T2 - How low is too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would ask what you have been eating since then? Obviously the chocolate bar and rice dinner were not a good choice and too much for your system to cope with and you may now have to go very low carb to bring things back down again.... or try more exercise to see if your muscles can suck it out and bring you down .... or as you have done, start with heavier medication again

Well, I occasionally 'do' chocolate.

As for rice, I've been eating that/pasta throughout my much-improved numbers, which is one thing that surprised me. Since with monitoring, I was dealing with them really well. Plus, ate carbs partly out of 'fear' / experiment because of hypos.

The only other thing has been peanuts as a snack.

Yesterday to counter higher readings, I did a brisk walk for an hour. Burnt off my breakfast but didn't go lower than 9.

Will see when I get lower, if I can ease off the meds again. But the plateau effect is new on me. Course, might have been doing that for years before using my sensor.

Ah peanuts! They always push me up onto an 8-10 plateau. Could well be those. Particularly if you are like me and find them moreish and eat far more than you should.

Hmmm... maybe we're the same. As I'll fess up. I've been eating loads past couple days as hungry!

But... in my defence(!) I googled it yesterday. As suspected I _might_ have plonked fat back into my liver? Again pure speculation.

Results on Google said they can lower sugars? I'm confused as ever. But your experience always appreciated!

And will grill my nurse when she's back.

Could not resist it.

What I have found is that treating feeling a bit hungry with a couple of squares of high cocoa chocolate or a small chunk of cheese works well. The fat content kills the hunger and the carbs and calories are not worth worrying about.

Peanuts are higher in carbs than you expect and high in fat and fibre and protein... 40% of which can also slowly be broken down into glucose..... so they keep your levels high for absolutely ages because it all makes for slow release glucose.
I am not a betting person but I would put money on the nuts being responsible.... they do it every time to me..... don't care what Google says!

Very interesting replies. And again, this forum is a font of knowledge and experience!

I do eat cheese now, and a bar of fruit and nut sometimes. x2 1 deal £1 😉

I did eat maybe a packet of peanuts each day Tues/Wed this week... and had the issues Wed evening, with my plateau problem. I didn't realise peanuts contribute to slow-release carbs. Knew about fat etc.

As it is, I'm on a good steady decline past 6 now... So, I'm tempted to restart my experiment again and remove drugs except for metformin as prior with canagliflozin -- esp. with linagliptin -- was going too low.

Question re nuts, as they've been my big snack/hunger answer. Are all nuts the same as peanuts?

Question re nuts, as they've been my big snack/hunger answer. Are all nuts the same as peanuts?
No. Peanuts are one of the highest carb nuts (technically they are not actually nuts but legumes I believe).
Walnuts, Brazils, hazelnuts and almonds are the lowest carb. Cashews, like peanuts are quite a bit higher.

I find over the last few years I can no longer tolerate on a regular basis even a tablespoon of rice or pasta.Despite been able to tolerate for the preceeding years. This is also despite being my lowest and more stable weight for years too ! So I only rarely have.

No. Peanuts are one of the highest carb nuts (technically they are not actually nuts but legumes I believe).
Walnuts, Brazils, hazelnuts and almonds are the lowest carb. Cashews, like peanuts are quite a bit higher.
Thanks. I'll switch to my next favourite... almonds!

Was afraid you might say that. Almonds are environmentally very bad, so I half toyed with omitting them from my list, but everyone has to make their own decision about these things or I believe they can be specially sourced from Spain if you want to be more ethical.

The fruit and nut is a bit of a disaster carb-wise really. Every individual dried grape or piece of other dried fruit, is the equivalent of eating granulated sugar. Bloomin lovely grabbing a handful of sultanas and enjoying them I agree - but I'd really rather teach myself or you, and anyone else with diabetes, to simply avoid them wherever possible. You can and do get used to doing without them.

Everyone is different. I‘ve eaten peanuts as my go-to nibble for decades! I generally only have a couple of handfuls, but they never seem to register on my sensor traces. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back