Starting a new weight loss effort with almost 100kg of excess weight to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But low carb is not eliminating a whole food group.
I eat 40 gm of carbs a day, but few people need to go as low as that.
Even at that level I have stir fries, mushrooms, mixed low carb veges, mixed low carb berries, I make cauliflower cheese, mashed swede for dinner and leftovers as bubble and squeak, in the warm weather I have various salads and chilled desserts.
All I eliminate are high carb foods which have little nutritional value, and low fat options so I feel so very well these days.
I hear you - let me rephrase. Eliminating the number of foods that the Harcombe diet needs (especially at the beginning) is a known trigger for my eating disorder. I'm also disabled, and have to eat a lot of pre-prepared foods (including a fair amount of processed stuff but I do try and limit it) including things like instant rice that do tend to be high carb. I do choose lower carb, higher fat options wherever I can but I can't truly follow the Harcombe diet as it is laid out in the book/plan!
The house I grew up in was a house that followed the Harcombe diet for a number of years, so I also have habits from that time that mean I tend to go low carb over anything else. I just can't consistently do it without a) triggering my eating disorder and b) not eating proper meals.

I hear you - let me rephrase. Eliminating the number of foods that the Harcombe diet needs (especially at the beginning) is a known trigger for my eating disorder. I'm also disabled, and have to eat a lot of pre-prepared foods (including a fair amount of processed stuff but I do try and limit it) including things like instant rice that do tend to be high carb. I do choose lower carb, higher fat options wherever I can but I can't truly follow the Harcombe diet as it is laid out in the book/plan!
The house I grew up in was a house that followed the Harcombe diet for a number of years, so I also have habits from that time that mean I tend to go low carb over anything else. I just can't consistently do it without a) triggering my eating disorder and b) not eating proper meals.
Having just looked up the Harcombe diet I can see that you'd want to avoid that if you wanted to lower glucose levels - and why on earth exclude mushrooms?
As I wrote, eating low carb means a wide variety of foods, and few restrictions which make it so easy.
I think that the time I spend cooking these days is quite a bit less than when I was trying to follow diet sheets - the slow cooker, automatic grill and pressure cooker make it so easy and quick as well.

Mushrooms: only if you have candida and, perhaps, not even then. The rules, don't mix simple carb meals with fat meals, and not more than three meals a day, are there to prevent cravings and promote weight loss. That is pretty much all I need to know.

While I appreciate what you are saying, Harcombe specifically is not something I'm going to do because it might risk my recovery from BED (based on past experience!) and everything goes out the window if I start bingeing again - I'd rather eat small amounts of food that might not be the best for my blood sugar but mostly be eating decent stuff than start bingeing again.
Also worth noting that my disability prevents me from being upright for more than a few minutes at a time on my worst days, so sub-optimal food choices are sometimes the difference between eating and not eating at all!
It might be something I consider in the future, but for now what I'm doing is working for me. And I generally eat lower carb - I don't do cereals or bread and not much potato, and protein takes a priority.

While I appreciate what you guys are saying, Harcombe specifically is not something I'm going to do because it might risk my recovery from BED (based on past experience!) and everything goes out the window if I start bingeing again - I'd rather eat small amounts of food that might not be the best for my blood sugar but mostly be eating decent stuff than start bingeing again.
It might be something I consider in the future, but for now what I'm doing is working for me.
Also worth considering that she is generally regarded by real people in the field as a honking charlatan, like anybody else who recommends eliminating whole classes of macronutrients.

