sugarfree products for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purls of Wisdom

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Any suggestions for a sugar free jam and diluting juice? Still consider myself new on this platform since my diagnosis, which was not long ago, 11th April, 2022 to be precise. Still in denial, confused and scared.

This is the one I just bought this week, but have not yet tried. Be aware - no added sugar products may contain sweeteners and must be eaten in moderation, otherwise they have a laxative effect!
There are keto jams around and I believe Holland and Barrett sell one, but some make their own using fruit alone. You can always ask Google for recipes 🙂
I use weak no added sugar KiaOra orange juice or a no added sugar flavoured water for my drinks. It is quite a minefield when we are first diagnosed, I'm still relatively new to being a T2 myself 🙂

I like Tesco's own brand quadruple strength diluting juices. the cherries & berries is absolutely lovely, also Robinsons Fruit Creations blueberry & blackberry and strawberry & watermelon xx

Just be careful when looking for sugarfree products as it does not necessarily mean they are low carb. They also may be full of artificial sweeteners which can have an unpleasant after taste that some people can detect (apparently there is a genetic element to being able to detect them).
I often have flavoured sparkling water, there is still also.

Thank you folks. No added sugar does not mean sugar free, I am told.
Proper fruit juice has no added sugar, but it is still pretty high in sugar, to the point that some people on insulin use it to treat a hypo (dangerously low blood glucose levels).
You really need to start thinking about carbohydrate content rather than just sugar. Carbohydrates include both sugars and starches and they all get broken down into glucose by your digestive system and absorbed into your blood stream, so reducing all carbs should improve your diabetes, not just sugars.
For example, you can get sugar free biscuits but they are still high in carbs because they contain flour and flour is a high carbohydrate starchy food. If you look at the labels on food packaging, be that solid food or drink, you need to find the nutritional information which is usually in very small print on the side or back of the packaging. Within that information you will find the total carbohydrate contents and also (usually below that) the "of which sugars" amount. This is because the total carb content includes sugars and starches. Ignore the sugar and just concentrate on the total carbs. Many people avoid most foods that have more than 10g/100g carbs which rules out a lot of foods. I think that may be overly restrictive for some people but you do need to reduce your consumption of those higher carb foods quite significantly and eat more of the lower carb ones.

This is the one I just bought this week, but have not yet tried. Be aware - no added sugar products may contain sweeteners and must be eaten in moderation, otherwise they have a laxative effect!
There are keto jams around and I believe Holland and Barrett sell one, but some make their own using fruit alone. You can always ask Google for recipes 🙂
I use weak no added sugar KiaOra orange juice or a no added sugar flavoured water for my drinks. It is quite a minefield when we are first diagnosed, I'm still relatively new to being a T2 myself 🙂
I find weetabix too much right now, have never eaten before, that is. Lol

Proper fruit juice has no added sugar, but it is still pretty high in sugar, to the point that some people on insulin use it to treat a hypo (dangerously low blood glucose levels).
You really need to start thinking about carbohydrate content rather than just sugar. Carbohydrates include both sugars and starches and they all get broken down into glucose by your digestive system and absorbed into your blood stream, so reducing all carbs should improve your diabetes, not just sugars.
For example, you can get sugar free biscuits but they are still high in carbs because they contain flour and flour is a high carbohydrate starchy food. If you look at the labels on food packaging, be that solid food or drink, you need to find the nutritional information which is usually in very small print on the side or back of the packaging. Within that information you will find the total carbohydrate contents and also (usually below that) the "of which sugars" amount. This is because the total carb content includes sugars and starches. Ignore the sugar and just concentrate on the total carbs. Many people avoid most foods that have more than 10g/100g carbs which rules out a lot of foods. I think that may be overly restrictive for some people but you do need to reduce your consumption of those higher carb foods quite significantly and eat more of the lower carb ones.
Are 2 slices of farmhouse bread too many carbs for lunch? My BG shot up pre dinner yesterday. I have not reached that stage yet where I have a healthy relationship with food. Mind boggling stuff!

Just be careful when looking for sugarfree products as it does not necessarily mean they are low carb. They also may be full of artificial sweeteners which can have an unpleasant after taste that some people can detect (apparently there is a genetic element to being able to detect them).
I often have flavoured sparkling water, there is still also.
Your thoughts on sweetners pls? Stevia??

