Stripped of strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and one more thing (for now!), I found that if I got a high reading a brisk 30min walk brought it down a couple of notches (and sometimes more).

Of course that meant testing twice in one day! 😱:D

Andy 🙂

I am sure we must have the same nurse and doctor 🙂 Mine will not budge on this at all. She has even written in block letters across the main page of my file on the pc - not to be prescribed strips 😱 This is in case I ask another GP in the practice. She would not even look at my self test results and what I had learned. She did however begrudgingly say I had done well to reduce my Hba1c. Now I don't test as much as it is too expensive. It's a subject that makes me really cross and I am convinced it's down to costs and budgets and so will probably not change 😡

I had a similar fight recently..

Initially my doc was happy to prescribe strips... then i went on to insulin and had to see another doc who told me to stop testing... is he on drugs??

went back to my original doc who said that there had been a practise meeting the previous week and any T2 not on insulin were not allowed any more strips...

I got mine back on prescription and he apologised and suggested maybe the other doc hadnt realised I was now on insulin...

I'm also a member of the wot no strips club...

My PCT have decided that type twos who arn't taking insulin are not allowed to be prescribed test strips...except i think i'm allowewd one box a year so that i can test, if i'm ill. Some of our nurses disagree with this, but the powers that be have spoken. my surgery is of the opinion that over testing makes you paranoid, the leading hospital consultant thinks i'm bright enough to judge for myself. It's not even as if my surgery demand an hba1c every three months, once a year would seem the norm...Still due for another in September, and if it's over 7 i shall kick up a fuss...oh and demand more drugs. I'm sick of being virtuous about my diet all the time..

Rachel

I have plenty of test strips for the optium exeed if anybody requires them.:D
at least 4 spare boxs.

Hi Lucy
Reading comments about gps and their nurses makes me so angry I could go on about it forever (but i wont)! I was diagnosed type 2 Jan 2009. I lost 3 stone (involuntarily went down to 7 stone) and developed severe neuropathy and muscle wastage. I was eventually told by the consultant neurologist that my condition was due to neglecting diabetes. My pn had refused to listen to me when I told her I was getting worse and worse until my son took me to a & e and I was taken into hospital for a month. I now get all the help I need and even get strips 3 packs at a time thanks to a locum - got so many thinking of opening a market stall! Seriously though you have to keep badgering them and you can't possibly know if this thing is under control if you can't test. Best of luck
Joan now on insulin and pregabalin and doing great

i have a fight about these every time i see the doc ive told him it will impact badly on not only my results but on my finances as im unemployed ,
the crazy thing is the nurse tells me every time i see her testing is the best way to control your diabetes and she says i need them ,

Hi YPauly

thanks for your kind offer but I have the Accu check aviva i am afraid, but kind of you to offer.
Thanks to all of you for your kind words, comments and advice too.

Lucy have you got a Lloyds pharmacy where you live?? I recently bought a box of 50 for my avivo nano & paid ?12.59 for mine. Might be worth a look if you do have 1 ????

Hi Scootdevon,
I do have a LLoyds and when I rang they quoted the same price. However when I went in to buy them they said they had quoted the retailers price and not the selling price - they then cost ?26. Well done you for getting them at that price - was it just one pack you bought at that price - if so I hope you are as successful next time.

I can't believe the mark up on them - wish I could make my own.

I use these strips too. Will try LLoyds on Monday and see what they say 🙂

Hi. Let me know and if still cheap, I will do a bit of shopping around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back