Surprise alternative to potatoes in a casserole

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same wife that drinks the green sludge for lunch?
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...if I remember right Martin...wasn't it some kind of Kale smoothie...just shuddered at the thought.

😱😱😱 'sprout' and 'curry'??! Two things I run a mile from! Yuk and yuk again... (sorry, @Blue flash 😉 )
This is really making me giggle...can't think why I hadn't read it before.

There are three foodstuffs that I disliked intensely as a child - beetroot, celery and radishes 😱 But I only ever tried radishes as a salad vegetable, so maybe this would be different. I used to make excellent chocolate cake using beetroot too, so it's not impossible that I might be able to manage radishes in a casserole! 🙂

I feel I have to jump to the defence of celery here. I find it delicious in a variety of forms.

There are three foodstuffs that I disliked intensely as a child - beetroot, celery and radishes 😱 But I only ever tried radishes as a salad vegetable, so maybe this would be different. I used to make excellent chocolate cake using beetroot too, so it's not impossible that I might be able to manage radishes in a casserole! 🙂
I have all three in salads, as long as the beetroot hasn't been doused in vinegar

I have popped them into a slow cooker curry and casserole on a few occasions and found them totally acceptable. They loose the redness and turn white.

If you are a super taster like me - and I sympathise - try simmering the radishes for ten minutes, make sure they are well covered in the water, then allow them to stand for half an hour before adding them to the casserole or roasting tin.

If you are a super taster like me - and I sympathise - try simmering the radishes for ten minutes, make sure they are well covered in the water, then allow them to stand for half an hour before adding them to the casserole or roasting tin.
What’s a super taster please Drummer?

Oh, I’m one too! A super taster is someone who has a lot of tastebuds on their tongue! So, vegetables can taste bitter to them! The oposite of that is someone with less, than average, taste buds, like my late mum, who coold eat anything without it tasting too salty, sweet, bitter etc. I can taste the difference between different brands of bottled water! My tastebuds were more sensitive than our chefs, when in the restaurant business, & I tasted the sauces, curry, sweet & sour & gravy, everyday! I could taste the difference between 2tsp less sugar in a vat of curry sauce that our chefs could not!

Oh, I’m one too! A super taster is someone who has a lot of tastebuds on their tongue! So, vegetables can taste bitter to them! The oposite of that is someone with less, than average, taste buds, like my late mum, who coold eat anything without it tasting too salty, sweet, bitter etc. I can taste the difference between different brands of bottled water! My tastebuds were more sensitive than our chefs, when in the restaurant business, & I tasted the sauces, curry, sweet & sour & gravy, everyday! I could taste the difference between 2tsp less sugar in a vat of curry sauce that our chefs could not!
I have learned something new today. I have actually not heard of this condition before.

Me too! The worst for me is cauliflower. I’ve tried mashing, dry frying, cooking with garlic and nothing will remove the bitter taste

Cauliflower is not like that if it is FRESH - hence unless you can pick it yourself from your garden and cook it within a couple of hours - use frozen florets instead since they are frozen mega quickly after picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back