Technology - Libre Freestyle Blood Glucose Monitoring System

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Technology - The Freestyle Libre System uses a Bluetooth sensor attached to your arm to read your BG using levels as often as you like, just by scanning it with a smart phone. Each sensor lasts for two weeks. It’s not for everyone but for some people - like me - it’s a game changer.

Libre is currently only available on NHS to people with T1 - and even then with strict eligibility criteria. But that could change.

I’m posting this thread for current and prospective users, carers, professionals and anyone else with an interest, to connect, inform and share experiences.

Ann

I am T2 and I self fund the libre sensor as it gives me privilege to track my BG at will and invariably boast my confidence in controlling my diabetes. I won’t wait for the NHS to fund the Libre sensor for me. What’s the essence of the money I have that I can’t spend on my health than I died soon.

I am T2 and I self fund the libre sensor as it gives me privilege to track my BG at will and invariably boast my confidence in controlling my diabetes. I won’t wait for the NHS to fund the Libre sensor for me. What’s the essence of the money I have that I can’t spend on my health than I died soon.

I too am self - funding. I started with the ‘free trial’ offer which drew me in. I’m happy to pay in the short term - but I’ll be thinking twice about making it permanent.

But there are thousands of people out there who could really benefit if it were available on NHS

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone. Without a smart-phone it’s far less useful. And it requires motivation, and a basic ability to understand how it works - whether it be the person using it - or a person caring for someone else.

I am a self funder and have been for a few years. As many Type 2 don't get prescribed test strips, and even if they do only get prescribed limited number even when on hypo causing medication. I think we are way off Libre being freely prescribed for Type 2.

I am a self funder and have been for a few years. As many Type 2 don't get prescribed test strips, and even if they do only get prescribed limited number even when on hypo causing medication. I think we are way off Libre being freely prescribed for Type 2.
All the more reason to get it ‘out there’ ?
Technology - The Freestyle Libre System uses a Bluetooth sensor attached to your arm to read your BG using levels as often as you like, just by scanning it with a smart phone. Each sensor lasts for two weeks. It’s not for everyone but for some people - like me - it’s a game changer.

Libre is currently only available on NHS to people with T1 - and even then with strict eligibility criteria. But that could change.

I’m posting this thread for current and prospective users, carers, professionals and anyone else with an interest, to connect, inform and share experiences.

Ann

I’m newish to this site. Haven’t found my around completely yet. I’m going to ‘follow’ any account that seems to have someone using the Libre. I’m not quite sure what to click to see if anyone follows me back. But that doesn’t matter too much.

I’ll ‘consolidate’ later on.

Agreed @ grovesy, and its not right. But increasing awareness in as many places as possible can only help. And sometimes promotion from the ground gains friction and swells. How can Civil servants and government ministers ever get to realise the folly of their short-sightedness.

Last edited:
Also, @grovesy, there are GPS who clearly don't realise the benefits, nor understand much about diabetes; otherwise why would a GP stop a T3c with no panc'y from having testing strips?

Just to be completely accurate in case any confusion arises...

Libre uses NFC to perform the ‘scan’.

Libre2 can use Bluetooth to send optional alerts to either smartphone or reader (but not both) if glucose levels hit user defined limits. The alerts prompt the user to scan using NFC, but is still a Flash glucose monitor rather than a traditional full real-time CGM.

Libre3 has launched in Germany and is more of a full CGM which automatically sends readings via a transmitter I believe.

Just to be completely accurate in case any confusion arises...

Libre uses NFC to perform the ‘scan’.

Libre2 can use Bluetooth to send optional alerts to either smartphone or reader (but not both) if glucose levels hit user defined limits. The alerts prompt the user to scan using NFC, but is still a Flash glucose monitor rather than a traditional full real-time CGM.

Libre3 has launched in Germany and is more of a full CGM which automatically sends readings via a transmitter I believe.
I’d RT if this were Twitter - but it’s not - not sure how to make sure how to check comments are included in a thread. But I’m sure you do. 🙂

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone. Without a smart-phone it’s far less useful.

