Surprise type 2 diagnosis

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome and good luck :) I think you will be fine - nearly lost a stone already.
I too was Slimming World (pre-diagnosis) and I actually find following low carb much easier the whole red//green//both - so if you got your head around SW you will be able to make this shift. Some lovely recipe ideas given here - but check out the recipe section of the forum - I lived in there and the Learning Zone when I was first diagnosed - which was also out of the blue and results of bloods I asked for as I had 3 x abscesses in 10 months and knew something was wrong. But I turned it around 3 months in.

Struggling with the maintenance since I haven't worked during lockdown and everything is upside down.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Once I was seeing under 8mmol/l after any meal I stopped testing it, so I stopped testing after breakfast fairly quickly and then concentrated on the options for dinner, gradually stopping as I felt confident none of the choices would spike me.

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome and good luck :) I think you will be fine - nearly lost a stone already.
I too was Slimming World (pre-diagnosis) and I actually find following low carb much easier the whole red//green//both - so if you got your head around SW you will be able to make this shift. Some lovely recipe ideas given here - but check out the recipe section of the forum - I lived in there and the Learning Zone when I was first diagnosed - which was also out of the blue and results of bloods I asked for as I had 3 x abscesses in 10 months and knew something was wrong. But I turned it around 3 months in.

Struggling with the maintenance since I haven't worked during lockdown and everything is upside down.
Thanks for your encouragement. I've lost 15 lbs now and finding the low carb, low sugar relatively easy to manage. Not hungry either but it's all been a big wake up call.

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Once I was seeing under 8mmol/l after any meal I stopped testing it, so I stopped testing after breakfast fairly quickly and then concentrated on the options for dinner, gradually stopping as I felt confident none of the choices would spike me.
Thanks, that's really helpful and makes sense.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
However don't be too quick to abandon testing For Ever - as we get older and our bodies change, as they inevitably do even if we're fit as fleas and have perfect this that and the other - eg head hair starts growing grey (and male pattern hair loss) - then OMG if you thought that was traumatic - later our pubes follow suit, to me that was worse cos it absolutely proved that fact (ie ageing) which really hacked me off.

As you see - I've had diabetes a good while but along with natural things - that never stands still either so I still get surprises when something that's been fine for years and years, now isn't.

Reactions: Ljc

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, I burst out laughing with your tales of getting older, thanks! It's ok, I'm still testing every day just not after breakfast. I feel all I'm doing is stab, stab, stab! So far so good and trying things like low sugar baked beans. Yip, it was fine. Was super strict at 1st...fish & veg, chicken & veg...trying to branch out a bit now. It's really good to get responses and differing views and I'm trying not to visualise your lady garden in my head (with apologies to sensitive souls)...

Reactions: Ljc

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Please be aware that a Type 1 diabetic has at her fingertips various sharp implements, not to mention the cutlery drawer, a selection of DIY tools and a selection of things that go bang when loaded and you pull the trigger ....