T1 - snack in between meals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carly woke up 4.1 this morning, quite shaking :-( so she need to eat regularly like every 2 hours, I guess the reason to snack in between meals is because she don't really eat big meals.
DSN coming to review tomorrow, we will see how its go

Now she is on 4 a day all you need to is learn about how the insulin works...

If the morning (fasting) reading is low then its likely the background unsulin that needs lowered, this background dose is probably the first thing to look at on MDI as it governs how much quick acting is really required.....

Fingers crossed it will be simple enough to work out the carbs and get the right dose, but as previously discussed, small kids growing fast means extra care must be taken to avoid hypos, ie. bags and bags of jelly babies, I find about 5-6 of them each hypo..

Yes, I expected the levemir at bed-time will be reduced, we will see how she go today.
I bet it is same with everyone, its go up and down all the time

Once you have stopped growing it should pretty much stay the same for good lengths of time but yes, everyone has to keep testing as requirements change on a regular basis...............

Its goods she on mdi though, look forward to hearing some feedback on the change over..........

Hi Ruth

My son went from mixes to 3 inections a day and now hes on MDI at the begining of the 6 week holiday, we carb count too and it is not as hard as i thought it was going to be. I have some salter nutri-weigh scales from ebay. They have a food menu stored in them and works out the carbs for you. Also have a collins gem carb counting book from amazon and also a carbs and cals book that has pics of portion sizes in and tell you how many carbs are in things. I use that one when we got out for meals.

Jacks bloods have been so much better now hes on MDI, I hated it when he was on mixes as Jacks control was all over the place. hypo's mid-morning and then too high later on. Lots of phone calls from the school as he was always too low or high and also lots of phone calls the hospital as we could never give corrections without ringing the dsn or hospital and many of nights I would test jack at 10pm and he would be in the 20's. Luckly our dsn is type 1 herself and i think it is her that is pushing forward our clinic and all children will now starts on MDI at our hospital, plus they are introducing the pump soon to children that want or need them.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Gem x

Now it's been 5 days since Carly started on 4 injections a day, sadly her levels are more higher, 31.8 on Sat I had to give her another narvorapid. DSN coming this afternoon to review it and to teach me carb counting so hopefully it will help

Now it's been 5 days since Carly started on 4 injections a day, sadly her levels are more higher, 31.8 on Sat I had to give her another narvorapid. DSN coming this afternoon to review it and to teach me carb counting so hopefully it will help

31.8.......wow...........i dont know of any currently prescribed monitors that go that high.............

you have been told a wee bit about carbs havent you?

How much novo rapid did you give for the 31.8?

Ruth

I am absolutely shocked that Carly was started on 4 injections a day without some sort of carb counting framework.

To be honest I'm shocked that she was on mixed insulins without you having some sort of help working out what size portions of carbs she needs at her meals to balance with the activity of the insulin she is on.

I hope you get some good advice from your DSN and that Carly's levels begin to improve. Can you remember what she had eaten on Saturday before the 31.8 and had you tested before that/seen the levels creeping up (was it a build up from earlier meals perhaps)?

Mike

She was on 1 unit of narvorapid each meal times and 2 & 1/2 units of levemir, after Sat I contacted DSN and increased narvorapid to 1 & 1/2 units and levermir to 3 units and she woke up 7.1 this morning 🙂
I believe it's these damn grapes Carly loves that is supposed to be healthy, it's the natural sugar :-S

Yes, grapes are really bad for making blood glucose shoot up, unfortunately :(

She was on 1 unit of narvorapid each meal times and 2 & 1/2 units of levemir, after Sat I contacted DSN and increased narvorapid to 1 & 1/2 units and levermir to 3 units and she woke up 7.1 this morning 🙂
I believe it's these damn grapes Carly loves that is supposed to be healthy, it's the natural sugar :-S

I dont think your far away from getting it right.............just stick at it.........once the levemir dose is right the novo dose should fall into place........obviously you have a small child so not normal circumstances but your doing really well.........you will be an expert in no time........😉

Grapes have the same effect on me :(

If Carly's anything like my two when they were that age then she'll be able to eat as many grapes as you put in front of her!

If I have around 5-7 I need to count that as around 10g of carbohydrate, so 10 grapes would be similar for me to a slice of bread. I can eat them with no problem, but I do need to factor them into my guestimations for the meal.

M

Last edited:
Update: all insulins increased by half unit, also we will start a food diary tomorrow for 3 days then work out insulins so hopefully Carly will improve 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back