Struggling…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Really hoping for some good advice, and not judgement.
I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic about 10 years ago. And I’m still struggling to get it under control.
I know what I’m supposed to do, and what to eat, so that isn’t the problem.
Over the years I have tried several times to be good, eat well and take my meds. But then I just give up, stop taking my meds and eat rubbish. I know this is totally wrong, but I find I choose bad foods over taking meds (I get bad side effects when I do both!)
I have seen many different doctors who can’t seem to decide what to do with me, other than just trying different meds and telling me to try harder.
I don’t know if my problem is a psychological one, or due to my binge eating disorder (diagnosed a few years ago).
I just want to eat all the time, constantly think about food, and shopping for sweets and cakes etc.
Then I’ll have a few weeks of taking meds, eating sensibly and feeling great, sleeping better…only to sabotage myself by starting the binge eating cycle again and not taking my meds!!
My blood sugars are always in the 20’s, but I seem to function ok.
I’m a 50 year old single mum, with 3 sons and a granddaughter.
I want so desperately to get this under control for all of them, before I make myself really poorly.
I haven’t had my Hba1c for about 6 months as it was 110 last time and I know it will probably be the same, if not higher.
So I’m now reaching out to you all to see if anyone else is like me, or if anyone has any idea how I can deal with this.
Thanks xx
Have you checked out the youtube channel Beat diabetes and watched some of the testimonies? I find that guy really good as he talks with people who had really high blood sugar and got it down. This is one of my favorite interviews:

Oh, definitely easier to eat when the food is just sitting there 24x7 in a handy fridge or cupboard, no doubt about that!

I'm going to go into 'amateur shrink' mode again - so be warned!! You say 'I want to be in control bveing being able to let someone else into my life'....'

Ok, so turn this around a moment. If your relationship with your kids' dad came to sticky end (??), you may 'think' you want a new, better relationship with a 'new, better' man, but DO you??? Or are you scared it might end badly too? If the latter, then you can keep that risk 'at bay' by not yet being 'fit' to start a new relationship??? In other words, your binge eating is keeping you 'unfit' (unsuitable, overweight, however you want to describe it), so 'phew, now I don't have to risk another potentially failed relationship'......

Do you think there is any mileage in this 'inverted logic' I wonder?????

(I'm just throwing out 'possible possibles' that's all - might be utterly wrong of course)

(Inverted logic can be very powerful psychologically - I use it in respect of make-up - or did, when I was younger anyway. The inverted logic went: If I am not beautiful like my mother, I could improve my looks with make up and nice clothes etc. However, what if I spent two hours primping myself with hair, make up and clothes, and STILL looked like the back end of a bus?! That would be SO depressing!! So, to 'stay safe' I won't bother with hair,makeup clothes, and that way I can still fool myself that if I DID bother, I WOULD look more attractive....')

As for not wanting to have been seen eating too much as a child, that can run very deep. Feeling guilty at being 'greedy', feeling ashamed of it, can really haunt. Were you ever 'named and shamed' so to speak, even by passing remarks such as 'Well, we always know who'll finish that last slice of cake, don't we, ha ha!'. Remarks that were 'supposed' to be funny, but you felt hit you on the raw. Perhaps others, like your parents or siblings or friends, felt ashamed of your 'greedy' eating, and had to 'apologise' for you, or make a joke about you or of you??

By the way, for the ultimate 'shame' about eating in public, did you know that Victorian maidens invited to dinner parties would have their 'real' dinner before they dressed - this was partly because of their tight corsets (!), but also because at the dinner parties it was considered 'unladylike' to eat anything except tiny morsels of food..... so the whole 'shaming' business about women who 'eat too much' has gone on a long, long time....

You say you don't know what triggers the binges, nor what stops them - but, as I say, there 'must be' a cause (nothing is without one!). I wonder if you are unconsciously 'blanking' awareness of the triggers? So that you don't have to feel any responsibility for them? You can 'suddenly' find yourself reaching for the cake without any apparent conscious volition, so hey, it's not your fault, is it?

