Suddenly thinking about the the advantages and disadvantages of livermir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So my main reason for using livermir was the flexiblity so I could adjust the evening dose for when I worked

But there is a disvantsge to it the fact after a late night I need to inturumt my sleep to inject my morning one which in a way can affect blood sugars anyway) I didn't think much of it at the time of the switch as I was taking trisbrisa at 8 anyway but if I did ever go back to s once s day thing I probably could take it up the evening (early evening) and it wouldn't mess up my sleep so much(I know I haven't worked for a while due to being ill but I will be going back)

So my main reason for using livermir was the flexiblity so I could adjust the evening dose for when I worked

But there is a disvantsge to it the fact after a late night I need to inturumt my sleep to inject my morning one which in a way can affect blood sugars anyway) I didn't think much of it at the time of the switch as I was taking trisbrisa at 8 anyway but if I did ever go back to s once s day thing I probably could take it up the evening (early evening) and it wouldn't mess up my sleep so much(I know I haven't worked for a while due to being ill but I will be going back)
I can't comment on Levemir because I've never used it but given some conversation I had with @rebrascora yesterday I can understand the advantage of its flexibility - given you can adjust your doses on a daily basis depending on your needs. I have needed to adjust my Tresiba dose recently, and know that making such adjustments can take a few days to really see how it's working. Clearly this is not an issue with Levemir.

You say that you have to interrupt your sleep to inject your morning dose - is there any way you can change the timings of when you inject your Levemir, or does it have to be at set times each day? Or perhaps, as you say, given you work shifts, maybe something like Tresiba with its once daily dosing is more suitable for you? Granted, it's not as flexible, but you can choose a time of day that is right for you. I work office hours and take my Tresiba around 7am every morning. This time might not work for you but is there another suitable time - say 5pm - that could work for you?

I can't comment on Levemir because I've never used it but given some conversation I had with @rebrascora yesterday I can understand the advantage of its flexibility - given you can adjust your doses on a daily basis depending on your needs. I have needed to adjust my Tresiba dose recently, and know that making such adjustments can take a few days to really see how it's working. Clearly this is not an issue with Levemir.

You say that you have to interrupt your sleep to inject your morning dose - is there any way you can change the timings of when you inject your Levemir, or does it have to be at set times each day? Or perhaps, as you say, given you work shifts, maybe something like Tresiba with its once daily dosing is more suitable for you? Granted, it's not as flexible, but you can choose a time of day that is right for you. I work office hours and take my Tresiba around 7am every morning. This time might not work for you but is there another suitable time - say 5pm - that could work for you?
Ah well you see that's the thing I don't have set times of working there all over the place it was a started so the when I get up and when I go to bed thing doesn't work. The reason I went for livermirr is due the activeness of my job some more active then others. I don't think I want to go back to trisbrisa but there other once s day backgrounds(and if I did take it a around 7pm that might not intrupmt my sleep too much what ever time it is," The other week I found myself saying maybe I shouldn't do my job due the unprictableness but know thought hang on a minute that would be letting diabetes take over my life because I like my job in fact I've being missing it while I'm ill so no I shouldn't give it up.

Thank you for the advice.

I was also told when I was given let livermir to try and stick to the same times

I vary the timing of my morning dose of Levemir occasionally and it doesn't make a big difference for me but mostly I take it between 6.30am and 8am and if I want a lie in I just go back to sleep after injecting. I keep my insulin pens in their case under my pillow so that I don't have to get out of bed and I find I can be back to sleep within a couple of minutes, so waking up to do that doesn't have any impact on my levels.... and after all, if you woke up needing the loo you wouldn't worry about it affecting your levels or getting back to sleep, you just do it because that is what your body needs. We all have to make some adjustments for diabetes. I don't consider it rules my life because I have to wake up and inject, I just minimize the impact that action has by having everything easily to hand and making the action as easy as I can, so that I can get back to sleep or start my day.

