Teenage Diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

May I firstly thank all of you for your replies....AM, Bev, Mike, Steff, Brightontez, Mand and salmonpuff..It meant s great deal to me and Nathan..and gave me the chance to see things from a different perspective..love you all loads..XXXX

Thanks again

Heidi and Nathan.....''kevin the Teenager''

🙂

You're welcome Heidi

I had a chat with Collin at work about his son. Colin told me his son didn't like being watched taking his insulin as it was something very personal and intimate for him. Have you asked your Nathan about his feelings on this?

I asked Colin about his son sneaking food away. He said he doesn't worry as his son has learnt the consequences of not taking his rapid acting insulin the hard way and now it's now become natural instinct for him to do it - like just putting on a seat belt in the car is - and asked me to ask you "does he know how to correct by himself?".

Perhaps Nathan needs to discover for himself what corrections are needed for his indulgences and you could suggest he could do his own experiments?

Collin lets his son keep his pens and just checks the fridge how much insulin is being used and the BG meter once a week for trends.

Hope that helps your "Kevin".

Last edited:
Hi,

I have my very own 'Kevin'!! He just turned 12, and its like I have a different child in the house sometimes.!

I think it was Bev that said they are teenagers first and a PWD second, and I definitely agree.

I put all his angst down to teenageness, but I know that when he is on a roll
('' I hate my life, I hate you, I'm not alllowed to do anything etc'') the diabetes is thrown in as just a little more ammunition.

Teenage years are challenging, D or no D. I was a right cow when I was a teenager, so I am expecting the worst. But the management of his diabetes is non-negotiable, so I will be choosing my battles carefully over the next few years. If he wants to wear bizarre clothes, grow his hair and have a bedroom like a pig-sty, thats fine....!!

I will be watching this thread ( I know its a bit old though) but I hope I will get the advice that I will no doubt be needing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back