That said, I think it's more important to understand what ends your binge sessions, because, as I say, I personally don't think 'a bit' of food indulgence (eating any food that is of no nutritional value!) is in itself 'bad', it is the AMOUNT that we eat overall. So in practical terms, if you could, say, get to a state whereby everynight you have 'one' slice of cake BUT NO MORE, because you have triggered the 'end binge' response, then that would actually show you were managing the situation a lot more?

I wanted to say hello, and you're not alone.

I am 51, prediabetic, 7 stone overweight and I have binge eating disorder. In my case I have a terror of losing weight and every time I lose weight the fear takes over and I gain more than I lost. I have gained 2 stone in the last year (when I was put on the low carb diet and sent to the gym.)

I now have to move forward with the weightloss somehow because of my blood sugars and because the doc won't let me have a hysterectomy until my weight comes down, but it's really frightening.

One day at a time. 🙂

I’m not sure this is relevant, particularly if you have a binge eating disorder, which I’d hope, as it’s been diagnosed, you are getting some help with, such as counselling. Anyway, if you’re in your 50s are you perimenopausal, or perhaps menopausal? My wife is/was and recently started HRT and it’s made a positive difference in many ways, one being a reduction in appetite. Might be something worth discussing with your GP?
My doctor told me type 2s can't take HRT because it can cause blood clots but there are some herbal alernatives which can help

Newson health has some info on diabetes in menopause.

In my case I have a terror of losing weight

Any idea why? What is it you fear? Has it ever been explored? It sounds like a key 'barrier' to improving your health overall, so presumably does need to be understood and addressed?

Thanks for asking. Yes, I'm working with a therapist on that one. It's related to my PTSD.

Any clues so far? I have to say I've never heard of anyone being scared of losing weight, but that might just be my limitation, rather than it being very rare?

Could it be anything to do with fearing becoming 'weaker' in some way? We associate 'bulk' with 'strength' (and 'lack' of bulk with 'weakness')/

I wanted to say hello, and you're not alone.

I am 51, prediabetic, 7 stone overweight and I have binge eating disorder. In my case I have a terror of losing weight and every time I lose weight the fear takes over and I gain more than I lost. I have gained 2 stone in the last year (when I was put on the low carb diet and sent to the gym.)

I now have to move forward with the weightloss somehow because of my blood sugars and because the doc won't let me have a hysterectomy until my weight comes down, but it's really frightening.

One day at a time. 🙂
Don't worry about losing too much weight, you can get down to a BMI of like 18.6 before your considered 'underweight'. It would take a lot of fasting, and exercise, and low calorie diet to get to that point. Some good advice I got on this forum was to aim for a BMI of 22 and diabetes usually cannot exist.

Thanks for sharing your experiences @petri

It must be so difficult to live with an eating disorder alongside diabetes. My heart goes out to you and @ladsmum50 :(

To an extent I think diabetes almost always creates fertile ground where disordered eating can develop, which must surely add significant complexity to any recovery process.

Hope you can get the expert help and support you need both from the charity BEAT, and also from appropriate counselling etc.

Hello @ladsmum50 and welcome to the forum.
It's just a suggestion so no idea if it will help at all but when you binge eat is it certain foods or anything and everything under the sun?
I wondered if stocking up on cheese, meat and nuts would help as this would be low impact on your blood sugars and make you feel full.
Another option if you can do so could you make some low carb cakes, biscuits and or have sugar free jelly at the ready so you have something to go too?
Just to add that I was told to eat cheese but am veggie and because I had gallstones it contributed to pancreatitis emergency admission so best to becareful with cheese.

Thanks. I had a referral to the eating disorders team when I was first diagnosed, but it was during lockdown and only had a couple of online meetings, which I didn’t feel helped at all. My diabetes nurse recently recommended I be referred back to the diabetes care team, but the doctor said they wouldn’t take me back as they have already tried to help me. So I definitely feel like they’ve all given up on me!
I will definitely have to look into finding some help myself. Thank you for your message though xx
I am in relapse and waiting for Ed therapy, some centres are back taking in person appointments so might be worth touching base again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back