*SURVEY CLOSED* Predictors of psychological functioning among adults with Type 1 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wik1a

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Many thanks to everyone who helped me! Survey is closed and I can start the next step - statistics 😉
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello! 🙂

My name is Wiktoria and I am a second-year master’s degree student in psychology at Arden University.

I am asking you, people with Type 1 Diabetes, to kindly fill out the following questionnaire, which will help me in writing my master’s thesis.

I myself have constantly endured the difficulties of living with diabetes for more than 15 years, and the main purpose of this thesis is to investigate predictors of psychological functioning among adults with Type 1 Diabetes, which consequently should draw attention to the problem in order to help with future education and more effective self-management, for both, those with the disease and their loved ones.

Participation in the study is anonymous and voluntary, and the results will be generalized. The entire survey should take about 15-25 minutes. It is not as difficult as it sounds!

https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/EBA67DB4-71A7-45D0-9024-623EEBFDAFE0

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me 🙂

Thank you very much for your help and your time.

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns

Last edited:
Hello! 🙂

My name is Wiktoria and I am a second-year master’s degree student in psychology at Arden University.

I am asking you, people with Type 1 Diabetes, to kindly fill out the following questionnaire, which will help me in writing my master’s thesis.

I myself have constantly endured the difficulties of living with diabetes for more than 15 years, and the main purpose of this thesis is to investigate predictors of psychological functioning among adults with Type 1 Diabetes, which consequently should draw attention to the problem in order to help with future education and more effective self-management, for both, those with the disease and their loved ones.

Participation in the study is anonymous and voluntary, and the results will be generalized. The entire survey should take about 15-25 minutes.

https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/EBA67DB4-71A7-45D0-9024-623EEBFDAFE0

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me 🙂

Thank you very much for your help and your time.

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns
Please, it would mean a world to me if few more people would take part in it! 🙂

I took part immediately after I read your first post.

Only thing I noticed I could possibly pick flies with was the very short definition of type 1 diabetes in brackets at the beginning " ...... (insulin dependant diabetes)" cos there are shedloads more insulin dependent people with diabetes caused by other things than the classic auto-immune sort which I have and so does anyone with LADA/type 1.5.

Oh - and PS, folks - I also found the questions much simpler to answer than any number of others we've seen.

I took part immediately after I read your first post.

Only thing I noticed I could possibly pick flies with was the very short definition of type 1 diabetes in brackets at the beginning " ...... (insulin dependant diabetes)" cos there are shedloads more insulin dependent people with diabetes caused by other things than the classic auto-immune sort which I have and so does anyone with LADA/type 1.5.
Good morning and thank you for pointing it out! I myself know that this description is simplified, but this is how my supervisor advised me. He was worried that there would be a lot of information to read anyway, and we wanted a typical distinction between people with type 1 diabetes (many scientific articles also focus mainly on type 1 and 2, and don't mention the others) and other types. But I really do appreciate your comment - I will have more information that I can put in the limitations, which is also a valuable resource for the future! 🙂

Oh - and PS, folks - I also found the questions much simpler to answer than any number of others we've seen.
Thank you, I know it can sound scary at the beginning, with all of the informations that I had to attach, but it is quite simple questionnaire 🙂

I've just filled it out, there's a difficulty with the questions (and the same is true of most other questionnaires I've filled out) in that the answers I give are not necessarily related to my diabetes (which is presumably what the questionnaire wants to know about), but rather to having shed loads of work to do before the end of the year and some sort of cold. One of the questions was about the last two weeks, which the above align with (unfortunately.)

I'd have thought it would be better to be more specific about the causes of things like sleeplessness, lack of appetite, etc. and ask whether these are due to diabetes or something else (i.e. work and illness) or simply don't specify a time period and say something like "typically" - though I don't know how this affects what people remember.

Good luck with your research in any case and I hope you have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year 🙂

I've just filled it out, there's a difficulty with the questions (and the same is true of most other questionnaires I've filled out) in that the answers I give are not necessarily related to my diabetes (which is presumably what the questionnaire wants to know about), but rather to having shed loads of work to do before the end of the year and some sort of cold. One of the questions was about the last two weeks, which the above align with (unfortunately.)

I'd have thought it would be better to be more specific about the causes of things like sleeplessness, lack of appetite, etc. and ask whether these are due to diabetes or something else (i.e. work and illness) or simply don't specify a time period and say something like "typically" - though I don't know how this affects what people remember.

Good luck with your research in any case and I hope you have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year 🙂
Thank you very much and I take all comments to heart! I also wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I started the questionnaire but pulled the plug as there is no need for an anonymous piece of research to attempt to track my location - three attempts in the first minute! They suspect I have PTSD not from diabetes but by the treatment I received during lockdown when I suffered a LBKA amputation, was in a locked Covid recovery ward for six months and Adult (Don't) Care tried to make me a permanent care home resident.

I started the questionnaire but pulled the plug as there is no need for an anonymous piece of research to attempt to track my location - three attempts in the first minute! They suspect I have PTSD not from diabetes but by the treatment I received during lockdown when I suffered a LBKA amputation, was in a locked Covid recovery ward for six months and Adult (Don't) Care tried to make me a permanent care home resident.
Sorry, but I am a little bit confused... What actually happened? The survey does not require you to provide your location, nor is it necessary to give your consent for this type of activity...
If I can I will try to help!

Good morning @wik1a
I have just tried to fill in your survey and it froze after I had done the first three pages. Tried again and the same thing happened. I shall ‘step away from the computer’ and try again tomorrow in the hopes that It will work.

