Stem cells from diabetic patients coaxed to become insulin-secreting cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Signaling a potential new approach to treating diabetes, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and Harvard University have produced insulin-secreting cells from stem cells derived from patients with type 1 diabetes.

People with this form of diabetes can't make their own insulin and require regular insulin injections to control their blood sugar. The new discovery suggests a personalized treatment approach to diabetes may be on the horizon -- one that relies on the patients' own stem cells to manufacture new cells that make insulin.

The researchers showed that the new cells could produce insulin when they encountered sugar. The scientists tested the cells in culture and in mice, and in both cases found that the cells secreted insulin in response to glucose.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160510132809.htm

Yeah, that's lovely and all, but then, when they put them back into the body, the immune system goes 'hey, I've seen these before, i got rid of them last time, I'll get rid of them again!'

The application for their next round of funding must be due soon. 🙄 Cynical, moi - heaven forbid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back