sugar in tea/coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just worked it out and it's 10g of carbs, which is 2units for me. Or at the moment about 10 units so i'm not surprised it pushes me up. I measured the milk out and everything lol. I'm going to use a smaller cup and I think I can get that down to 5g instead 🙂 And I'll try drinking more water instead because I never drink enough!

I used to use skimmed stuff in tea, the horrible UHT stuff but I didnt mind it. I'm sure I wouldnt notice with the fresh skimmed milk, but no one else will want it 🙄

Yes It is quite high in Carbs really when you think about it , I used to wonder why I was rising (even after sorting my Basal out) Im a coffee addict so once I thought about it I realised it was Milk pushing me up :( Im still on 1/10g Well at the moment I am , unless its bread then im probably 50/10g lol 🙄 (joking kids!!)

I dreaful with diet coke, if I open a 2litre bottle it will be gone by the end of the day and then I don't get any sleep! Love it though 🙂

I wish I could give up my diet coke, totally hooked and drink far too much. Although it doesn't tend to affect my sleep any more, think my body's just so used to it. Get really tired when I don't have it though.

i don't drink hot drinks either so don't know but i'm sure i've seen half a spoon sugar, dont know what it is about but worth a look into i'm sure?

Julie xx

Yes It is quite high in Carbs really when you think about it , I used to wonder why I was rising (even after sorting my Basal out) Im a coffee addict so once I thought about it I realised it was Milk pushing me up :( Im still on 1/10g Well at the moment I am , unless its bread then im probably 50/10g lol 🙄 (joking kids!!)

It is a lot! It's like a snack each time I have a cup. Since you dont have sugar in yours it must be about 5g a time or 1/2 a unit. Am I the only person on 2:10g?! grr hehe.

I wish I could give up my diet coke, totally hooked and drink far too much. Although it doesn't tend to affect my sleep any more, think my body's just so used to it. Get really tired when I don't have it though.

Yeah I know what you mean, if I was working full time i'd be drinking it all day.

i don't drink hot drinks either so don't know but i'm sure i've seen half a spoon sugar, dont know what it is about but worth a look into i'm sure?

Julie xx

Ive tried the half spoon stuff, it's horrible! unfortunately it just tastes like sweetner :(

I don't drink any hot drinks, glad to see i'm not the only one people often think I'm strange for that. I use sweetener on my wheetabix and have to use alot because I like it sweet, also on my strawberries. i'd prefer sugar but can tolerate sweetener.

I drink too much diet coke/pepsi and get caffine withdrawal headaches if I stop drinking it

I don't drink any hot drinks, glad to see i'm not the only one people often think I'm strange for that.

totally agree nikki i get the same , ohh my god you dont drin hot drinkd like never , er no seems weird to them lol

I use granular sugar called "half spoon" sugar - and it tastes just like the good stuff ! You can get it at Tesco and I should think most other supermarkets.

I looked at that half spoon before and basically if you compare it to the regular it's only a couple of grams per hundred less. The idea is that you only use half the amount you would normally use right?

I looked at that half spoon before and basically if you compare it to the regular it's only a couple of grams per hundred less. The idea is that you only use half the amount you would normally use right?

Yes - but I only take it as a sugar substitute when I REALLY can't go without my sugar or use sweeteners (some of which are pretty sickly I've found).

Coffee is evil, but tea is great, always milk, well almost always, and only sugar if hungover! So every now and then😉 Also I have been trying those weirdy beardy teas, green tea etc, not bad, and no need for milk, or sugar!

Hmm not exactly Tea or Coffee , but sometimes had with them .... has anyone ever noticed how many Carbs in ONE digestive biscuit !!!?? 9.9G OMG 😱😱 Who ever has just one biscuit ... Exactly 🙄

Hmm not exactly Tea or Coffee , but sometimes had with them .... has anyone ever noticed how many Carbs in ONE digestive biscuit !!!?? 9.9G OMG 😱😱 Who ever has just one biscuit ... Exactly 🙄

wow that is a lot, i wonder how many are in a bourbon??

eeek 9g, if i start eating them i cant stop, so i just dont buy them lol

wow that is a lot, i wonder how many are in a bourbon??

Hmm I'll check tomorrow when I go shopping , It is a lot , thats pretty much 1 unit per biscuit-ish considering my ratio is 1/10g , that added to the milk in the tea / coffee and its no wonder peoples levels rise and they wonder why 😱

eeek 9g, if i start eating them i cant stop, so i just dont buy them lol

hahaha 9!!?? thats a lot for a bloody biscuit !!! I wonder how many in a Ginger Nut? I love Ginger Nuts !! Ive not eaten one since god knows when though 🙄

hahaha 9!!?? thats a lot for a bloody biscuit !!! I wonder how many in a Ginger Nut? I love Ginger Nuts !! Ive not eaten one since god knows when though 🙄

no idea about a ginger nut, i cant find it using google. apparently they are medium GI though so that's good :D

Once the pack is open I have to keep comming back for more. Peak Freans used to do a catering box of biscuits for cafes and places, where all the little packs had just two or three biscuits in, just enough to satisfy the taste for a biscuit but not such a big pack you were tempted to keep comming back for more...

Good thread! I never knew caffeine could affect levels?! 😱

Might be one benefit of being preggers - I immediately went more or less "cold turkey" off caffeine - got some cracking headaches the first week or so, (could also have been stress mind you!) but my levels have certainly improved a bit...also testing & carb counting fanatically, so who knows?

I'm now drinking decaff tea (the only decent one I've found is Yorkshire Tea, bit gutted as I don't know if it's fairtrade or not??:confused:). Unfortunately also going around in semi-coma state due to early preg tiredness, so if I'm feeling really desperate (& can tolerate the smell lol!) I will have a 50:50 mix caff/ decaff instant coffee or "normal" tea... I've actually not missed caffeine as much as I thought I would! I did try "natural" teas etc, but they all taste like pond water / rat widdle, so no success there to date...! (Also hate all things ginger at the mo, just when I need morning sickness remedies, doh!!🙄)

btw, in my shiny new edition of the DAFNE carb counting booklet, one "ginger snap", weighing 10g, = 1CP (10g carb). (Not sure if a ginger snap is the same as a ginger nut, the booklet's published in North Shields so could be a dialect thing?!)

Good thread! I never knew caffeine could affect levels?! 😱

Might be one benefit of being preggers - I immediately went more or less "cold turkey" off caffeine - got some cracking headaches the first week or so, (could also have been stress mind you!) but my levels have certainly improved a bit...also testing & carb counting fanatically, so who knows?

ooh this is interesting, i wonder if the caffeine was affecting you. Im not sure I can live without tea and coffee but could give decaf a go 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back