Suspected Tooth Abscess

Sorry to hear it’s an abscess @rebrascora At least it’s been found now and you have the antibiotics. Hopefully they’ll help a lot. I don’t have any implants but don’t be nervous about the extraction. I had a wisdom tooth taken out at the dentist and felt nothing. I had the injections and honestly couldn’t feel anything. For a day or two afterwards my jaw kind of ached but that might have been having my mouth open and the dentist working so far back rather than aching from the tooth socket. It was only mild anyway and didn’t bother me too much. I had to rinse my mouth with warm, salty water two or three times a day, but it healed quickly and with no issues.

Anyone got any experience of implants.... good or bad?

I had two implants in March 2021.
Prior to the 'Big D' diagnosis, I had already enquired about them, but the dentist took one look at my gums and said, 'no way.' I had to have the gum disease cleared up first. It all cleared up around the time I got hba1c down and I had to have some bone grafting to build up the gum in one place.

The whole process was flawless. The dentist I used had just bought a scanner, so they did all the scans in house to see where my nerve was and used 3D computer modelling to create an image of my teeth so the crown so it fitted in with my existing teeth. The actual implant procedure was painless.

They screw the implant into the gum and then put a cap on it. This was then left for a few months to 'fuse''. My cap came unscrewed a few times, but I just popped back in so they could screw it back in and clean it out.

Once fused, the new crown was screwed on. There's been a few check ups since, but the gum bone has actually healed upwards so the dentist was very happy (And surprised.)

They were also not surprised about the diabetes. When I went for the final treatment I'd lost 3 stone and the dentist who was doing the grafting was amazed - and she mentioned links between T2D and gum disease.

I'm over the moon with the implants. Not had a single issue with them.

Just to clarify, it isn't pain that concerns me, it is the unpleasantness of the heaving and levering and the possibility of the tooth splintering and having to be dug out and probably also if I am honest, a control issue as I am a bit of a control freak. You are certainly very vulnerable in that situation. I have had to have a couple of teeth extracted in the last 15 years but not full molars and this one will not be easy because there isn't much above the surface to get hold of.

I also remember my Mam being in the chair an hour and a quarter whilst they tried to extract one of her teeth and she was in her 70s at the time and not in good health and hers splintered and it was a huge ordeal for her and in the end they didn't get it all out and she suffered with infections as well as both physical and mental trauma and we had to take her down to the dental hospital to get it sorted eventually.
I know my gums and roots are pretty strong and I suspect they will not part company easily.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at once under GA when I was in my early 20s and to be honest I would prefer that, but obviously can't be justified in this case.

Oddly I am much less concerned or squeamish about having the implant itself.... well... other than paying for it! :rofl: It is just the extraction process which rattles my mental cage.

Oh dear, that's not what you need. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and keep you going whilst you think and holiday.
I have just had a crown removed, very old, and the options were a bridge, and implant or a plate. Did not want a bridge, that was a waste of two perfectly good teeth, an implant was £1000+, small plate was £700ish. Our dentist has been private for years, but he did advise me of cost before starting. Left decision to me, I have gone with a plate which I don't really like but it's only an eye tooth so I only wear it when out......if I remember!!!!
Agree about the chewing though, just have to be careful.
My sister has a friend in the process of implants...........HORRENDOUS AND COSTLY !!!!!!!! NEARLY £12K. but that's. a whole mouth. She has has so many problems and painful sessions.........all for vanity. It certainly would make me think twice.........cost and pain...........
Saying that , new washing machine today.....in shop, pointed that one please. And delivered on Thursday. When one hasto spend, one has to spend.

@rebrascora Obviously I couldn’t see what the dentist was doing, but my wisdom tooth had just poked through the gum so there was hardly anything to grab. I know he had a couple of tools because he stopped to change tool at one point, but he seemed to be working methodically to loosen/expose the tooth. He then pulled it initially to get a feel of it, then pulled it out. The whole process, including injections and him chatting to me before and after only took 20 minutes max. I have a tiny mouth and this wisdom tooth was way back (which was why it had to come out) but the extraction was much easier and better than I was imagining it would be.

