T2 to T1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes @AJLang That is a valid point that people with Gastroparesis etc have a greater need for a pump than the likes of me and pumps are expensive and the NHS has limited resources, so I think it is right that it should be based on need and overall benefit rather than "I use insulin so I should be eligible to a pump"

I think the system is probably about right now with pump allocation, but I think Libre should be extended to all Type 2s on MDI who would like one and use it efficiently.

Hi Jensman, welcome to the forum.

How did you come to be diagnosed with type 2 and then investigated for type 1? I'm glad to hear that they're testing you further as we often see misdiagnosis occuring in type 2's so it's good to double check.

Feel free to share a bit more about yourself and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Hi Jensman, welcome to the forum.

How did you come to be diagnosed with type 2 and then investigated for type 1? I'm glad to hear that they're testing you further as we often see misdiagnosis occuring in type 2's so it's good to double check.

Feel free to share a bit more about yourself and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Hi Cherrelle. Thanks for taking time to read my post. So 30 or so years ago I kept getting low blood sugars so I was referred to our local diabetic team. It was decided that I would have to use glucagon novo injections if my blood sugars were low. Then after a year or so they told me I was T2 and not to use the glucagon and they put me on metformin. I didn’t query anything as I just got confused with what they were telling me. Anyway, 10 years ago I found my birth mother who told me she was T1 and insulin dependent. Last year they took me off metformin and I was doing really well with diet control. I see the the diabetic nurse twice a year and my hba1c was coming back slightly raised (78). They asked me to do some home readings for a week and they would get back to me. My BSL’s were coming back between 11 and 13 with a few normal 7 and 8 and 1 came back at 3.9. Yesterday they rang me and we had a phone conversation and they told me I have to have some blood tests done for antibodies and a specific 1 which I can’t remember the name of (c- something or other). She told me I was probably T1 now which kind of turned my world upside down. I have an appointment on Tuesday to have my bloods done and have a chat to see where we are moving forward. It’s thrown me completely as I wasn’t expecting it. The forums have helped a little bit but it’s such a lot to take on board and there are a lot of differing opinions.

Yesterday they rang me and we had a phone conversation and they told me I have to have some blood tests done for antibodies and a specific 1 which I can’t remember the name of (c- something or other).
C-peptide, probably. It's a test to see how much insulin you're still producing (so if it's low that would suggest you have Type 1).

I think a level of 78mmol/mol could be considered as a bit more than slightly raised as the threshold is anything above 47 mmol/mol.
The random readings except the 3.9 are pretty consistent with that but are a bit meaningless without the context of when those were taken in relation to when you had eaten.
What sort of diet do you have? That maybe something you need to be looking at straight away as the tests can take as much as 6-8 weeks to come back unlike the HbA1C which is just a few days.

I think a level of 78mmol/mol could be considered as a bit more than slightly raised as the threshold is anything above 47 mmol/mol.
The random readings except the 3.9 are pretty consistent with that but are a bit meaningless without the context of when those were taken in relation to when you had eaten.
What sort of diet do you have? That maybe something you need to be looking at straight away as the tests can take as much as 6-8 weeks to come back unlike the HbA1C which is just a few days.
My diet is pretty ok. Had to cut down on carbs and have more fresh veg but it’s quite varied. I checked my BSL’s 1 hour before eating and again 2 hours after

My diet is pretty ok. Had to cut down on carbs and have more fresh veg but it’s quite varied. I checked my BSL’s 1 hour before eating and again 2 hours after
It is generally better to check just before you eat and then after 2 hours as that will give you a better indication of your meal is too high carb to be tolerated. An increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l is OK and as your levels come down then a post meal reading of no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l is what to aim at.
The suggested amount of total carbs not just 'sugar' per day is no more than 130g.
Keeping a food diary of everything you eat and drink estimating the total carbs will help you see where you are at compared to that and help you see where some savings can be made if needed.

... 30 or so years ago I kept getting low blood sugars so I was referred to our local diabetic team. It was decided that I would have to use glucagon novo injections if my blood sugars were low. ...
That's odd! ... Do you remember whether they ever gave you a diagnosis for the cause of your hypoglycaemia (low blood sugars)?

Never got a reason for it. Came off glucagon injections as my bsl's were coming back OK. After a year or so had to go onto metformin as I was told I was T2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back