T2 Qualifying for CGM technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t take steroids. I take novamix 30 34 units am and 14 units before tea and 300mg canagliflizin a day.

That insulin regime is known as a basal/bolus regime, with the basal being the long-acting background insulin, and the bolus being the rapid-acting insulin to deal with meals. This should hopefully help you a lot, and that and the Libre should make a big improvement to your HbA1C.

I hope so - not showing much improvement at the moment on 34 units am and 14 units at teatime of Novamix with 300mg of canagliflozin and still getting readings in high teens up mid 20’s.

I hope so - not showing much improvement at the moment on 34 units am and 14 units at teatime of Novamix with 300mg of canagliflozin and still getting readings in high teens up mid 20’s.
Hopefully a better regime of separate basal and bolus insulins will help you but in the meantime doing the on line self referral BERTIE course may prepare you for the change and with carb counting.
I hope you have a means of testing for ketones if you are getting levels so high.
It looks as if the doses of insulin are not helping you cope with the amount of carbs you have for your meals.

To be honest I don’t think I eat a lot of carbs - maybe a small piece of toast at breakfast and many a couple of jerseys at tea time. Going on a hb1 and diet course next week. So hoping that will help.

To be honest I don’t think I eat a lot of carbs - maybe a small piece of toast at breakfast and many a couple of jerseys at tea time. Going on a hb1 and diet course next week. So hoping that will help.
I am wondering if you are misdiagnosed and you are actually Type 1 or LADA as your glucose levels are high when you are already on insulin and other oral meds and not many carbs.
Getting a correct diagnosis would help with getting technology and better support.
There are tests that can be done to help diagnose if you are Type 1 those being C-Peptide and GAD antibodies, may be worth asking.

Any guidance on T2 and CGM technology?
Hope you can get access, have been fighting for nine months due to heart related blackouts and very bad circulation making finger prick testing near impossible for my husband when I am unconscious, been on long acting nasal insulin since December and get random hypos every so often. Last set of paramedics were very unhappy they couldn’t get blood as I came out of a blackout.
So glad you have a supportive Gp and fingers crossed you can get access.

Libre can be prescribed for T2 if on 2+ insulin injections a day but it depends where you live, it’s not prescribed in my area. It is prescribed in some areas though. What medication do you take?
Hi I take Novamix30 twice a day (DN says it might have to go up to 4x day) canagliflozin 300 mg daily and Metformin 500mg daily. I am testing between 6-8 times a day.

I’m also type 2 and on basal/bolus, ( semglee and Novo rapid )
A CGM like the Libra 2 is a must it really is a game changer, I would now feel completely naked without it.
My Hba1c has dropped to 7% old school I couldn’t have done this without a CGM ( no hypos )
The CGM helps give you back control if you use it properly.
For the first time in a long time, I feel I’m now in control of my diabetes instead of it controlling me.
I feel the same. I am currently self funding the libre2. My Hba1c has been 103 and 109 last two tests. I have arthritis in my hands snd fingers so struggle to fingerprick test so hoping I can get the CGM on prescription.

Hi I take Novamix30 twice a day (DN says it might have to go up to 4x day) canagliflozin 300 mg daily and Metformin 500mg daily. I am testing between 6-8 times a day.
Would you not be better off with a basal /bolus regime rather than the mixed insulin as your HbA1C is still so high.

What are you doing with the results of the 6-8 tests if you’re on novomix and can’t correct for high bgs etc? Are some of them just needed for driving etc?

Would you not be better off with a basal /bolus regime rather than the mixed insulin as your HbA1C is still so high.
I agree you should probably push for Basal/Bolus which gives much better control

I am new to this type of insulin regime so not sure what you mean. I am waiting for a diabetic clinic appointment. I am testing when I drive and I am trying to identify which foods spike me. I am self funding libre 2 which is helping but we will see what the Diabetic Centre say. I also have severe pancreatic enzyme insufficiency so will ask them if it’s possible I have Type 3c.

I am new to this type of insulin regime so not sure what you mean. I am waiting for a diabetic clinic appointment. I am testing when I drive and I am trying to identify which foods spike me. I am self funding libre 2 which is helping but we will see what the Diabetic Centre say. I also have severe pancreatic enzyme insufficiency so will ask them if it’s possible I have Type 3c.
As already stated in my reply to your other post no you are not type3 PEI is caused by a lack of enzyme so you take creon so you can digest food it has nothing to do with diabetes at all.

The insulin you are on is a mixed dose not basal/bolus.
Have you told the DVLA you are on insulin and your ins company? If not you need to do so.

The insulin you are taking is a mixture of a slow acting insulin which is supposed to keep your glucose level in the absence of food plus a quick acting insulin (bolus) which copes with the carbohydrate in the food you eat but it is less flexible as you should eat a certain amount of carbs otherwise the insulin will either be too little and blood glucose will be high or too much and your blood glucose will be too low and you risk hypos.
A more flexible regime is to have separate insulins, one which is slow acting taken once or twice a day (basal) to cover the background release of glucose from the liver and a fast acting insulin which is taken with food or carby snacks to allow you to cope with the carbs in your meals. Those doses can be adjusted individually to suit you.
Are you taking Creon as if you you may not be digesting food properly.

I also self fund Libre2.

How long do you find that they stay stuck to your skin? I’m forever having them just slide off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back