sugarfree products for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if that's not the information you're looking for but here it goes on case it could be useful to you:

I make my own jam by putting a few frozen strawberries, or other frozen berries, in the microwave. Once they're soft, not even warm, but softened, I mash them with a fork, or with a hand mixer, than I use it as jam. Sometimes I mix with a bit of chia and put in the fridge until the chia softens. It makes a thicker jam. They're sweet enough that I don't need to add sweeteners, but you could add any sweeteners of your choice to get it more sweet. I've tried with sweeteners and it was fine. It's quickly done and you can keep it in the fridge for a few days, or make it everytime you need it.

I hope you find everything you want.

It's certainly the best way - but not all T2s will be prescribed both a longer acting insulin (Basal) and a shorter acting one. (Bolus) They are frequently given either a mixed one or an intermediate one - and then considerations around eating and insulin get considerably more tricky!

This lady has been prescribed both - so that's a step in the right direction she doesn't have to fight for anyway.

@Purls of Wisdom - what fixed doses are you using - and tricky Q, sorry - what general size of lady are you? - mahoosive and very tall, or short and squat, medium height and skinny or any other variation?
I take 3 units before breakfast, 3 before lunch and 4 before dinner of Novorapid. I also take 12 units of Lantus before bedtime. I am 5 feet short individual. Neither too fat nor too thin. Lost weight recently and now I am size 12. Hope this explains.

And, please note that not all T2s are NOT T1s.

This is the one I just bought this week, but have not yet tried. Be aware - no added sugar products may contain sweeteners and must be eaten in moderation, otherwise they have a laxative effect!
There are keto jams around and I believe Holland and Barrett sell one, but some make their own using fruit alone. You can always ask Google for recipes 🙂
I use weak no added sugar KiaOra orange juice or a no added sugar flavoured water for my drinks. It is quite a minefield when we are first diagnosed, I'm still relatively new to being a T2 myself 🙂
i found one in holland and barrat but to be honest I hardly ever eat bread just the odd slice of Liv Life.

Why do you feel the need to use a "sweetener". You have diabetes. Get used to the actual taste of tea, coffee, etc. They taste good without all the extra milk, sugar etc.

Sorry but not sorry. Get over the sugar filled years. They did your teeth no good either
Thought about it many times. On the other hand that's the only sweet treat for some of us from now on. Period.

@Purls of Wisdom - how many grams of carbohydrate do you eat for your breakfast, what is your blood glucose before eating it and what is it after 2 hours?

Just be careful when looking for sugarfree products as it does not necessarily mean they are low carb. They also may be full of artificial sweeteners which can have an unpleasant after taste that some people can detect (apparently there is a genetic element to being able to detect them).
I often have flavoured sparkling water, there is still also.
You're right. I fell into this trap early on and was buying sugar free biscuits and chocolates that contained sweeteners like aspartame. They are definitely not good for you, and I find they have a kind of chemical, artificial taste. Also, as you say, things like sugar free biscuits are still high in carbs so that is something to be mindful of.

I find it's better to have smaller amounts of the real thing, rather than things that are artificially sweetened, and you also won't have to worry about the additional effects that sweeteners can bring.

Having said that, I find that I can't tolerate many things with sugar in now, as I find them overly sweet, so I have cut out most sweet things like biscuits, chocolate bars and cakes entirely.

Your thoughts on sweetners pls? Stevia??
Too much sweeteners can have a laxative effect on your body, and many can have a nasty chemical taste. Try to avoid anything with aspartame in particular, as this really isn't good for you.

Some say that plant based sweeteners such as stevia are better for you, but they are still heavily processed, so use in small amounts if you are going to use at all.

Yes, once youve been taught how to carb count.
Quite often when people are first started on insulin, I've noticed they are given fixed ( normally quite conservative) doses, while they are getting used to the idea of injecting, before they get their education on how to carb count. It’s not how I was started on bolus insulin, I was told to work out my carb/insulin ratio for myself, starting with 1:10 and tweaking it. But I had been on basal only for a few months, so had got used to injecting etc.
This is correct - at least in my experience.

When I was re-diagnosed as type 1 I was initially just given Tresiba and a starting dose of 8 units. I then had reviews every couple of weeks with my DSN to see how things were going and adjusted the dose appropriately. Once I was settled as much as possible I was then introduced to Novorapid and shown how to carb count. This was probably a couple of months into my diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back