Statins without side effects.

Trial and error on this I think. I was prescribed 20mg atorvastatin, gloom, 2nd day felt really horrible so bought a pill cutter and took half until a repeat prescription due. Told surgery's chemist who said well some better than non and I've had 10mg pills since with no adverse affect. (But don't know about the beneficial effect.) My ancient 45Kg frame needs to be taken into account in prescribing, however it is not immediately apparent over the phone!

Trial and error on this I think. I was prescribed 20mg atorvastatin, gloom, 2nd day felt really horrible so bought a pill cutter and took half until a repeat prescription due. Told surgery's chemist who said well some better than non and I've had 10mg pills since with no adverse affect. (But don't know about the beneficial effect.) My ancient 45Kg frame needs to be taken into account in prescribing, however it is not immediately apparent over the phone!

Besides reducing cholesterol statins also stabilise any existing plaque and reduce irritation (varying BGs aggregate this)often a precursor to plaque formation as they body tries to reduce this by laying down plaque. I suspect body weight does not play a big part but with some meds (particularly stronger painkillers) it does. I once got a double dose of opiates and the doctor said I would have worried if you were a little old ladyS but you are far from that (I am more than twice your weight but probably significantly taller).. There are other stains and different people fare better than others on th came statin.Rouvaststin seems to have the least side effects but is not first choice because of the cost.

Some preliminary research suggests that statins also reduce him inflammation. A definite win for some.

I was prescribed 20mg atorvastatin, gloom, 2nd day felt really horrible so bought a pill cutter and took half until a repeat prescription due.
Please remember with any medication to check whether a tablet is slow release or not, and avoid cutting slow release tablets.
Since you told the pharmacist I would assume this one is fine or they would have said something 🙂

Please remember with any medication to check whether a tablet is slow release or not, and avoid cutting slow release tablets.
Since you told the pharmacist I would assume this one is fine or they would have said something 🙂
Thanks for reminder, s'nic. I didn't check but have now done so and think I'm OK with atorvastatin taken at night. Interesting there's some relation between statins and diabetes which I will have to read carefully as it looks complicated.

Besides reducing cholesterol statins also stabilise any existing plaque and reduce irritation (varying BGs aggregate this)often a precursor to plaque formation as they body tries to reduce this by laying down plaque. I suspect body weight does not play a big part but with some meds (particularly stronger painkillers) it does. I once got a double dose of opiates and the doctor said I would have worried if you were a little old ladyS but you are far from that (I am more than twice your weight but probably significantly taller).. There are other stains and different people fare better than others on th came statin.Rouvaststin seems to have the least side effects but is not first choice because of the cost.

Some preliminary research suggests that statins also reduce him inflammation. A definite win for some.
Thanks for reminder about the relation between statins and diabetes. I think I was diagnosed with 48 level diabetes about the same time as I started statins. Will have to check. Isn't life complicated! I apologise to anyone who tut-tutted at my confusing affect, effect, non and none: old age is no excuse, but I am using it.

There are quite a few different statins available.
If you feel terrible on one, rather than risking cutting a tablet which should not be cut, it is better to tell your doc and try a different type of statins.
As for the relation between statins and diabetes, I assume you are referring to the potential to increase blood glucose which is mentioned in the leaflet that comes with the tablets along with other potential side effects which probably includes the problems you experienced.

It is VERY important to read the information that comes with your medication to make sure you understand the potential side effects and what to do if you experience them.

Sadly side effects are overstated by keyboard warriors. There re a lot of statins (currently five in the UK - Atorvastain, Simvastatin, Rouvastatin, Pravastatin and Fluvastatin). and doses out there. I was started on Simvastatin which did cause muscle aches. A friend who took about 17 (!) H&B products a day suggested CoQ10 which did nothing bar hammer my debit card! A change to Atorvastatin solved the issue. Besides lowering cholesterol statins reduce irritation often the precursor to plaque formation and stabilise any existing plaque. My cholesterol; was never high (4.2) but a hereditary issue lead to blocked arteries and all the males on the male side died from heart attacks prematurely (my grandfather when my father was five years old). There are now frequent pop-ups about Red Rice Yeast Extract (RRYE) claiming it is a natural product when it actually fermented and the active ingredient ois the same as Rouvastatin but the dosage and other ingredients uncontrolled. I am convinced my initial dose of 10mg was far to low and am now on 40mg.

i was prescribed them automatically as most people in our area are now for just being over a certain age, whether or not they have diabetes. I developed horrible pains in my limbs and after a very helpful conversation with my GP have come off them and am doing well. I also heard on the radar that people expect to have pain because they've heard that other people do. I had no idea they had a reputation for this, so it was not, as some doctors say, all in my head. you have to do what is right for you and see what happens.

Back