Surprise alternative to potatoes in a casserole

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdeleTurner72

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just made a beef casserole in my slow-cooker, using whole radishes as a substitute for potato. The idea came from a recipe I saw on YouTube. Absolutely delicious. The radishes soften to the texture of tinned new potatoes. Reminded me of the tinned potatoes I had as a kid! Has anyone else tried this?

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_180744.jpg
    IMG_20180609_180744.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180609_180810.jpg
    IMG_20180609_180810.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 14
There are three foodstuffs that I disliked intensely as a child - beetroot, celery and radishes 😱 But I only ever tried radishes as a salad vegetable, so maybe this would be different. I used to make excellent chocolate cake using beetroot too, so it's not impossible that I might be able to manage radishes in a casserole! 🙂

Just made a beef casserole in my slow-cooker, using whole radishes as a substitute for potato. The idea came from a recipe I saw on YouTube. Absolutely delicious. The radishes soften to the texture of tinned new potatoes. Reminded me of the tinned potatoes I had as a kid! Has anyone else tried this?
That does sound interesting. Were The radishes normal sized or larger than average?

That does sound interesting. Were The radishes normal sized or larger than average?
Normal size. Just trim the ends off and use whole.

There are three foodstuffs that I disliked intensely as a child - beetroot, celery and radishes 😱 But I only ever tried radishes as a salad vegetable, so maybe this would be different. I used to make excellent chocolate cake using beetroot too, so it's not impossible that I might be able to manage radishes in a casserole! 🙂
I'd agree with you about celery, it's the food of the devil.😱 I actually don't like radishes raw either, but cooked they were a revelation! :D

No offence intended but I'm not sure I'd want to be in the room if someone's on metformin and eating radishes! 😱:D

No offence intended but I'm not sure I'd want to be in the room if someone's on metformin and eating radishes! 😱:D
Tee hee.... Actually they had no effect on me! :D

I would never have dreamt of cooking radishes at all. We have some growing in our garden & they are huge!

Guess you wouldn't want to be in the town, when I've cooked a sprout curry then.. never knew that was possible side effect of metaformin, think been doing fine so far

I would never have dreamt of cooking radishes at all. We have some growing in our garden & they are huge!
I think the bigger ones would be even better. Think of a cross between turnip and potato, that's a cooked radish. I'm definitely going to try them roasted too.

I think the bigger ones would be even better. Think of a cross between turnip and potato, that's a cooked radish. I'm definitely going to try them roasted too.
Had some yesterday with my dinner. I was impressed, but wifey wasn't for some reason.

Guess you wouldn't want to be in the town, when I've cooked a sprout curry then.. never knew that was possible side effect of metaformin, think been doing fine so far
😱😱😱 'sprout' and 'curry'??! Two things I run a mile from! Yuk and yuk again... (sorry, @Blue flash 😉 )

Sprout curry sounds dangerous to me.😱

@AdeleTurner72
I have them cooking in China but I have never thought of trying them here in a slow cooker.
Excellent idea and on my bucket list of things to try
🙂
Thanks for sharing

Had some yesterday with my dinner. I was impressed, but wifey wasn't for some reason.
The same wife that drinks the green sludge for lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back