Tandem t slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm due to change pump from the Accu chek Insight to the tandem t slim in September. Has anyone else changed over? How did you find it was there any problems?

A number of people here use the T Slim, including @everydayupsanddowns Any new pump seems strange to start with but you’ll soon get used to it. If you get a chance to look at the T Slim online that will be good as you can familiarise yourself with it. There are also various videos on YouTube, but really I’m sure you’ll pick things up quickly.

There have been quite a few threads about this.
The search function at the top right of every page is very useful to find them

I switched from Medtronic to tSlim a year or two back, and really like it.

One thing which does strike me, moving from Roche… you’ll have to get used to a different way of showing Insulin on Board - which will look alarmingly big to you to begin with. Roche discounts any insulin set against carbs for its IoB, so it only really shows ‘correction on board’, but Medtronic and tSlim show all the active insulin, so the iob will look much larger on your tSlim, and you‘ll have to keep mental track of ‘carbs on board’.

If you’d like to get a feel for the menus, and what’s where, there is a tSlim emulator app you can put onto your smartphone which allows you to play with menus / settings / bolus wizard etc. I found that really helpful.

As others have said, any switch of pumps takes a bit of getting used to. I went from Combo to Medtronic and there were quite a few differences, including the insulin on board/active insulin that @everydayupsanddowns mentions.

Are you going to be using the t-slim in closed loop? For me that was the motivation to switch pumps and I am so pleased that I did. I think about my diabetes a lot less than before. It took me some time to trust it to do a lot of the work I had done before, but delighted that I did.

Well worth doing the homework to become as familiar as you can but also just be patient with yourself as you get used to a different system.

As others have said, any switch of pumps takes a bit of getting used to. I went from Combo to Medtronic and there were quite a few differences, including the insulin on board/active insulin that @everydayupsanddowns mentions.

Are you going to be using the t-slim in closed loop? For me that was the motivation to switch pumps and I am so pleased that I did. I think about my diabetes a lot less than before. It took me some time to trust it to do a lot of the work I had done before, but delighted that I did.

Well worth doing the homework to become as familiar as you can but also just be patient with yourself as you get used to a different system.
I'm just using it as a stand alone pump due to my CCG not agreeing to give me the Dexcom one.

Just to say that Dexcom one is not compatible with looping. For that you need a Dexcom G6
Ok then I thought it done the same thing as the G6 but just a bit more simplified with not as many options.

Hi, how come your changing ? Have your hospital stopped using it ? I’m on the accu check aswell and been on it for 6 years now but I received a letter saying they are taking everyone off it and I need to pick a new pump! I have no idea about the 3 other pumps one being the tanderm t slim, Medtronic780G or the omipod! What made you choose to go with the tanderm ? Thanks!

Hi, how come your changing ? Have your hospital stopped using it ? I’m on the accu check aswell and been on it for 6 years now but I received a letter saying they are taking everyone off it and I need to pick a new pump! I have no idea about the 3 other pumps one being the tanderm t slim, Medtronic780G or the omipod! What made you choose to go with the tanderm ? Thanks!

I think the only Roche pump still on the books is the semi-patch Solo. As I understand it the Insight isn’t being offered to new pump starts, and the Combo is 2 generations ago, so no longer being offered after current contracts end?

I'm just using it as a stand alone pump due to my CCG not agreeing to give me the Dexcom one.

I believe it’s the same pump. One of the cool things about the tSlim is that you can update the software/firmware on the pump via an internet download. eg I was supplied with the Basal IQ version (suspend only) and have upgraded it to the Control IQ version (hybrid closed loop)

It was the best of the 2 pumps that was offered to me. I trialled the ypsopump but never liked it to me it didn't seem very user friendly and the Bluetooth connection on the app was very unreliable. I've seen loads of videos on you tube and the t slim appeals to me much more although there is no app available at the moment. I would have chose the omnipod because I really wanted a tubeless pump but i was only offered a choice of 2

I still have 2 years left with mine, but I received a letter saying it is unsafe and the hospitals decided to stop using them so I need to pick a new pump! I’ve always found mine to be ok to be fair and looking at the 3 other pumps they are offering with having to fill them ect… they all seem very different and I’ve been asked to choose one! It’s quite hard when I literally have no idea about any of them I’m obvs doing some research into them all but what made you go with the tanderm ?

was the best of the 2 pumps that was offered to me. I trialled the ypsopump but never liked it to me it didn't seem very user friendly and the Bluetooth connection on the app was very unreliable. I've seen loads of videos on you tube and the t slim appeals to me much more although there is no app available at the moment. I would have chose the omnipod because I really wanted a tubeless pump but i was only offered a choice of 2

Oh ok makes sense! I liked the idea of no tubing but the pod looks quite big! I have ordered a dummy one to try that out! I think they all have pros and cons to them, I just wasn’t expecting the letter and having to choose a new pump!

was the best of the 2 pumps that was offered to me. I trialled the ypsopump but never liked it to me it didn't seem very user friendly and the Bluetooth connection on the app was very unreliable. I've seen loads of videos on you tube and the t slim appeals to me much more although there is no app available at the moment. I would have chose the omnipod because I really wanted a tubeless pump but i was only offered a choice of 2
I have ordered the ypsopump to try. And I have the Mudtrum to give a go also.

I liked the trail omnipod a lot. It was small and no tubes is appealing to me.

There's so much to think about, I want to be prepared when I speak to my team. Never been offered a pump in 17 years.

Oh ok makes sense! I liked the idea of no tubing but the pod looks quite big! I have ordered a dummy one to try that out! I think they all have pros and cons to them, I just wasn’t expecting the letter and having to choose a new pump!
What did you think of the dummy one?

Well the ypsopump demo is useless. Loads of packaging, no contact off them, or booklet / instructions only a 3D model of the pump and a canula, with a freepost return letter.

All it has done is show me the size of it which is much bigger than the omnipod and Mudtrum. I could likely keep those on for rugby, at least training if not matches but no way with the ypso.

Also I phoned Tandem T slim about a sample and these are only with the healthcare provider. And their line was poor and she had a very strong accent so I already don't like them. I am so picky with customer service.

Also I phoned Tandem T slim about a sample and these are only with the healthcare provider. And their line was poor and she had a very strong accent so I already don't like them. I am so picky with customer service.
I found their customer service fab, gawd knows what you would think of medtronic, barely speak English and the accents are so bad I end up by not continuing the call

As a matter of interest what sample were you expecting?
Cannulas are prescription only hence why you were told they were with health care P's.
Oh and they cost about £10 each.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back