swaped backround insullin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
this may be of silly question but swapd from trisbria to levemir today. I'm aware that trisbria can stay active for a long time so could they posilly be a interfiirin with each other its been a bit of wired day. so far

Yes, they definitely could. Tresiba can last for many hours. What instructions were you given about when to start the Levemir?

Yes, they definitely could. Tresiba can last for many hours. What instructions were you given about when to start the Levemir?
they said i could do it from today. at least i think they did. they said to take when i get up in the morning and when i go to bed. and to try stick to the same times i usally take trisiba around 8 in the morning nd i took my livermar around 8 this morning

Hopefully you’ve been started on a slightly low dose of Levemir to allow for any tail-off from the Tresiba, but do keep a close eye on your blood sugar over the next day or two. Levemir is a good, flexible insulin so I hope it suits you.

Hopefully you’ve been started on a slightly low dose of Levemir to allow for any tail-off from the Tresiba, but do keep a close eye on your blood sugar over the next day or two. Levemir is a good, flexible insulin so I hope it suits you.
Well they said to start off on 5 And 5 and said if they find i'm going high in the day then add a unit on.

Well you won't know for at least 3 days possibly longer as it's Tresiba so all you can do is firefight in the meantime until the T is completely out of your body.

I just got to remember to take it tonight and not just go to bed

Put an alarm on your phone if you think you will forget it

They also said they trisbia on petsection just in case i dont like it or dont get on with it

They also said they trisbia on petsection just in case i dont like it or dont get on with it

That seems sensible @rayray119 Different insulins suit different people, so it’s good to know you can change back if this one doesn’t suit you.

Just wondering how long i should give if it doesnt seem to be working

It depends @rayray119 If it’s clearly not working for you and you’re having a bad time with it, I’d only give it 2 or 3 weeks or so at max. But if it’s not causing major problems and seems ok-ish, I’d give it more like 3 months. At the end of that time, you can decide which insulin you prefer.

I have heard it peaks and trisbria doesnt so thats a litlle bit of a worry

The peaks are relatively small but they can be an advantage because your body needs more insulin at some times of day and less at others, so the Levemir peak can be one of it's benefits. Bodies are rarely uniform, so they rarely need exactly the same amount of insulin throughout the day and night which is what Tresiba provides, so at the times when you need less, Tresiba is often giving you more than you need, which is effectively the same as a peak, but you have no means to adjust that. If the Levemir gives you a peak in the wrong place, you can change the dose for that time of day or perhaps adjust when you take it, to move the peak to a time when you will need it more. It's a really great basal insulin, but it does take time and thought to find how best to use it for your body.

How long would you give it before knocking somthing down a dose

At least beyond the 3 days as the Tresiba will still be overlapping at that time and meaning you have both basals in your system. You may need to top up with small carby snacks like biscuits here and there for a few days until the Tresiba is totally out of your system and you can then see how you are responding to the Levemir doses. It would also be wise to set an alarm through the night to check your levels and have a couple of biscuits at bedtime during this period to make sure you don't drop too low.
Are you having hypos already? Is that why you are asking about when to adjust the dose?

Had a one before luch.tryied ti stop in with a couple of jellt babies in didnt work Had a biscut aroud mintue and was still kind of the low side before backfsdt finger pick said 4.7

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-25-10-58-20.png
    Screenshot_2021-11-25-10-58-20.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 8
That's a really good looking graph and looks like you caught the low quickly and dealt with it well. You should have more confidence in what you are doing.

That's a really good looking graph and looks like you caught the low quickly and dealt with it well. You should have more confidence in what you are doing.
well it actully wasn't quite low when i tested it was 4.2 so i tried to prevent it with a couple of jely babies but didnt work because when i retested it said 3.4. hey ho stuff happens. poislly being a bit brave tnight with a piza in the oven. i do have a back up just in case i chicken out.

Was the 3.4 retest a finger prick or Libre reading? My Libre reading always goes lower before it comes up even though my finger prick shows I am well above 4 15 mins later.
hey ho stuff happens.
This is totally the attitude to have! Good for you! You do your best. If it doesn't work perfectly, you just have to look and see what you could perhaps have done better.... maybe 3JBs instead of 2 next time, maybe not.... and then just shrug and accept that this is the nature of diabetes.
The extra basal insulin still in your system from the Tresiba as well as the Levemir is likely responsible and there is not a lot you can do about that, so just keep an eye on it and keep topping up with carbs when you need to.

being a bit brave tnight with a piza in the oven. i do have a back up just in case i chicken out.
Be brave and enjoy! If it goes wrong, look and see what you can learn from it but don't let it put you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back