I had my back tooth removed. No implant etc, don't miss it.
I'd consider an implant if it was something you could see or left a gap between teeth, but, to be honest, i don't see the point for a back tooth. Mind you, i do have a smallish and slightly overcrowded mouth so perhaps for a 'normal' person a gap may be an issue but the dentist at the dental hospital (where i refered to get it out due to the possible danger of facial nerve damage if not done right) never even mentioned options re replacement.
By the way, despite being quite decayed (it wasn't at first but there was waiting list for dental hospital) mine came out with no issues, really quickly. I remember being surprised at how quick and easy it was and said something like 'well done!' to the dentist...as well as i could with a numb mouth.
I was a bit delicate for a day or so but otherwise it was easy and straight forward and a lot less stressy than fillings/root canal

I had my back tooth removed. No implant etc, don't miss it.
I'd consider an implant if it was something you could see or left a gap between teeth, but, to be honest, i don't see the point for a back tooth. Mind you, i do have a smallish and slightly overcrowded mouth so perhaps for a 'normal' person a gap may be an issue but the dentist at the dental hospital (where i refered to get it out due to the possible danger of facial nerve damage if not done right) never even mentioned options re replacement.
By the way, despite being quite decayed (it wasn't at first but there was waiting list for dental hospital) mine came out with no issues, really quickly. I remember being surprised at how quick and easy it was and said something like 'well done!' to the dentist...as well as i could with a numb mouth.
I was a bit delicate for a day or so but otherwise it was easy and straight forward and a lot less stressy than fillings/root canal
I have already lost one premolar at the top on the opposite side so whilst I would ordinarily agree with you that a back one going the journey isn't visible or particularly important, I do feel like I am getting down on good chewing surfaces if I lose this one as well and I really like to chew crunchy things which can be uncomfortable when they hit a gap, so it is more about having a good strong functional replacement than cosmetic.
I didn't consider getting the premolar replaced with an implant as it wasn't offered at the time but I wasted money on a partial denture which I could not get the hang of wearing at all and have just lived with the gap which is not visible unless I throw my head back and laugh my socks off but I don't half feel it if I get a nut wedged in the gap.

I have already lost one premolar at the top on the opposite side so whilst I would ordinarily agree with you that a back one going the journey isn't visible or particularly important, I do feel like I am getting down on good chewing surfaces if I lose this one as well and I really like to chew crunchy things which can be uncomfortable when they hit a gap, so it is more about having a good strong functional replacement than cosmetic.
I didn't consider getting the premolar replaced with an implant as it wasn't offered at the time but I wasted money on a partial denture which I could not get the hang of wearing at all and have just lived with the gap which is not visible unless I throw my head back and laugh my socks off but I don't half feel it if I get a nut wedged in the gap.
When I had my implants which were at the top at the back but the tooth that broke off with the previous bridge was visible as it was quite far forward and the gap would have been 3 teeth they advised that I wore a partial denture otherwise the lower teeth could move upwards as they would not have pressure from above until the implants were installed. I just couldn't bear it, I felt as if I was choking all the time and couldn't speak properly which was a bit problematic as I was talking to students all the time.
When the tooth at the back on the other side split and needed to come out, I didn't really think it was a problem not to do anything and apart from biting my cheek it hasn't.
I hope you are getting some relief from the antibiotics.

I have never thought of implants but I am not keen on dentists. I have had a wisdom tooth and on the other side a back tooth out in the last three years. The dentist used two injections and both were painless. I have had two tooth absesses probably connected to falling on my face as a student after too many beers after a mixed rugby match. I remember on a Friday my tooth bottom front was a bit sore and over the weekend it got worse. Dad took me to the hospital on the Bank holiday Monday but they wouldn't do anything. Another Bank holiday on the Tuesday and saw dentist Wednesday. I remember pain as excruciating but after he had packed it and cleaned it antibiotics worked very quickly. I have subsequently more than forty years later had root filling redone. At least you are out of pain and I hope you have " un buen viaje"

