T2 and Binge Eating Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLMRH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I've just had my second baby so now have a 2 year old and nearly 3 month old - both boys. Life is tiring at the moment!

With my first pregnancy I had gestational diabetes, which turned into T2 just before I got pregnant with my second. This means that I'm now trying to navigate diabetes without the help of insulin, and a nurse who seems to think that tough love is best.

Here's the thing though. I've got a really disordered relationship with food due to constantly being put on diets from 8. It's been officially diagnosed as Binge Eating Disorder for a few years, and I have had treatment before - I can self-refer back, but need time to do it properly, which I don't really have right now! Any suggestion of dieting sends me into a tailspin and I end up eating badly. I definitely need to lose weight though.

Has anyone had this, or has anyone got any tips on how to manage diabetes and disordered eating? Breakfast and snacks are my biggest struggle - at breakfast I don't have much time around the boys, and for snacks I'm constantly wanting sweet food! It doesn't really help that I'm not a fan of peanut butter or egg yolk.

Any tips appreciated if you've made it this far!

Last edited:
Hi all

I've just had my second baby so now have a 2 year old and nearly 3 month old - both boys. Life is tiring at the moment!

With my first pregnancy I had gestational diabetes, which turned into T2 just before I got pregnant with my second. This means that I'm now trying to navigate diabetes without the help of insulin, and a nurse who seems to think that tough love is best.

Here's the thing though. I've got a really disordered relationship with food due to constantly being put on diets from 8. It's been officially diagnosed as Binge Eating Disorder for a few years, and I have had treatment before - I can self-refer back, but need time to do it properly, which I don't really have right now! Any suggestion of dieting sends me into a tailspin and I end up eating badly. I definitely need to lose weight though.

Has anyone had this, or has anyone got any tips on how to manage diabetes and disordered eating? Breakfast and snacks are my biggest struggle - at breakfast I don't have much time around the boys, and for snacks I'm constantly wanting sweet food! It doesn't really help that I'm not a fan of peanut butter or egg yolk.

Any tips appreciated if you've made it this far!
Welcome to the forum. You certainly have your hand full with 2 little ones. One of the problems is that people look upon changing their way of eating as A DIET whereas it really has to become a new way of eating which you enjoy and is sustainable long term not just a few weeks or months.
Finding meals based on the foods you like rather than people telling you you should eat this or that. Finding meals which are filling that don't leave you hungry means you will be less likely to snack.
Breakfast when you are in a rush is often the most difficult but many people have full fat Greek yoghurt with berries or nuts and seeds, if you don't like egg yolk can you manage it if it is scrambled or in an omelette.
Have a look at this link which has good explanation of a low carb approach with real foods which has been successful in both reducing blood glucose and for weight loss. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

As someone who lived with an eating disorder in my 20s (LONG time ago now!), I can identify with the prospect of addressing eating. I know decades on, I had an inner flap when I was diagnosed T2. I was terrified the changes I needed to make would trigger my anorexia again.

Anyway, to you: It would be helpful if you gave us an idea of the sorts of things you like to eat. The great news is,there's no need to be hungry, or to feel deprived.

I have never been a snacker, so I can't advise there, except to say that if you find a way to eat to full at mealtimes you may not need to snack so much. If I've had a bonkers day and find I'm ravenous and feel the need to gnaw a table leg, I'll tend to have a piece of cheese, or a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, just to see me to the next meal.

Do you know what your last blood test was and do you take any medications to help with your diabetes. If you are taking certain drugs you may need to be a little careful with the changes.

There will be a way forward for you, so don't panic, it's just a case of making a few changes to get you going.

