Successful strategies so far in dealing with depression and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well things are definitely improving for me with regard to my diabetes.

- I now have much more realistic expectations of myself, and I am
better at accepting the impossibility of perfection when dealing
with Diabetes
- Trialling a new insulin (FIASP) is giving me a the motivation
to check ratios and my rates
- My focus has definitely shifted to other aspects of life and put
Diabetes back in its place

So time to try reducing antidepressants, with the continued support of my counsellor available through regular appointments.

Here's hoping things continue on the up.
All sounding very positive, I hope things continue to improve for you 🙂

That's great news, SB.🙂

I think it was very brave of you to start this thread but it's really helped me for one, so ta v much.😛

Following your example, I've started closing my glucose log and putting it on a shelf instead of it having pride of place in the middle of my desk at home. So far I feel a bit out of control, tbh, and that I'm not dedicating enuff time to my diabetes, but it's made me realise just how much time I DO spend thinking about it...too much!:confused: And tomorrow I'll look back over the week. It's a relief to focus less on diabetes and live a little bit more.
I'm sure you'd agree!:D

That's great news, SB.🙂

I think it was very brave of you to start this thread but it's really helped me for one, so ta v much.😛

Following your example, I've started closing my glucose log and putting it on a shelf instead of it having pride of place in the middle of my desk at home. So far I feel a bit out of control, tbh, and that I'm not dedicating enuff time to my diabetes, but it's made me realise just how much time I DO spend thinking about it...too much!:confused: And tomorrow I'll look back over the week. It's a relief to focus less on diabetes and live a little bit more.
I'm sure you'd agree!:D
Thanks Bloden
Glad it has been some help. The closed book seems to work well. I am back to more detailed recording at present trying FIASP, but still a weekly review.

I now have warps on all my looms, spent a wonderful day teaching children to weave without a loom.

I suspect there will be other blips to come but I have written strategies on hand, and can look back at this thread for some help and encouragement, from a bunch of fabulously supppportive people. Thanks to you all and especially Northerner and the moderators for making this a safe place to seek help.

This is a great thread, exactly the sort of thing a forum should be for. I have picked up some great tips on here. Glad you are feeling positive benefits from your efforts and thanks for posting.

I had a call today and I now have a Talking Therapies appointment. I only had to wait 10 months. I am glad that I chose to afford counselling earlier on.

I am feeling so much better now, but I have decided to go ahead with the one to one offer and to draw on their ideas for strategies. I suspect that in my current frame of mind it will be a lot easier to take them in, reflect on them and think of ways of using them to prevent, or slow any decline in the future.

I will let you know of any useful ideas I pick up.

Last edited:
Was really good to read through your experiences and suggestions again here @SB2015 having seen it linked in another thread.

This thread may be a few years old, but it is still SO relevant!

Thanks for compiling it 🙂

Our Christmas Place settings, woven with my own dyed yarns.

Those mats look lovely.
I have a table top weaving loom in my bedroom which I've been toying with setting up. It's an old toy model for kids from the 50s or 60s I think. The instructions are full of jargon so haven't been able to decipher how to use it yet. It's on my to-do list at some point.

Those mats look lovely.
I have a table top weaving loom in my bedroom which I've been toying with setting up. It's an old toy model for kids from the 50s or 60s I think. The instructions are full of jargon so haven't been able to decipher how to use it yet. It's on my to-do list at some point.
Before you know it you will have a full size loom. I started with a small table loom and two books. I have now taken over a double bedroom and have three looms, including a large mechanical Dobby loom with a flying shuttle, angel wings and a warping valet A bit of jargon there too.
I look forward to seeing what you make.

Before you know it you will have a full size loom. I started with a small table loom and two books. I have now taken over a double bedroom and have three looms, including a large mechanical Dobby loom with a flying shuttle, angel wings and a warping valet A bit of jargon there too.

I was almost going to joke about a ‘flying shuttle’ but you’ve actually got one!!

Room for a Spinning Jenny in the corner?

I remember seeing the Spinning Jenny for the first time.
It led to so many problems when it came into common use.
It was so much smaller than I expected.

I think we're going to have to wait until one of our daughters leaves home to get the space.
I've got a family full of knitters and crocheters.
We have a family wool and button shop so there's stuff everywhere.

So far I have mentioned
- Recognising the impossibility of perfection
- Record and shut the book until the weekly review

More info above in this thread if you missed these

Here is another bit of 'homework' from the counselling that I have found effective.
Heads up
This was simple to implement and surprisingly effective.
I was leaving a counselling session still feeling a bit tearful. The task was to walk home noticing what was around and to smile at people if I ended up making eye contact. She described it as Mindful walking. I know nothing about mindfulness and would usually shy away from those things so was initially a bit dismissive.
I found that as I walked home (about 30 min) when I started to mull over things negatively my head was always down. I consciously looked up and noticed what was above the ground floor: the new contrasting greens on the trees, the Old Council House building with faded lettering, the flues on a new build that have not been aligned (the pedant prevailed), the dates of building a short terrace of houses. when I became introspective again I simply lifted my head again.
I avoided eye contact on that walk but have used the smile on other days, and usually people smile back.

Simple and for me effective.
I hope it helps
Sometimes a smile from another is just enough to lift my mood. so please smile if it does not help you it must be good to know you have helped another.

A simple and very useful strategy.
thanks @Nayshiftin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back