Statins - are you on them?

What is your situation regarding statins?

• On them since diagnosis

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Started them but stopped

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Have been told or expect I will need them eventually

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Never started them

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Told to start them, but decided not to

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I remember asking my DSN if everyone with diabetes took statins and she said she didn't think so. When I asked my GP why I had been put on them (my total chol was 3.7 without them), she told me they liked diabetics to keep their chol as low as possible. I stopped taking them when my total chol went donw to 2.4.

I was wondering therefore, how many people here were automatically put on statins after diagnosis, whatever their chol levels?

i was given them by my gp but after reading the leaflet i didnt take them 2 months later i spoke to my consultant about it and he agreed with my age and that my levels are low {aways under 4} i wasnt worth it as my pancreas is very fragile thought past medical problems and the tablets can cause pancreaitis

"Began statins some time after initial diagnosis".

Of course, silly me! Thanks Peter - unfortunately it won't let me add another option or alter the existing ones. You could interpret the first option as being 'started taking them on or after diagnosis'

Last edited:
Of course, silly me! Thanks Peter - unfortunately it won't let me add another option or alter the existing ones. You could interpret the first option as being 'started taking them on or after diagnosis'

and ...
"on statins before diagnosis".😉

I was wondering therefore, how many people here were automatically put on statins after diagnosis, whatever their chol levels?

I was put on statins straight away, but only because my cholesterol levels were higher than they wanted them to be. In other words, she checked my levels before deciding, so it wasn't a case of "whatever the levels".

So...I shall click "since diagnosis".

Nobody has ever discussed them with me. Do they have many side effects?

Hi
have been on Statins for years , I have had 3 stents fitted in the heart and 1/2 years ago had a stroke ........ it all strted thru being T! Diabetic and High cholesterol, thank god they have come down! Daren't tell you what they were years ago!😱

Hugs Mo xx

put on them at diagnoises but taken off after 3 months doing the colestral thing by diet now

My triclygerides were high from diagnosis, but my cholestorol is otherwise spot on in range (Overall 3.9mmol/s, HDL 0.9mmols) so I'm on Fenofibrate purely for the triclygerides.

Something works :D

Was prescribed them on diagnosis but made me feel unwell, also got cholestrol down below 4 by diet so stopped taking them

I've been on them since diagnosis but they dont seem to have had any effect on my cholesterol levels anyway - and to my mind they were only ever slightly above 'normal'. If my cholesterol is the same at my 6 monthly check up in March I am highly tempted to stop taking them, not least as I have to pay for them! My GP also wanted to put me on metformin even tho my HbA1c is only 6.1.....needless to say I politely declined.

On them since diagnosis and cholesterol is significantly lower. However, at least some of that is due to the diet.

Never heard about Statins till I went on this forum. My doc says my cholestorol is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back