Surely this isn't quite right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did Camp America in 2007, I used to test and inject in front of the kids and staff all the time, and none of them picked up on it until about a month after I'd been there.

Were they stupid? Goodness me (*shakes head*). Theres the sublime and then the ridiculous....:D

Bernie xx

Nice one ypauly,couldn't of put it better myself. Alison M I AM SQUEAMISH, saying it's the sqeamish person's problem is unfair, nursing runs through my family, but stops with me!Wannabe nurse/carer Sheena😱

Better to test while at your desk than to be talking crap on the phone to clients when hypo surely!

I agree with ypauly- and god help anyone who gets a papercut in that place, they would probably demand a helicopter and full trauma team! 🙂

Any update on how it went? oh and did you do well with the live calls? hoping good on both counts.

I would expect that if you explain to them they will be understanding. I have found no problem with testing and injecting in front of my work colleagues. One of them has diabetes too and will usually go off to the toilets to do hers, but sometimes will inject in front of me or in the kitchen when others are around, so I think I might have made her feel more comfortable doing it.

Right - today. The first thing I did was mention it to my buddy and he was fine with it, and asked loads of questions about diabetes. That was ace. I tested at my desk and no one noticed which I was very pleased about. No hypos, if anything I was running a tad higher than normal, floating at around 10 all day, probably due to nerves, adrenaline etc.

In all, a very good day and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Found out what team I'll be on today and am very pleased with it - I'm going to have a word with the team manager before I start there and just make sure they know. The floor manager is fine with it all as well and has said she'll keep a close eye and has no issues with me doing it on the floor. I think it was just my trainer being a bit worried that I might offend someone 😛 😱:D

Right - today. The first thing I did was mention it to my buddy and he was fine with it, and asked loads of questions about diabetes. That was ace. I tested at my desk and no one noticed which I was very pleased about. No hypos, if anything I was running a tad higher than normal, floating at around 10 all day, probably due to nerves, adrenaline etc.

In all, a very good day and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Found out what team I'll be on today and am very pleased with it - I'm going to have a word with the team manager before I start there and just make sure they know. The floor manager is fine with it all as well and has said she'll keep a close eye and has no issues with me doing it on the floor. I think it was just my trainer being a bit worried that I might offend someone 😛 😱:D
Way to go well done 🙂

Yes, it's good to get first day nerves out of the way (for them as well as you!) :D

I'm glad it went well for you.

Andy 🙂

Congatulations on the new job and so pleased you got everything sorted.

For me there's never been an issue with jabbing infront of people. I mean I work in a hospital and my colleagues aren't afraid of it at all. Now that I'm pumping it's all good and again, people don't mind. However, if I have to do a cannula change at work I don't do it infront of everyone, I'll just find somewhere that I can focus on the job in hand. The canteen isn't really a good place haha.

Great to hear that your problem didn't really materialise, SilentAssassin. Really pleased that common sense prevailed and that you didn't have to resort to law - not that you sounded like you were going to, unless other measures failed. My dad and sister are both lawyers, working in various civil / commercial areas, and often say that law is usually only needed when common sense attempts to solve a problem have failed.
Hope the job continues to go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back