Support for newly diagnosed- HbA1c 120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it’s absorbed quickly and it stimulates beta cells very quickly and it’s taken in such a way to time peak concentration with peak post meal glucose. As some will still be in your system past the peak it can probably help with basal glucose levels.

There’s a slow release of the same family as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice regarding insulin, I thought this might be the case given how high my sugars have been. Would it usually be a combination of long acting and fast acting? Or one of these only? - sorry I know this is probably variable from person to person.
I was diagnosed with diabetes 7 weeks ago and like you had a very high HBA1c, mine was 124, I had been admitted to hospital because I had an infection in my pelvis and the diabetes diagnosis just happened to come along with it.

I don't know whether it was because my HBA1c was so high as were my finger prick blood glucose levels (24) or whether they suspected I was type 1 but I was started on insulin straight away, my BG levels did actually drop quite quickly and are sitting in the normal range now but I don't know yet what my HBA1c is because I'm not due another test until January.

I did however have an Islet antibody test which was negative and therefore i am type 2 and yesterday I have started the transition to come off Insulin and onto Metformin. The insulin I have been taking is a combination of long acting (Lantus) and quick acting (novorapid).

Starting on insulin straight away may be a good thing, as it can help relieve the pressure on beta cells and reduce glucose toxicity which is what causes them to stop working properly.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 7 weeks ago and like you had a very high HBA1c, mine was 124, I had been admitted to hospital because I had an infection in my pelvis and the diabetes diagnosis just happened to come along with it.

I don't know whether it was because my HBA1c was so high as were my finger prick blood glucose levels (24) or whether they suspected I was type 1 but I was started on insulin straight away, my BG levels did actually drop quite quickly and are sitting in the normal range now but I don't know yet what my HBA1c is because I'm not due another test until January.

I did however have an Islet antibody test which was negative and therefore i am type 2 and yesterday I have started the transition to come off Insulin and onto Metformin. The insulin I have been taking is a combination of long acting (Lantus) and quick acting (novorapid).
Hi @Alijp,
I’m sorry you have been through so much in such a short time. This is scarily very very similar to the situation I was in. I’ve had hospital admissions due to gynae problems and subsequently had the diabetes diagnosis.

It’s good to hear your levels are now normal. I hope the transition from insulin to metformin goes well.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Welcome to the forum from another late starter with T1 ( diagnosed with LADA at age 53)
I am gald to read that your GP is on the ball and considering T1/LADA. For so many this is not even considered in adults, but as @Inkahas said there are a lot of us around.

The idea of keeping a diary of what you are eating, alongside your BG, is really useful, with a particular focus on the amounts of carbohydrates in the meals. This will be useful information whichever type of diabetes you have. All those carbs we eat get converted into glucose once inside us, and our bodies need to process that using insulin, whether it be our own or injected.

Most T1s are now given two separate insulins, a background insulin (basal) to deal with the glucose that our liver delivers to keep us ticking over, and the quick acting insulin (bolus) to deal with the glucose from what we chose to eat. This makes life a lot more flexible than the older mixed insulins, where you then had to eat to match your injections (Timing and amounts of glucose).

It is a lot to get your head round at the start but it does get a lot easier and much of what we do day to day becomes automatic. Keep the questions coming. Nothing is considered silly on here. Just ask.
Thank you so much for your advice and sharing your knowledge, it’s greatly appreciated!

Yeah I have been logging all my food and macros as well as my blood sugars, trying to find a pattern and a balance between the correct carbs or a trend with my spikes.

Thank you for your reassurance regarding my current headspace, and your encouragement for me to ask further questions! It’s great there is such a good online peer support.

Hi and welcome from me too, another late starter with Type 1 at 55yrs.

