Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumpie_olgran

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not strictly a diabetes question but grateful for any knowledge out there nonetheless

I've been in statins for the last few months after my cholesterol went a bit nuts (total number north of 10 somewhere and ratio of good to bad I can't remember exactly but the doc referred to it as "striking")

I haven't reacted too badly to the specific Statin (Atorvastatin 40mg) but I suspect it's been behind reduced sleep quality and funnily enough I wonder if it's slightly affecting my memory too. I'm having to really concentrate on remembering wider circle of friends' surnames and that kind of thing, which has always come really easily to me. Could just be aging process or jumping at shadows of course

To the point - has anyone else experienced similar and any view as to whether switching Statin to a different brew would help? Are they all basically the same but different branding or actual differences chemically?

Not strictly a diabetes question but grateful for any knowledge out there nonetheless

I've been in statins for the last few months after my cholesterol went a bit nuts (total number north of 10 somewhere and ratio of good to bad I can't remember exactly but the doc referred to it as "striking")

I haven't reacted too badly to the specific Statin (Atorvastatin 40mg) but I suspect it's been behind reduced sleep quality and funnily enough I wonder if it's slightly affecting my memory too. I'm having to really concentrate on remembering wider circle of friends' surnames and that kind of thing, which has always come really easily to me. Could just be aging process or jumping at shadows of course

To the point - has anyone else experienced similar and any view as to whether switching Statin to a different brew would help? Are they all basically the same but different branding or actual differences chemically?
I had a couple of goes with Statins, I gave up the first time becaue I was getting weird muscle aches, which now I look back, may have been more to do with my body settling down as I got insulin into my system again. That’s by the by, I decided to give them a try again, and got prescribed a low dose of Rosuvastatin, because I was told they had fewer side effects. While I was Googling them, I came across the info that suggested that they didn’t cross the blood brain barrier, so were less likely to affect memory etc. I didn’t really go into it, because that hadn’t been my problem, but it might be a starting point for a google for you.

I have a friend who changed the type of statin as it was affecting his memory and making him depressed and a different one was OK.
There are some which shouldn't be taken in combination with other medications as well.

V helpful thanks both

@Mumpie_olgran I took Atorvastatin for a few weeks after diagnosis and it affected my memory a lot.
It showed it was working though - our brains are made up of lipids and they are essential for a whole raft of different chemicals in our bodies. There was a program on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday 8th - it probably started at 21:30 which was outlining the way cholesterol is used in the body. I must have been listening around 21:45. It should be available to listen to online if you are interested.
I was offered alternatives but I was rather frightened by the severity of my reaction in just a few weeks so I said no thanks. My cholesterol levels went down after my weight stabilised anyway.

Thanks @Drummer I'll see if I can lift that from BBC sounds

I have been taking Atorvastatin (20mg) which the surgery increased to 40mg. I have Type 2 Diabetes and take 2 Metformin a day. Apart from diarrhea I have noticed that since I have been taking them that my blood sugar level has been raised each day. Usually my fasting figure is below 6.5 but it has risen to around 6.8 to 7.2 on average. I seem to have read that statins raise blood sugar levels. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I have been taking Atorvastatin (20mg) which the surgery increased to 40mg. I have Type 2 Diabetes and take 2 Metformin a day. Apart from diarrhea I have noticed that since I have been taking them that my blood sugar level has been raised each day. Usually my fasting figure is below 6.5 but it has risen to around 6.8 to 7.2 on average. I seem to have read that statins raise blood sugar levels. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Statins are reported to reduce insulin sensitivity and hence indirectly raise blood sugar. Of course we are all different and the studies are meta-studies with every man and his dog in there.

I also took Atorvastatin (20mg) for a couple of months and my BGs were way up after fast-acting bolus + carbs and increasing the bolus had no effect on the BG spikes, so that fits the reports. Switched to Simvastatin (10 mg) this month and am keeping an eye the BGs but it's looking similar so far.

Can't say I've really noticed anything but then as a type 1 it may be that I'm just injecting more insulin and it's just that I haven't been able to isolate the statins as an independent variable

just seen these messages i am now on 40mg Atovarstatin it was upped and like some others reporting i too seem to be getting mem problems. do have a review next week so am going to ask to have it reduced back down. not good when i live on my own.

my partner bless was on statins but that did not prevent 3 heart attacks along with strokes so i all ways wondered if statins actually were the wonder drug made out to be! (my cholest has all ways been good so why it was upped is beyond me).

Have just had my blood test after 3 months on Statins for liver function and cholesterol. No side effects from Statin , it is the one that begins rith A (20mg). Am curious to see the result and then consider what to do.

just seen these messages i am now on 40mg Atovarstatin it was upped and like some others reporting i too seem to be getting mem problems. do have a review next week so am going to ask to have it reduced back down. not good when i live on my own.

my partner bless was on statins but that did not prevent 3 heart attacks along with strokes so i all ways wondered if statins actually were the wonder drug made out to be! (my cholest has all ways been good so why it was upped is beyond me).

