stinging injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shetie

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Does anyone have any difficulties with the insulin stinging as it is being injected or after it has gone in? My 12 year old son, type 1 March this year on 2 injections a day, 22 units before breakfast, 10 units before tea he's on mixtard 30. He usually only uses his outer thigh area, he can't entertain the idea of elswhere at the moment, he uses 5mm needles does it himself, but does struggle alot with the pain alot of the time, he pinches up some skin first. He is of very slim build, if it wasn't for the pain of these things he would be feeling alot better about diabetes than he does. He also finds the needle sore at times too. I've thought about 4 injections a day where the amount going in will be less, but he can't deal with at the moment.

He hates the finger tests as well, got very sensitive finger ends. Does anyone have any ideas of making these horrors less painful?

At the moment, I hate diabetes and wish I'd known alot more about it before he was diagnosed, I hope the research throws something up very good for everyone in the near future.

Rotating sites for both injections and fringerpricks is very important, otherwise the insulin might build up in one spot and be absorbed irregularly. I prefer my tummy but try to rotate. Rotating fingers stops them getting sore. Have you spoken to his care team about this? Does he change his needles and lancets regularly? I don't but don't seem to have a problem, but maybe your son could change the needle/lancet whenever he tests or injects so it is as sharp as possible.

Shetie, I found the finger pricking difficult and painful when I first started as due to neuropathy in my hands it was only possible to use the two middle fingers on my left hand. I now use the 'One Touch Ultrasoft' pricker which is very easy to use and doesn't hurt at all. It also has an attachment to enable other sites to be used for testing ie the forearm. With regard to the stinging - i don't use my tum as an injection site very often for that exact reason. It stings when I inject and for a little while afterwards

My only advice would be to rotate sites, dont swab with alcohol swabs before injecting (the alcohol really stings if it gets injected), have the insulin you are using at room temp (hurts more if its cold) and always use a fresh needle. Oh and distraction helps-I use subcut cannulas as I'm on a pump and hate them with a passion but I find them easier to insert if I've got the telly on so I'm not thinking about it too much. Alans got a great idea-ask your nurse about alternative site testing-you can use forearms, legs, palms (never fancied palms personally) but its honestly painless and gives your fingers a break.

Hi, yes he rotates around his leg and always uses a new needle each time, health care team can't offer any advice other than try an ice cube/distraction. Ice cube doesn't work for him. I can only hope it will get easier in time, thanks for your reply.

Shetie, I found the finger pricking difficult and painful when I first started as due to neuropathy in my hands it was only possible to use the two middle fingers on my left hand. I now use the 'One Touch Ultrasoft' pricker which is very easy to use and doesn't hurt at all. It also has an attachment to enable other sites to be used for testing ie the forearm. With regard to the stinging - i don't use my tum as an injection site very often for that exact reason. It stings when I inject and for a little while afterwards

Hi, thank you for reply, I shall encourage him to give forearm a go we have an attachment for this.

My only advice would be to rotate sites, dont swab with alcohol swabs before injecting (the alcohol really stings if it gets injected), have the insulin you are using at room temp (hurts more if its cold) and always use a fresh needle. Oh and distraction helps-I use subcut cannulas as I'm on a pump and hate them with a passion but I find them easier to insert if I've got the telly on so I'm not thinking about it too much. Alans got a great idea-ask your nurse about alternative site testing-you can use forearms, legs, palms (never fancied palms personally) but its honestly painless and gives your fingers a break.
Hi Sunflower, thankyou for that, palms, an intersting one we'll have to try that, we had wondered about a pump but the health team said he would have to do 5-6 finger tests every day so that went out the window and I'm not too sure about the cannula now sounds like quite an ouch!

Yeah its the minimum of 4 tests a day but its often more but using alternative sites makes that easier-dont be put of the cannulas I'm just a great big chicken, everytime I do it I have to psych myself up and everytime its done I think 'well that wasn't too bad'...

Hi,

I get occasional stinging with injections - a bit like a bee sting, but not as severe. I used to think that it was the Lantus, but I do get it occasionally when I inject Novorapid too. When I first started injecting 6 months ago I looked up on the net and saw a few reports of Lantus causing stinging as it's an acid-based substance, but that's probably misleading as I also get it with the novorapid.

I'm skinny too, and find that the only places I can inject are my hips, towards the side and back (if you see what I mean!), and my tummy for the lantus. I tried injecting in my thighs but found it hurt and bruised because there's not enough fatty tissue there - I also bruised when injecting there, so this might be why it's hurting him.

