Statins

Thanks @42istheanswer .
Your comment did make me wonder whether the stated side effects are based on the results of clinical trials (within which diabetics may not be over represented) or the wild world (where we are).
And although fatty liver is associated with type 2 diabetes, to my knowledge, that is not the case for Type 1 so the connection with cholesterol is likely to be more tenuous.
I guess my interest is only academic because you never know if you will experience the "rare" side effects until you take them. And, so far, my BG has not been raised by the statins.

I am now thinking aloud so no need to answer unless you know/are interested.

I take statins every day and have done for almost 2 years (it is purely as a precaution due to the increased risk of cardio-vascular diesase associated with Diabetes as my cholesterol levels are excellent) - I have never had any side-effects and certainly no increase in BG - but we are all different...

I've had to explain to my GPs that the Atorvastatin affected both my brain and body, and that there would be no point in pushing me to take them as I would kill myself rather than end up incapacitated and non compos mentis.
There was no record made of the effect it had on me - each year I get the same phone call from a different doctor, so I suspect that the reason it is unusual to have side effects is because no one bothers to make a note.
I was told that as I started and stopped taking Metformin at the same time at the statin, it was not possible to blame either medication.

Back