on many occasions (Hollyoaks, Emmerdale and Coronation Street)

Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.

NiVZ

Once again - thank you even more for more positive replies!

Einstein - some really great ideas. I can definitely give them a month's worth of blood sugar readings and ask them to plot them on a graph. They can then analyse them and tell me how bad my control is 😛 And I can give them some foods and ask them to work out the ratios of insulin I would need to take, I always get stuck teaching ratio but that'd be perfect (not least in that it'll save me working it all out when I come to making dinner :D)

I will let you know how it goes in Sept when I face my brand new class. Thank you everyone 🙂

Munjeeta,
YES YES YES....Absolutely teach them about it all! Your the perfect person to teach them - without the myths and legends that surround diabetes.

Your helping the future medics and mathematicians learn about something that is a serious condition and often not recognised as such! But i know you will tell them in a balanced way - without the scare tactics. Also, there will unfortunately be some children who will develop diabetes at some stage and i am sure your reassuring words will help them to cope with a diagnosis.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back