Good morning @wik1a
I have just tried to fill in your survey and it froze after I had done the first three pages. Tried again and the same thing happened. I shall ‘step away from the computer’ and try again tomorrow in the hopes that It will work.
Thank you for trying! I checked and I did not receive any error or freezing, so everything should work just fine. If you have the time, please try again, if it fails then it's a pity. Nothing else we can do. But thanks again for your willingness to help! Greetings! 🙂

Thank you for trying! I checked and I did not receive any error or freezing, so everything should work just fine. If you have the time, please try again, if it fails then it's a pity. Nothing else we can do. But thanks again for your willingness to help! Greetings! 🙂
Done. Must have been my tech ‘skills’

No problem, sometimes this online world works in mysterious ways :D Thank you again!

Hello, everyone!
I would be really thankful for few more answers! The whole survey is not as difficult as it sounds 🙂

I wish everyone happy new year and good scores of course! 🙂 <3

I changed from 640G pump with Type 3 sensors to 780g + type 4 sensors unexpectedly a few evenings ago because several type 3 sensors malfunctioned and I ran out. My 640 ran out of warranty in November and my 780 training is not due for a few more weeks (NHS under stress). I used to have nightmare hypos at night before CGM and started the 780 pump +type 4 CGM very suddenly with no training because I couldn’t face my wife also having the nightmare of having to force feed me glucose against my will (common hypoglycaemic reaction). It has been astonishingly easy. The type four sensor works perfectly, so the constant anxiety of arbitrary type 3 readings is over. My diabetic life has calmed down wonderfully. Far fewer shocks.

Your questionnaire makes it look as if Type 1 diabetes is logical and factual, but mine hasn’t been for 67 years until now. I eat the same quantity of carbs for breakfast every morning with the same 4.1 units of insulin and get different BG readings every day. These differences are not because of the different glycaemic indices of the food, or different activity or different moods. It feels arbitrary. I’ve been trying to find patterns for 67 years and there aren’t any. I eat an excellent diet of fish, vegetables fruit and cheese and do adequate exercise every day. I am a very happy person if mystified by my diabetes that has never followed the rules. I have mild hypos every couple of days which I cope with by eating or drinking something sweet quickly. I haven’t since I started CGM had a bad nighttime hypo that I was unable to deal with myself, generally woken by CGM alarm, though with type 3 sensors inaccuracy, my BG readings might be 3.6 or 9, when the type 3 sensor said 4.0, but CGM woke me up before I couldn’t deal with it. Anyway, my 780 and type 4 sensors will make my life much easier. Keeping that awful blue balloon off the floor all these years has been exhausting. Plead with your local diabetic centre to get you the 780 and type 4 sensor (or your alternative system) as quickly as you can. It is life-changing.
Adam

I changed from 640G pump with Type 3 sensors to 780g + type 4 sensors unexpectedly a few evenings ago because several type 3 sensors malfunctioned and I ran out. My 640 ran out of warranty in November and my 780 training is not due for a few more weeks (NHS under stress). I used to have nightmare hypos at night before CGM and started the 780 pump +type 4 CGM very suddenly with no training because I couldn’t face my wife also having the nightmare of having to force feed me glucose against my will (common hypoglycaemic reaction). It has been astonishingly easy. The type four sensor works perfectly, so the constant anxiety of arbitrary type 3 readings is over. My diabetic life has calmed down wonderfully. Far fewer shocks.

Your questionnaire makes it look as if Type 1 diabetes is logical and factual, but mine hasn’t been for 67 years until now. I eat the same quantity of carbs for breakfast every morning with the same 4.1 units of insulin and get different BG readings every day. These differences are not because of the different glycaemic indices of the food, or different activity or different moods. It feels arbitrary. I’ve been trying to find patterns for 67 years and there aren’t any. I eat an excellent diet of fish, vegetables fruit and cheese and do adequate exercise every day. I am a very happy person if mystified by my diabetes that has never followed the rules. I have mild hypos every couple of days which I cope with by eating or drinking something sweet quickly. I haven’t since I started CGM had a bad nighttime hypo that I was unable to deal with myself, generally woken by CGM alarm, though with type 3 sensors inaccuracy, my BG readings might be 3.6 or 9, when the type 3 sensor said 4.0, but CGM woke me up before I couldn’t deal with it. Anyway, my 780 and type 4 sensors will make my life much easier. Keeping that awful blue balloon off the floor all these years has been exhausting. Plead with your local diabetic centre to get you the 780 and type 4 sensor (or your alternative system) as quickly as you can. It is life-changing.
Adam
Good to hear that you are getting on so well with the 780 along with Guardian 4 sensors. Are you using it in Smartguard? I found that had a massive impact once I had got used to switching to the Medtronic pump. In the pumping section there is a thread dedicated to 780 users which you might find useful.
We have posted many tips and workarounds for different situations.

As you say no two days are the same but I have found that I am happy to let the Smartguard ‘talk‘ to my sensor and pump and make necessary changes.

Adam
Hi, thank you for your comment! Yes, I know this questionnaire has some flaws and thanks to people like you it is easier for me to catch them and add them to the recommendations. Unfortunately, MOST OF THE TIME (not always, but still often), such questionnaires are created and researched by people who don't have, for example diabetes, so they rely on dry information from books. We diabetics know that life writes different scenarios :(
It is good that after so many years you are still doing well and 780 changed your life! I hope it will last!
Best wishes!

A comment to boost the thread! 😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back