Are 2 slices of farmhouse bread too many carbs for lunch? My BG shot up pre dinner yesterday. I have not reached that stage yet where I have a healthy relationship with food. Mind boggling stuff!
I think you said on another thread hat you are taking Novorapid (meal time insulin) with every meal. If so, its a question of matching the carbs and insulin dose so they balance out, rather than having to restrict carbs.

Sadly, I ve not reached that stage yet. The doctors mapped the insulin for me. Apart from that I am none the wiser. My GB levels are inconsistent. Not heard from the DCN or the dietian. Being on this forum is my only saving grace.

Sadly, I ve not reached that stage yet. The doctors mapped the insulin for me. Apart from that I am none the wiser. My GB levels are inconsistent. Not heard from the DCN or the dietian. Being on this forum is my only saving grace.
Apologies. If you’re on a fixed dose of Novorapid for mealtimes, then at the moment, you’ll have to work out, probably by trial and error, how much carb matches your insulin at each meal, rather than the other way round. Hopefully when your diagnosis is confirmed, whatever it turns out to be, you will be given appropriate advice and if it turns out to be Type 1, be offered a carb counting course.

Apologies. If you’re on a fixed dose of Novorapid for mealtimes, then at the moment, you’ll have to work out, probably by trial and error, how much carb matches your insulin at each meal, rather than the other way round. Hopefully when your diagnosis is confirmed, whatever it turns out to be, you will be given appropriate advice and if it turns out to be Type 1, be offered a carb counting course.
Sorry if this is wrong but surely if taking insulin regardless of whether you are Type 1 or 2 you have to carb count.

Sorry if this is wrong but surely if taking insulin regardless of whether you are Type 1 or 2 you have to carb count.
Yes, once youve been taught how to carb count.
Quite often when people are first started on insulin, I've noticed they are given fixed ( normally quite conservative) doses, while they are getting used to the idea of injecting, before they get their education on how to carb count. It’s not how I was started on bolus insulin, I was told to work out my carb/insulin ratio for myself, starting with 1:10 and tweaking it. But I had been on basal only for a few months, so had got used to injecting etc.

Hello
Personally, I cannot stand the taste of Stevia in any form, it's the aftertaste. I prefer Erythritol or Xylitol as sweeteners, but they are a lot more expensive, and in powder form. Two slices of wholemeal bread can be high in carbs, but if you're on insulin perhaps you are allowed more carbs. I'm Type II and have been for two or three years now, but still learning, and trying out different foodstuffs, and what raises my blood glucose levels. I love potatoes in any form, but they do make my BG levels shoot up, even a couple of small ones. And it's the same with bread. However, I have found that I do not react to coconut flour, but this raises the question as whether you can tolerate bread and wraps made with its overwhelming taste. It does taste sweet.

I've just discovered Hellman's Vinaigrette, (garlic and chives), one gram of carbs to one tablespoonful of vinaigrette, and I really like it on salad.

The secret is discovering foods that you truly enjoy but do not send up your blood glucose levels. Not an easy task.
I wish you well on your journey.

It's certainly the best way - but not all T2s will be prescribed both a longer acting insulin (Basal) and a shorter acting one. (Bolus) They are frequently given either a mixed one or an intermediate one - and then considerations around eating and insulin get considerably more tricky!

This lady has been prescribed both - so that's a step in the right direction she doesn't have to fight for anyway.

@Purls of Wisdom - what fixed doses are you using - and tricky Q, sorry - what general size of lady are you? - mahoosive and very tall, or short and squat, medium height and skinny or any other variation?

What exactly is a Farmhouse loaf and how many grams of carb per 100g weight does it have? How big and thick are the slices? Is it white or brown bread? Is that wholemeal or 50/50 ish? 🙂

As the others have said not necessarily straight away, I was started on set units of 3 units per meal, the next week it was upped to 4 then I taught myself to carb count and adjust as things just didn't work very well with set units but it takes time to work out carb ratio etc

I too was started on set doses(dont knoww if it would have differentt if i was dianosed where i live) 6 units of novorapid and 14 units of trisibria turned out to be way too much for me at that point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back