It must be horrible for a child, and a parent, to have to do something that causes pain like this - hope you find a good solution soon!

p.s. I also find the finger-prick tests painful - always try to use the side of the fingertip as this is less sensitive. I've taken to using my little fingers. Even though I haven't used my middle two fingers for ages they are still sore...:(

the only time I really have trouble with stinging is if the insulin is too cold so always use it at room temperature. Apparently lantus is more prone to stinging due to it's ph level, or so my nurse told me! If he's slim and your using the 5mm needles he shouldn't need to 'pinch' to inject, may be worth a go to see if that helps?
As for blood tests, as someone else said, use the sides of the finger tips rather than the pads as they're less painful. And make sure the finger pricker setting is only as high as you need it.

I'm 33 and got diagnosed with T2 a year ago and am on Metformin twice a day.
I have a lot of respect and admiration for anyone having to cope with T1 (regular injections, etc.) but especially for kids going through all that.
No advice from me, just wanted to say to your son hang in there and don't forget to enjoy the good things in life. Having to deal with that kind of thing is no fun but will make you a stronger person. Stay positive big guy!

i've found that i get stinging with lantus and i think that some of that is down to the ph level but i also believe another factor is pen itself which delivers it pretty fast where as my novorapid clicks down so it delivers it much slower and i have some control over it

to let you understand i take my novorapid with a 8mm needle but always take my lantus with a 12.7mm needle as it is wider so the pressure it exerts is less for the same mass flow (longer needles have a bigger outer diameter)... i know this sounds like complete hokum but the chances of me feeling pain when taking lantus is substantially reduced with the bigger needle - go figure :D

i've found that i get stinging with lantus and i think that some of that is down to the ph level but i also believe another factor is pen itself which delivers it pretty fast where as my novorapid clicks down so it delivers it much slower and i have some control over it

That's just what I thought when I first started injecting, and still think it's a factor. I use an Autopen24 for the lantus and novopen for the novorapid.

stining happens dependent on the angle the needle is put in, if youve hit a blood vessel and how close it is to a muscle. and it its cold for some reason lol. has your son tried the tops of his thighs? still make sure he pinches befoe injecting on the top!

HI,
Yes I find injecting sometimes stink. I rub vigorously afterwards and that helps take it away.

Just wanted to say I appreciate your comments made last November re stinging injections and my son, it is very helpful to know that we are not on our own. Got so busy I never had time to reply or look at this sight until now, Shetie

the lantus I inject in my outer thigh usually stings, but when I inject novorapid in my tummy it is usually fine

Finger prick tests always hurt more than injections, for me doing myself, but I always use the side of a finger, never my index finger, as obviously I use that one the most, and I usually prick my left hand, using my dominant right hand.

Generally, injections hurt less when you do them to yourself, rather than someone else. I had given lots of injections as a nurse, mainly intramuscular antibiotics, painkillers and immunisations and some insulin, before being diagnosed and needing insulin myself. Most nurses I worked with, and me, offered anyone the chance to do their own insulin, as they were usually better at it than us! Since diagnosis, I have worked in a travel clinic, and was pleasantly surprised by how many clients said that it hurt less than they were expecing - the key for minimising pain when injecting is to jab the needle in as fast as possible, then inject as slowly as possible. Occasionally, you get near a nerve, which tingles or hurts, but that's chance. A couple of other points - injections hurt less if the liquid is at room temperature, rather than straight from the fridge; the smaller the amount of the fluid, the less pain (this is more noticeable with say the difference beween 0.5ml and 2.0ml immunisation / painkiller than with the difference between say 6 or 8 units before a meal and say 20 units morning bimodal dose, but it can make a difference - so moving to 4 injectiuons per day might actually be less painful overall, if your son can tolerate the idea and welcomes the idea of more freedom of what & when he can eat.

Hiya Shetie,
Is your son doing his finger sticks at the side of his fingers? If not this is where they need to be done they are pain free there.
Also the injecting problems as other have said make sure the site is rotated this does help alot also make sure the insulin is at room temp.
You can get a cream from the chemist to numb the area for injecting this might help.
Going back to the rotating of the injection sites it is also vital to make sure this is done because problems can be caused with the absorbtion of insulin after a few years and then control is gone out of the window.
Best wishes
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back