I left another year before having a second child as the first was so exhausting - and although both were over 9lb I was not checked for diabetes, (this was back in the 1980s) other than a single urine dip, but I have never had a positive one of those even when a full fledged diabetic.
I have found eating a low carb diet really helped me cope with the children maintain or lose weight and to return to normal when diagnosed in my mid 60s.
The children benefited from a lack of snacks and sweets - both grew up tall, slender and very amiable - never had tantrums when small or were peevish growing up.
Eating low carb is not a diet but a way of eating. You can always find something to eat - but very soon the urge to eat reduces a lot. These days I have two meals maximum and breakfast can sometimes be forgotten completely. It is probably because the meals are nutritious so I have no cravings.

Welcome to the forum. You certainly have your hand full with 2 little ones. One of the problems is that people look upon changing their way of eating as A DIET whereas it really has to become a new way of eating which you enjoy and is sustainable long term not just a few weeks or months.
Finding meals based on the foods you like rather than people telling you you should eat this or that. Finding meals which are filling that don't leave you hungry means you will be less likely to snack.
Breakfast when you are in a rush is often the most difficult but many people have full fat Greek yoghurt with berries or nuts and seeds, if you don't like egg yolk can you manage it if it is scrambled or in an omelette.
Have a look at this link which has good explanation of a low carb approach with real foods which has been successful in both reducing blood glucose and for weight loss. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Thank you so much, I will have a look!

As someone who lived with an eating disorder in my 20s (LONG time ago now!), I can identify with the prospect of addressing eating. I know decades on, I had an inner flap when I was diagnosed T2. I was terrified the changes I needed to make would trigger my anorexia again.

Anyway, to you: It would be helpful if you gave us an idea of the sorts of things you like to eat. The great news is,there's no need to be hungry, or to feel deprived.

I have never been a snacker, so I can't advise there, except to say that if you find a way to eat to full at mealtimes you may not need to snack so much. If I've had a bonkers day and find I'm ravenous and feel the need to gnaw a table leg, I'll tend to have a piece of cheese, or a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, just to see me to the next meal.

Do you know what your last blood test was and do you take any medications to help with your diabetes. If you are taking certain drugs you may need to be a little careful with the changes.

There will be a way forward for you, so don't panic, it's just a case of making a few changes to get you going.
Thank you for replying! I think my HBA1C is 45, but not really sure how to read the blood results! I'm on Metformin but that may change in a couple of weeks.

I always thought I wasn't fussy but when people suggest high protein snacks, I find myself not liking many of them! I think I probably turn too much to carbs, sweet food or crisps. I like yoghurt, but am lactose intolerant so need to be careful with the types I choose

There are a fair few sites where you can find things to make and bake which are low carb - I have no willpower at all so I half the amounts and then am likely to eat all of it - I can resist anything but temptation - but as it is low carb, no harm done.
I think the most useful site is called something like 'sugarfreelondoner' - but there are lots to choose from.

Thank you for replying! I think my HBA1C is 45, but not really sure how to read the blood results! I'm on Metformin but that may change in a couple of weeks.

I always thought I wasn't fussy but when people suggest high protein snacks, I find myself not liking many of them! I think I probably turn too much to carbs, sweet food or crisps. I like yoghurt, but am lactose intolerant so need to be careful with the types I choose
If your HbA1C is 45 mmol/mol then that is actually not too bad, if you were just being diagnoses it would put you in prediabetic zone so really you only need to do a bit more to reduce carbs to bring it down to normal below 42. But you have a lot on your plate with the little ones so just do all you can.
My big mistake when my 2 were small (many years ago now) was finishing the bits they had left on their plates so hard to lose weight.

If your Hba1c is 45 you probably don't need to make seismic changes to manage your diabetes, but I feel strongly that if you are able to adjust your dieting a bit to be focusing less on carbs (the breads, cakes, sweets and all too delicious crisps) you may find your binge eating urges soften quite a bit.

Many people are addicted to some foods, without necessarily recognizing or acknowledging it as such. It's incredibly common.
Is your binge eating just eating "anything", or do you have go-to foods you find irresistible in a binge phase?
Please don't feel alone in disordered earting. It is astonishingly common. I don't say that to trivialise it. I know how hard it is when one's relationship with food is broken or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back