T1 adult, misdiagnosed as T2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetes UK

Know Diabetes. Fight Diabetes
Staff member
I'm sure that this is not a new subject to the forum. Diabetes UK want to learn more about the issue and would like to hear from people who were misdiagnosed as an adult.

We’re keen to hear from people who were diagnosed with Type 1 as an adult, following a misdiagnosis of Type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is often diagnosed in childhood. The vast majority of children with diabetes have Type 1 diabetes, and the most common age to be diagnosed is 10-14 years old.

However, over 50 per cent of all Type 1 diabetes diagnoses take place in adults (aged 20 and over). We’ve heard from a number of adults living with Type 1 diabetes who were initially diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes.

We want to learn more about this issue. And to do this we need to hear from people who have experienced it.

Share your story
We'd like to hear from people who were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as an adult, following a misdiagnosis of Type 2 diabetes.

We’re particularly interested in speaking to you if:
  • you were diagnosed with diabetes in the last few years
  • you were initially diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes when you had symptoms of diabetes, and were started on tablets or told to improve your lifestyle
  • you later got the correct diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes
If this sounds close to your experience, or you want to share your experiences more generally, we'd love to hear from you.

Please get in touch through our website here:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/what-is-type-1-diabetes/Type -1-diabetes-and-misdiagnosis-your-stories

I conducted a straw poll on the forum and Twitter a couple of years back. I only asked for age of diagnosis but several people volunteered their hands of classification. From that small sample (200 or so?) the most difficult age to be diagnosed was 35. There or thereabouts you seemed to have a significant likelihood of T2 being assumed, when T1 was the eventual diagnosis (sometimes months or years later)

I certainly fit that bill, I've sent you my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back