Statins/chlosterol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this link on Cholesterol National Guidelines (2020).
Summary of national guidance for lipid management for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease

You didn't actually include a link; and, when I search for "Summary of national guidance for lipid management for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease"-- what I get is the link I posted. Which says "Document first published 9 April 2020" and then says it was updated in December 2022 ...

I feel I should emphasise I'm not being sarcastic! If you do know of very recent research casting doubt on what NICE recommended as of late 2022, I genuinely want to know.

As it is, it looks as though you may have been looking at something out-of-date which has been overtaken by further research?
Check out the guidance from January 2023 ..

• Total cholesterol is an important predictor of CVD events. However, non-high density lipoprotein cholesterol (non-HDL-C) — the difference between total and HDL-C is a powerful risk factor.
  • Non-HDL-C has replaced low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) as the primary target for reducing cardiovascular risk with lipid-modifying treatment.
Lipid Modification guidance NHS/Nice

So as of now Total minus HDL is the key measure ( no mention of 'ratios'). This January advice seems to follow the ADA/AHA revised guidance on chol measures of Dec 2022. As usual we are behind and following USA. Looks like Qrisk3 will have to be revised at least the chol measure used. HTH. The new ADA advice is also heavy on LDL targets

Mayo Clinic abandoned ratios in favour of Total minus HDL a couple of years ago.

Check out the guidance from January 2023 ..

• Total cholesterol is an important predictor of CVD events. However, non-high density lipoprotein cholesterol (non-HDL-C) — the difference between total and HDL-C is a powerful risk factor.
  • Non-HDL-C has replaced low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) as the primary target for reducing cardiovascular risk with lipid-modifying treatment.
Lipid Modification guidance NHS/Nice

So as of now Total minus HDL is the key measure ( no mention of 'ratios'). This January advice seems to follow the ADA/AHA revised guidance on chol measures of Dec 2022. As usual we are behind and following USA. Looks like Qrisk3 will have to be revised at least the chol measure used. HTH. The new ADA advice is also heavy on LDL targets

Mayo Clinic abandoned ratios in favour of Total minus HDL a couple of years ago.
Absolutely!

What's annoying/puzzling though is that QRISK3 stil uses the HDL ratio for risk stratification, even though NICE doesn't use the ratio as a treatment target. It doesn't seem like a very coherent situation. QRISK3 is overdue for an update, IMO.

So the data it was based on was so vital that NICE have dropped it. Over the years I have become very cynical about much of the research data used for diabetes, cholesterol guidance etc. Ancel Keys comes to mind....Also NHS diet guidance based on 'research' and which could easily make your diabetes worse.
I can only agree 100% .

@Spathiphyllum I have just dlne the test and scored 12 out of 16. So my diet seemingly supports a lower cholesterol level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back