I vary the timing of my morning dose of Levemir occasionally and it doesn't make a big difference for me but mostly I take it between 6.30am and 8am and if I want a lie in I just go back to sleep after injecting. I keep my insulin pens in their case under my pillow so that I don't have to get out of bed and I find I can be back to sleep within a couple of minutes, so waking up to do that doesn't have any impact on my levels.... and after all, if you woke up needing the loo you wouldn't worry about it affecting your levels or getting back to sleep, you just do it because that is what your body needs. We all have to make some adjustments for diabetes. I don't consider it rules my life because I have to wake up and inject, I just minimize the impact that action has by having everything easily to hand and making the action as easy as I can, so that I can get back to sleep or start my day.
Ah but for me that that dose seem to make a difference it seems I nap leter on(I think it's because I don't really go back to sleep because once im my body is like yours awake now. I was more speaking from experience 🙂

Sorry for confusion. I think I changed subjects again but haven't put the pause in. I know some people can work with verrying times of livermir but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Sorry for confusion. I think I changed subjects again but haven't put the pause in. I know some people can work with verrying times of livermir but it doesn't seem to work for me.
Just to cailfy I'm not ignoring peoples advice I just know form expericd it doesn't seem to work for me.

I would also mention that if you don't adjust your Levemir to any significant extent, then it may well not be worth continuing with it and going back to a once a day, longer acting basal and just adjusting your meal ratios and use corrections to balance your basal needs.
I would be wary of taking something like Lantus once a day at 7 or 8pm as it will hit it's peak of activity as you are going to sleep and may cause nocturnal hypos. Also, it seems like you often work late so that might not be a convenient time for you to inject it when working or forget if you are busy.

I would also mention that if you don't adjust your Levemir to any significant extent, then it may well not be worth continuing with it and going back to a once a day, longer acting basal and just adjusting your meal ratios and use corrections to balance your basal needs.
I would be wary of taking something like Lantus once a day at 7 or 8pm as it will hit it's peak of activity as you are going to sleep and may cause nocturnal hypos. Also, it seems like you often work late so that might not be a convenient time for you to inject it when working or forget if you are busy.
I adjust the dose of my evening one when I think it's the morning one I don't tend to now I would if I differlty knew I was going to activate all day but I wouldn't want to do it if I was working in the afternoon. Sometimes shifts tend to be shorter or longer then planed.

Okay well maybe 5pm is more suitable time like covervent like mettioned whatever vtine I do I will need to do a shift offen. Because of how my work is.

I don't think I got on with trisbrisa even without working (it looked like I did do my team because unless I had a buisier day it would be okay over night) however it's I was going low every 2 days even when I had adjusted carb radtios) which didn't really show up on the gargh when I was using the libre) maybe that would changed now. Like I what ever time of I take backround insulin I'm still going to need to take it on shift so nots not something to consider.

Oh sorry I released you might I thought I was saying adjusting doses doesn't work for me I was talking about adjusting timings not doses when I said this.

When working my evening dose of livermir verryed quite a bit.

Oh sorry I released you might I thought I was saying adjusting doses doesn't work for me I was talking about adjusting timings not doses when I said this.
Baislcly what I'm saying is I can work late I can work early and I can work anywhere in between.

However right now as mentioned elsewhere I don't seem to be getting on with livermir. And there's absolutely no routine to job which is why I think I'll be more suited to a pump along with other reasons (I know people disagree with me about this but I really do believe it will be better for me and do believe my suger)

Dose timing really isn't that critical but you may have to tweak the dose amount if the timing is way out to take account of the wider or narrower gap to the next injection.

Dose timing really isn't that critical but you may have to tweak the dose amount if the timing is way out to take account of the wider or narrower gap to the next injection.
Ah but I said that doesn't work for me speaking from experience. Mainly because of the way my job works

Before my set times worked over then evening sometimes where I'd get this jump but then worked out though backround tests and expericeig it was food I was typical eating(pawns and letals) in the evening but and managed to get sorted then it came back)

Differtty more complicated without anything on you to work it out I think(however I no the libre doesn't seem to work on me I know off other people which had the same issues when you only get two that last out of 4 months then it's 4 months then its diffinatlly then you can't work stuff out anyway ). I don't think I would get one trying to adjust for the timings I was doing. I do adjust my dose for amount of activity I do in day at work (haven't worked for s while) on top of that it would add more complication to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back