My HbA1c was 114 at diagnosis. I was started on Metformin and Gliclazide and went low carb. It took me 4 weeks of whittling my carbs down to the very bare essentials to get my BG under 10 and my breakfast porridge was the last to go giving me my first BG in range ie 7 but my HbA1c was tested again and came back at 116, so I was started on both basal and bolus insulin 6 weeks from diagnosis. I had C-peptide and GAD antibody tests a month later after I saw the consultant and whilst C-pep was borderline low end of normal, my GAD came back positive (took 6 weeks).
Do keep a close eye on your ketone levels when you are persistently mid teens. The urine dip sticks were all that I had and indeed still have, not that I have needed them since.

It is hugely overwhelming at first so the feelings you have are completely normal and if anything even more so when/if you start on insulin as it is a very steep learning curve and you may well need some time off work to get your head around it, if you aren't already off with the gynae issue.
Just to mention, we had someone recently who had a pelvic infection as a result of really high BG levels at diagnosis and that was how their diabetes came to light. They were admitted to hospital I believe with low abdominal pain and that was when they got both diagnoses..
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You clearly have a wealth of experience and sharing that really helps. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Yeah, I agree regarding the adjustment period. I thought I was over thinking that part of it at first, so it’s good to know that I wasn’t and that it is a sensible idea.

The member that you mentioned regarding gynae issues and diagnosis has a scarily similar story to me. As awful an experience it is to have numerous health concerns (and not that any one would wish it on another person), it is reassuring that others have had a similar experience.

Thank you again for your kind words, you have made me feel better!

I also wanted to say that it does get easier and gradually becomes your new normal, but there is a period of mental adjustment needed and it can be very much like grieving, so it is important to give yourself time to come to terms with the diagnosis. I was OK until I was started on insulin. Up to that point I was determined that I was going to push it into remission if I had to eat cardboard. Had a few tears in the car park of the GP surgery when I came out from getting started on insulin. Nearly 5 years down the line I am slimmer and fitter and healthier than I have been for maybe 20 years, so there have been some positives to come out of it.
Thank you for your honesty! It certainly is overwhelming! I’m glad to hear you are in a better place. It is very reassuring for people like myself, so thank you!

Hi @Franarama_ , hate to say this cos I assume you're already aware - no way should anyone be sticking you under general anaesthetic and taking a scalpel to you, with blood glucose at that sort of level - therefore the sooner you can get yours down to a better level, the sooner you'd be safe to operate on. Only thing is - whatever else is wrong - eg the gynae prob - will also be increasing your BG, cos that's what happens when the dear ole body produces antibodies to help it deal with and heal whatever else is up with it - vicious circle.

If whatever it is needs dealing with sooner rather than later - please don't try to stop them starting you on insulin pre-op either if they suggest that! Even if you do land up as a bog standard Type 2 and can easily treat that with Diet and/or tablets - get the op done and your body to get itself healed (cos any op is traumatic for your body even if you're looking forward to getting it sorted so not traumatic on the face of it to you personally at all)

Hi @trophywench, thanks so much for your reply and advice. I completely agree, it would not be safe given the current situation. I have been in contact with the gynae consultant to advise of this ever evolving situation and my surgery has been postponed for the foreseeable. Which is bittersweet, but completely the right thing.

Regarding the insulin, I would be fully open to trying this if this is what is needed. Im desperate to get control over the readings. My blood sugars definitely are the pertinent issue and my gynae problems have moved to second on the list. You are completely right, surgery is traumatic on the body. Pre-op health is so important for recovery post-op.

Thank you so much for your advice and guidance!

Thanks for your reply Suzie.

I’ve just noticed your HbA1c results, 88 to 43 in 3 months is great! How did you find changing your routine/diet?

Thanks for your help!
Thank you.
Pre diagnosis I’d been feeling really rubbish both physically and emotionally (I think due to menopause) and as many others here after diagnosis I didn’t get much support from GP or diabetic nurses (at my GP practice) other than medication and life style changes. So I took this time as a hard reset.
I feel so much better now so that motivates me to keep going as does this amazing group of people. I’m a work in progress and totally understand the overwhelming feeling.
Let us know how you get on with your further tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back