I have never thought of implants but I am not keen on dentists. I have had a wisdom tooth and on the other side a back tooth out in the last three years. The dentist used two injections and both were painless. I have had two tooth absesses probably connected to falling on my face as a student after too many beers after a mixed rugby match. I remember on a Friday my tooth bottom front was a bit sore and over the weekend it got worse. Dad took me to the hospital on the Bank holiday Monday but they wouldn't do anything. Another Bank holiday on the Tuesday and saw dentist Wednesday. I remember pain as excruciating but after he had packed it and cleaned it antibiotics worked very quickly. I have subsequently more than forty years later had root filling redone. At least you are out of pain and I hope you have " un buen viaje"
I had my first abscess after falling. I was only 14 so wasn’t drunk! I was playing leap frog, obviously I wasn’t very good at it and landed on a front door step smashing both front teeth! I got caps on, they don’t crown your teeth until you’re “fully grown” then the abscess a couple of months later. 43 years later after having my crowns ( which I eventually got when I was 20) replaced, the abscess came back. Consequently I hate going to the dentist. Years and years of work because I was rubbish at leapfrog!

My partner had a molar out a few years ago.
It had split in two and was infected.
He is a but squeamish but came back reasonable calm.
He later had an implant when all the swelling and infection was gone and it has been good since. The only thing is that he was warned to be ultra vigilant with flossing and has to use a specific technique.
Regarding cost, you may want to budget for regular check ups where they unscrew the tooth to clean and refix it. I am not sure if this is normal but is something my partner did for the first couple of years. He still has an annual implant check up (in addition to his normal check up) but he hasn't mentioned the unscrewing for a few years,

My partner had a molar out a few years ago.
It had split in two and was infected.
He is a but squeamish but came back reasonable calm.
He later had an implant when all the swelling and infection was gone and it has been good since. The only thing is that he was warned to be ultra vigilant with flossing and has to use a specific technique.
Regarding cost, you may want to budget for regular check ups where they unscrew the tooth to clean and refix it. I am not sure if this is normal but is something my partner did for the first couple of years. He still has an annual implant check up (in addition to his normal check up) but he hasn't mentioned the unscrewing for a few years,
I use one of the water flossers which is effective as I find it hard to get floss between my teeth as they are so tight together.

Thanks for that @helli . This info all adds to the research and questions I need to ask. I use interdental brushes rather than floss as like @Leadinglights my teeth are quite tight at the top in places but the interdental brushes work pretty well at gum level and my dentist is rather keen on those. Think I am going to need an initial consultation with the implant guy to get all my questions answered before I commit.

In the mean time, I am pleased to report that there is less discomfort although still some throbbing this morning when I yomped up the hill to see to the horses. Still fighting higher BG levels with more insulin that I would like but needs must. Tummy was a bit upset this morning which I am guessing is the Amoxicillin but managing to eat a bit less painfully despite that crown now being missing.

Just to clarify, it isn't pain that concerns me, it is the unpleasantness of the heaving and levering and the possibility of the tooth splintering and having to be dug out and probably also if I am honest, a control issue as I am a bit of a control freak. You are certainly very vulnerable in that situation. I have had to have a couple of teeth extracted in the last 15 years but not full molars and this one will not be easy because there isn't much above the surface to get hold of.

I also remember my Mam being in the chair an hour and a quarter whilst they tried to extract one of her teeth and she was in her 70s at the time and not in good health and hers splintered and it was a huge ordeal for her and in the end they didn't get it all out and she suffered with infections as well as both physical and mental trauma and we had to take her down to the dental hospital to get it sorted eventually.
I know my gums and roots are pretty strong and I suspect they will not part company easily.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at once under GA when I was in my early 20s and to be honest I would prefer that, but obviously can't be justified in this case.

Oddly I am much less concerned or squeamish about having the implant itself.... well... other than paying for it! :rofl: It is just the extraction process which rattles my mental cage.
An infection can have effect of loosening a tooth slightly. The pain you experience in the swelling at the root tip as the puss collects (initially in tiny quantities); hence your feeling like your tooth was a bit proud of your others. It probably was.

I'm sure your dentist will handle things fine, and worrying about it won't change anything, although you know that last bit anyway.

Good luck with it all.

Back