Tanderm pump Re-training

clairalice

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
Im looking for help regarding using my Tanderm t:slim x2. Ive got the basics pretty much sorted I think:confused: but have been told to start trying the Temp rate . Im 44 with health conditions that means my brain isnt as sharp as it used to be. Im nervous about trying it and dont really know what percentage to start. The main one is for exercise. I have been told to reduce one hour before until one hour afterwards but by how much? I will only be doing gentle exercise bike to start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated:thankyou:.
Thank you for reading.
Clair.x

It’s very much a case of trial and error, but I’d be inclined to start cautiously with a reduction of 20% and see what happens (we found a change of less than that didn’t really make any noticeable difference). You can always cancel it again if you start going high. Then if it doesn’t make enough difference do 30% less next time and keep changing it like that until you find the level that works best for you.

It’s very much a case of trial and error, but I’d be inclined to start cautiously with a reduction of 20% and see what happens (we found a change of less than that didn’t really make any noticeable difference). You can always cancel it again if you start going high. Then if it doesn’t make enough difference do 30% less next time and keep changing it like that until you find the level that works best for you.
Thank you.x

Good luck with developing your own system @clairalice

It's such a pain that all our bodies are so pig-headedly individual. Bah! It would be so much easier if we could just be given an official 'crib sheet' wouldn't it?!

In the end I ended up with a couple of benchmarks depending on what I'd observed before trying different things.

Like @Sally71 suggests I started with 80% and 70% TBRs, but encouraged by a former pump (the MM640G) in the end I didn't shy away from fully suspending basal - as long as it wasn't for more than a couple of hours.

It all depends on what your body does, how much 'insulin on board' you have when exercise starts, and the duration and intensity of the activity.

But yes, temporary basal rates take at least 30-60 minutes to start having any effect 🙂

Last edited:
Good luck with developing your own system @clairalice

It's such a pain that all our bodies are so pig-headedly individual. Bah! It would be so much easier if we could just be given an official 'crib sheet' wouldn't it?!

In the end I ended up with a couple of benchmarks depending on what I'd observed before trying different things.

Like @Sally71 suggests I started with 80% and 70% TBRs, but encouraged by a former pump (the MM640G) in the end I didn't shy away from fully suspending basal - as long as it wasn't for more than a couple of hours.

It all depends on what your body does, how much 'insulin on board' you have when exercise starts, and the duration and intensity of the activity.

But yes, temporary basal rates take at least 30-60 minutes to start having any effect 🙂
Thank you.

Back