Sudden glucose spike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been advised to cut out salt as much as I can although I'm unsure if that's the main problem here. I am a bit annoyed that I've been assiduously taking my BP meds and then I get all this, a very different condition compared to how I was in November.

Also, I feel healthy, I haven't any of the aches that are associated with chest problems and I'm sleeping well enough so this is all just another problem I don't need. I've been prescribed Candesartan, I am a bit concerned that it's my meds that are the problem though the GP I saw today wouldn't consider that possibility.

I'm actually wondering if my glucose reader is very accurate, I definitely dropped and broke it a while ago although I have been able to fix it. Going to ask for a new one.
I have used a Codefree monitor for about six years and it is usually accurate and reliable. Three years ago, I started to get unexpectedly high readings and error messages and suspected a fault with the meter. I traced it to a weak battery and solved the problem with a replacement.
A week or so I started to get unexpectedly high readings and error messages, interspersed with normal readings. I changed the battery but the problem continued. I then suspected a batch of faulty test strips but strips from a fresh batch still gave dodgy results.
As a last resort I bought a replacement meter and everything is back to normal.

When you say you stopped your diabetes meds, was that on you GP's recommendation?
If not, have you told the surgery you no longer take them, as they really need to know the mix of meds you are on.

As you have stopped, have you reversed your diabetes, or are you diet controlling?

Agreed.

Get my low sodium salt in tesco, don't use lot of salt anyway but like it on things like tomatos & fried eggs.

There's loads of low sodium products about, even gravy. Once stabilised exercise will also help keep bp down, simple exercise like walking is effective.

Taken ramipril for donkeys years never had any issues but have heard about cough symptom but never experienced it.
I'd be interested to know what is actually in the "low sodium" salt. if it's another salt that isn't a sodium salt then that might have implications in other areas like heart and kidney function.

what the OP really needs is a blood test for electrolytes and a doctor knowledgeable about their condition and what medications they already take, who is able to correctly interpret the results. There are very many factors at work in things like this with all kinds of positive and negative feedback loops. What may seem like "common sense" very often is not.

When you say you stopped your diabetes meds, was that on you GP's recommendation?
If not, have you told the surgery you no longer take them, as they really need to know the mix of meds you are on.

As you have stopped, have you reversed your diabetes, or are you diet controlling?
@travellor , I think the OP had stopped diabetes meds but in posts #1 & #12 he stated he'd recently restarted his meds. The confusion arises from post #9, where he states "I've been off meds" but I think meant "I'd been off".

@travellor , I think the OP had stopped diabetes meds but in posts #1 & #12 he stated he'd recently restarted his meds. The confusion arises from post #9, where he states "I've been off meds" but I think meant "I'd been off".

Independently or on medical advice though?
And again, if it's diet controlled, an indication of diet could be helpful.

I'd be interested to know what is actually in the "low sodium" salt. if it's another salt that isn't a sodium salt then that might have implications in other areas like heart and kidney function.

what the OP really needs is a blood test for electrolytes and a doctor knowledgeable about their condition and what medications they already take, who is able to correctly interpret the results. There are very many factors at work in things like this with all kinds of positive and negative feedback loops. What may seem like "common sense" very often is not.
If it is the product called LO SALT these are the ingredients. Potassium Chloride (66%), Sodium Chloride (33%), Magnesium Carbonate (Anticaking Agent), Potassium Iodine.

If it is the product called LO SALT these are the ingredients. Potassium Chloride (66%), Sodium Chloride (33%), Magnesium Carbonate (Anticaking Agent), Potassium Iodine.
yeah - potassium intake and sodium/potassium balance has implications for many conditions, like kidneys and electrical impulses of the heart. if I were the OP i'd seek medical advice from their GP who'd have the knowledge of their condition and what meds they take, before consuming such a product, given that they say they've been told to eat less salt. Basically ask their doc if they can replace it with something like that, before starting using it.

Last edited:

Well did agree with Amigo post earlier in thread about seeking professional advice.

Difficult to avoid salt as its in most processed foods, bread cheese bacon sausage for example, so don't add it much to foods except those mentioned in post you quoted, then its only low sodium salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back