t:slim x2 extended bolus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that means you could deactivate CiQ, set your extended bolus running for the extra time, and then reactivate CiQ while the bolus was running?
Tried that! But when I did it warns that it will terminate any existing bolus’s!!!

Yep! Just experimented with a 3hr extended bolus for eve meal by turning CIQ off, but then when you restart CIQ it cancels the extended portion. very frustrating :(

TBR - temp basal?? I’ll try that tonight!

TBRs (temporary basal rates) are not available when Control IQ is running unfortunately.

I guess you could deactivate CIQ and set your preferred 5hr extended bolus, then switch it off at bedtime - which assuming 11ish would be around 2hrs-3hrs after eating… then switch CIQ back on at bedtime and set the remaining ‘left over’ dose as an extended bolus which is all delayed so 0% now and 100% over 2hrs.

I suspect that’s as close as you are going to get I‘m afraid :(

Have you thought about setting up a Personal Profile specifically for those nights where you are eating late? For example you could reduce the bolus ratio (take resulting full bolus with meal) and increase the basal to replicate the extended bolus over a longer time period. Would mean changing profiles evening and morning but you soon get used to having to do so, It may take a couple of tries to get it right but having the daily bolus / basal averages gives a starting point to analyse how to change the basal rates.

Presumably the theory is that Control IQ will handle the needed change.
I find Control IQ is too conservative to handle rapid blood sugar increases or sustained high levels. When this was discussed in training the group identified that we should maintain a sick day profile with increased basal rates to switch to when necessary. It helps but sometimes still need to throw in a sneaky manual bolus.

Bizarre, what about in times of illness?
In theory you still shouldn’t need manual TBRs because the pump is continually watching what your blood sugars are doing and reacting accordingly, that’s what Control IQ does, so if you’re ill it will know you’re running too high or too low and just deal with it automatically. We haven’t tested whether it can cope with illness yet!
We did have an interesting situation the other day though. I was taking my daughter to college and she got a “low cartridge” alarm, only 4 units left. She was only going to be there for an hour though and the highest her basal goes is 2.25 u/hr and that’s only at night so no problem in the afternoon, 4 units will easily last an hour. But on the way home we got cartridge empty!! Pump had detected a blood sugar rise and chucked in an extra bolus to head it off… no Dexcom alarms went off but it’s a good job it didn’t take us long to get home. Clearly we will have to change how we think about certain things!

I know she is on a different pump but I believe @SB2015 found that her closed loop was not able to cope with the drastic increase needed for illness. Hopefully she will correct me if I am wrong about that.

Bizarre, what about in times of illness?

With the tSlim you can set up an alternative profile, (with higher basal ratios and correction factors) and the algorithm will then use that to calculate its adjustments.

I have a very low basal delivery profile to act as effectively a 0% tbr to suspend basal at the start of exercise when I think CIQ might be a bit late off the mark. I just have to remember to switch back at the end of the activity!

In theory you still shouldn’t need manual TBRs because the pump is continually watching what your blood sugars are doing and reacting accordingly, that’s what Control IQ does, so if you’re ill it will know you’re running too high or too low and just deal with it automatically. We haven’t tested whether it can cope with illness yet!
We did have an interesting situation the other day though. I was taking my daughter to college and she got a “low cartridge” alarm, only 4 units left. She was only going to be there for an hour though and the highest her basal goes is 2.25 u/hr and that’s only at night so no problem in the afternoon, 4 units will easily last an hour. But on the way home we got cartridge empty!! Pump had detected a blood sugar rise and chucked in an extra bolus to head it off… no Dexcom alarms went off but it’s a good job it didn’t take us long to get home. Clearly we will have to change how we think about certain things!
With the tSlim you can set up an alternative profile, (with higher basal ratios and correction factors) and the algorithm will then use that to calculate its adjustments.

I have a very low basal delivery profile to act as effectively a 0% tbr to suspend basal at the start of exercise when I think CIQ might be a bit late off the mark. I just have to remember to switch back at the end of the activity!

Of course it all makes sense now, hopefully switching to this new tech later in year so good to know.

Hi @bigbird42 , sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I am on a different system, but overall it copes very well with ‘normal’ situations but finds the extremes a bit more of a challenge. When I was I’ll I found that if things went very high I needed to come out of looping and do some extra monitoring and boluses in manual whilst things settled.

It looks like the t slim has a different system to help with this. Like @everydayupsanddowns i can set temporary changes on mine for exercise, but it doesn’t tell me when that is over (which my Combo did) , so if I set an extended period I need to remember to switch back when I finish. Things to keep us on our toes, but still a lot easier than not looping for most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back