I’m not sure if I agree with that. The Libre brings many benefits even without a smart-phone. I use the Libre Reader and I don’t feel disadvantaged in any way by that. I don’t have a compatible phone and can’t afford to get a new one at the moment.

I think people like Theresa May drew attention to the Libre by having the sensor visible in public. Certainly as a Type 1, I’ve been following it from inception and asked about it at my clinic.

I imagine a subset of Type 2s might get it on prescription eg those on insulin.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone. Without a smart-phone it’s far less useful.

I’m not sure if I agree with that. The Libre brings many benefits even without a smart-phone. I use the Libre Reader and I don’t feel disadvantaged in any way by that. I don’t have a compatible phone and can’t afford to get a new one at the moment.

I think people like Theresa May drew attention to the Libre by having the sensor visible in public. Certainly as a Type 1, I’ve been following it from inception and asked about it at my clinic.

I imagine a subset of Type 2s might get it on prescription eg those on insulin.
No offence intended. I started with a free trial and the IOS app. From my perspective that makes the investment viable to me as I’m paying for it myself.

As far as I know nobody with T2 has Freestyle funded by NHS. So far.

I’m posting this thread for current and prospective users, carers, professionals and anyone else with an interest, to connect, inform and share experiences
I’m wondering where people start looking, when they want basic information about anything. The forum, in my experience anyway, tends to be where people come either to ask a specific query, or because they are just starting out and want to be pointed in the right direction for information that is already available in other places. Perhaps a link to he Diabetes U.K. website information on Flash Glucose monitoring might be useful here.

I can’t remember where I first heard about the Libre. It could well have been the Diabetes U.K. Balance magazine. I then did my own research through Google and this site. I find the Search facility here very useful as I can look for specific things rather than just plough through threads eg I was concerned about getting a reaction to the Libre adhesive so searched through for that.

Here’s a link to a more general search for anyone who simply wants to read through threads to get an idea about the Libre:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/search/92578/?q=Libre&o=date

You can then focus your search by looking for additional words.

I’m wondering where people start looking, when they want basic information about anything.
This thread also seems to be missing a link to the official Libre website which includes videos and access to the free trial.

Maybe someone can post a link to the latest NICE recommendations for England and the equivalent for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Given there are so many official resources about the Libre, in my opinion, the value of a thread like this is anything unofficial such as
- limitations to the Libre (and other CGMs)
- add ons to the LIbre including alternative phone apps such as Diabox and xDrip, extra transmitters such as Bubble and MiaoMiao, and elasticated arm bands for people who find they have "less sticky skin"

This thread also seems to be missing a link to the official Libre website which includes videos and access to the free trial.

Maybe someone can post a link to the latest NICE recommendations for England and the equivalent for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Given there are so many official resources about the Libre, in my opinion, the value of a thread like this is anything unofficial such as
- limitations to the Libre (and other CGMs)
- add ons to the LIbre including alternative phone apps such as Diabox and xDrip, extra transmitters such as Bubble and MiaoMiao, and elasticated arm bands for people who find they have "less sticky skin"

That would be great. I was hoping that other people would post any useful information into the thread. And I didn’t want to seem to be promoting it too forcefully myself.
( I didn’t want it to just be about me)

Another link people might find helpful when getting started with Libre (or other sensors) is the Diabetes Technology Network video education series I was asked to contribute to. It’s designed for T1s, but much of it would apply universally or could be adapted. If there's anything about making sense of Libre data you are finding difficult, these are pretty helpful I think.

Last edited:
It's a full CGM, but I've not read anything suggesting it'll use a transmitter. (I'd guess it'll require a compatible smartphone.)
My understanding is that it is a full CGM but, as you suggest, I believe the Reader will be "discontinued" in that there will be no Libre 3 reader.

My understanding is that it is a full CGM but, as you suggest, I believe the Reader will be "discontinued" in that there will be no Libre 3 reader.

“CGM” ?

Last edited by a moderator:
“CGM” ?
Continuous Glucose Monitor. Sometimes now split into two categories, rtCGM and isCGM, with Dexcom and the like being rtCGM (they supply the data frequently, in real time, to a phone or other device) and Libre 1 and Libre 2 (and Eversense) being isCGM (you get data by intermittently scanning).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back