High cholesterol combined with other metabolic/lifestyle factors increases risks (i.e. smoking, drinking, diet, high blood pressure, uncontrolled diabetes). For people with diabetes (T2) the insulin resistance can lead to an increase in LDL production (As can the lack of insulin, as this is used to metabolise fats) and this combined with uncontrolled blood sugar lead to problems. (I believe high glucose levels can interact with LDL.)

Hope you are able to find a statin that keeps your cholesterol down in the recommended range @Mumpie_olgran

There are a variety of different ones, and often if one doesn’t suit, then an alternative can be found 🙂

Hope you are able to find a statin that keeps your cholesterol down in the recommended range @Mumpie_olgran

There are a variety of different ones, and often if one doesn’t suit, then an alternative can be found 🙂
Thanks Mike, I'm due back to the dr at the end of April so will check again then. For the time being it's fingers crossed on Rosuvastatin...

Has anyone been prescribed statins as a preventative because they are diabetic?? My cholesterol was 4 when diagnosed and is 2.4 now. I have a dairy free diet, don't fry anything either and haven't since I was 17. I am now 58. Dr said I have to take them along with 1.25g of Ramipril to protect my kidneys. This Dr also put my husband on Statins because he was 60????

Has anyone been prescribed statins as a preventative because they are diabetic?? My cholesterol was 4 when diagnosed and is 2.4 now. I have a dairy free diet, don't fry anything either and haven't since I was 17. I am now 58. Dr said I have to take them along with 1.25g of Ramipril to protect my kidneys. This Dr also put my husband on Statins because he was 60????

You have the right to refuse to take statins or indeed any medication. I would query if your total cholesterol is really 2.4 as that is very low and I wonder if you are just looking at the HCL rather than the total. There is no way I would take a statin if my levels were that low as cholesterol is important within the body for a whole range of functions and I believe you can be too low, so I would definitely check you are correct with that result.

I have been refusing statins now for about 3 years and my TC is currently 4.8, up slightly from 4.5 last November but over the last 5 years it has been consistently below the 5.2 it was at diagnosis. I eat lots of fat and mostly saturated fat and am convinced that dietary fat does not contribute to my levels. If my levels were 6 or 7 or above, I would reconsider my refusal, but at present I do not see my cholesterol levels as unhealthy and I personally do not believe I would benefit from a statin and the argument that having diabetes makes me more at risk of CVD does not make sense to me as I am currently fitter and healthier than I was pre diagnosis and fitter than most of my friends who are the same age or younger and don't take statins.

I think people should make an informed decision based on their personal circumstances.

I was initially put on Statins because of Diabetes, I have not taken for years as they gave muscle aches.

You have the right to refuse to take statins or indeed any medication. I would query if your total cholesterol is really 2.4 as that is very low and I wonder if you are just looking at the HCL rather than the total. There is no way I would take a statin if my levels were that low as cholesterol is important within the body for a whole range of functions and I believe you can be too low, so I would definitely check you are correct with that result.

I have been refusing statins now for about 3 years and my TC is currently 4.8, up slightly from 4.5 last November but over the last 5 years it has been consistently below the 5.2 it was at diagnosis. I eat lots of fat and mostly saturated fat and am convinced that dietary fat does not contribute to my levels. If my levels were 6 or 7 or above, I would reconsider my refusal, but at present I do not see my cholesterol levels as unhealthy and I personally do not believe I would benefit from a statin and the argument that having diabetes makes me more at risk of CVD does not make sense to me as I am currently fitter and healthier than I was pre diagnosis and fitter than most of my friends who are the same age or younger and don't take statins.

I think people should make an informed decision based on their personal circumstances.
Fully agree.GPs follow general guidance of NHS/NICE/Gov.uk and FDA/CDC as if every patient were the same. Studies show that statins reduce cardiovascular events in the diabetic population as a whole, but the benefits are not evenly spread amongst types, ethnicities, lifestyles, comorbidities, etc. - some benefit greatly while others see no benefit.

Pfizer are stll settling lawsuits for ignoring the risk of getting type II from statin therapy, but this hasn't stopped gov.uk concluding that "the reduced vascular risk from statin therapy outweighs the risk of diabetes, which is therefore not a reason for stopping statin treatment".

My GP had never heard of statins being linked to type II or increasing IR and without considering each patient's specific background you may be one of those that don't benefit yet get the side-effects. It really is a patient's own decision so don't be pushed - ask for evidence that your profile will benefit.

Last edited:
Has anyone been prescribed statins as a preventative because they are diabetic?? My cholesterol was 4 when diagnosed and is 2.4 now.
Many people take statins without issue, and you should make a personal choice whether statins will benefit you. However please check your results first as has been pointed out - 2.4 is low for total cholesterol.

My total cholesterol was 7.7 and I made the choice to try reducing it via diet - my doctor had no objections to that.
After I made that decision I read of potential risks like liver, diabetes and kidney problems. I'm glad I took the dietary choice as I already have kidney issues and am awaiting an ultrasound now to check my liver.

My total cholesterol was 4. I forgot to ask at my last check but I was told 2.4 at previous check I didn't query it but I will now. I can't get any results on NHS app or make appts. My Drs are a nightmare. I have never been happy taking statins. I think I will stop and see what happens at next diabetic clinic. Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back