Hi. I’m new to this forum but your post struck a chord with me because I’ve been overweight my whole life and like most people have yo-yo’d up and down, with the almost inevitable gradual increase over time. Firstly, I wanted to offer you an e-hug!
I hit my heaviest ever weight in summer 2023. My wife had been trying mega hard to lose weight in the previous 6 months and at that point had lost around 10kg whilst I managed to gain 6kg…which, on reflection wasn’t very supportive of me.
In the last six months I have lost over 15kg and she is about 18kg down overall. We both have a very long way to go, but she did her first park run a month ago and another yesterday (I can’t run due to a dodgy leg). Everyone is different but I do know that appetite isn’t something that can be ‘beaten’ by will power, although when you’re overweight you are made to feel like you are somehow weak. This is not true. I’m still finding things out about my own problems with food, but I thought I would share some of my current thinking (and observations about my wife) in case you find any of it useful.
1) There is too much confusing and conflicting advice out there on food and weight loss, and if you try to make sense of it it’s very hard to know what is right or the best course of action. This is partly because it’s a huge industry and people are trying to make money out of you.
2) There is no cheaty way of beating this thing. It took effort to gain weight and it will take the same commitment to lose it. I realised that I actually had to work reasonably hard to maintain my weight and put quite a lot of effort into eating the wrong stuff, too much stuff etc.
3) You have to stop beating yourself up about whatever habits you formed that contributed to your weight gain and accept that this doesn’t define you as a person and that you can start to change things if you do it bit at a time.
4) Seek progression, not perfection! Stop focussing on the end number and start focussing on one or two small changes. For me this was setting a couple of rules such as almost no fast food (which was actually really hard at first because I travel a lot for work), but every time I chose sushi over Macdonalds or a Diet Coke over a milkshake then this was a big victory. With this small change I started losing half a pound every other week. Previously I would have been unhappy with that, but actually, that’s exactly how the weight went on! I did really ‘go for it’ for two weeks after Christmas and managed to drop more much quicker, but I know that sort of thing isn’t sustainable). Another example is my wife’s running: the idea of running was actually laughable a year back, but she’s a stubborn bitch (she’d agree with this description) and so when she decided to try the couch to 5k app then her one rule was to get up at 6am and get out the door three times a week…nothing else and no other pressure or expectation. She made this promise to herself and tiny bit by tiny bit she ran a little, walked a lot, ran a bit more etc. I couldn’t do it, even if I could run, but that was her rule. She didn’t start by saying “I’ll never run 5k because I can’t even run 100m”, she just did what she could and looked for small progression and never perfection. Perfection doesn’t exist after all, so stop being unreasonable with your expectations. She can now run for 5k without stopping. She also says that she doesn’t care if she looks fat and sweaty whilst doing it because she’s doing it for her.
5) At the risk of being horribly patronising, there is something you can take that will improve and maybe even cure many ailments and health issues. It’s called food. Food is fuel, but it’s also poison or medicine, depending on which you choose. My big motivator is that I’m rapidly approaching 50 and I’m worried about my family history of heart problems and my previously stratospheric cholesterol. In fact, at first I didn’t even set out to lose weight, I just set out to stop poisoning myself, to eat more healthily and concentrated on eating ‘heart healthy’. I didn’t limit what I ate at all, but I did limit saturated fat and concentrated on eating things that help lower bad cholesterol such as unsalted nuts, good fats, much less red meat and going for food that would give me more fibre. Without trying or ever feeling hungry (and still with the occasional slip) I dropped 5kg in 3 months.
6) Shitty carbs can be reduced. A few months back I had a blood test that suggested I might be diabetic, so I actually started to consciously loose weight. This involved heart healthy food (much of which was now habit), but also making an effort to avoid large amounts of carbs, and if I did eat carbs stuff then try to eat lower GI carbs. I also cut out almost all sugar (I do use sweetener currently), though a bit of dark chocolate still features. You don’t have to be a prig about this, and I still had cake at my youngest’s birthday last weekend (but I had less than I would have normally done), but I try to eat a lot less bread, potatoes and rice. This did take effort, but…Do you know what? After a couple of weeks it’s not that big a deal. I didn’t go ‘low carb’ at any point, but I have gone ‘less carb’. I might add that despite my effort it was too little, too late and I was given a diabetes diagnosis a couple of weeks back.
7) Don’t get hungry. Hunger is not something that you can control…hunger controls you. Hunger is hormonal, it’s chemical, it’s emotional and our bodies are good at responding to it. Once you are properly hungry then if you’re anything like me then you just go for it and eat, eat, eat. This isn’t you being weak, this is you being normal. Most people do that when they are ravenous, but most people don’t let themselves get really hungry because their urge to eat isn’t wrapped in all sorts of guilt and shame they don’t deny them selves so much…so they don’t then risk gorging. I have been teaching myself to eat when I feel hungry, or at least to schedule sensible mealtimes and snacks (it’s ok to be a bit peckish in between). This has been quite hard to do and has taken a bit of thinking about, but I now make sure I eat three meals a day, snack on nuts or beef jerky or fruit (yes, I’m now enjoying fruit), and if I’m craving something sweet then I mix full fat Greek yoghurt with sweetener, a few blueberries or grapes, a tablespoon of low sugar muesli and a tablespoon of rolled oats (it’s like an amazing dessert…especially if you leave it to rest for half an hour, cause then it tastes like something that is really bad for you). I have also replaced most chocolate cravings with a cup of cocoa made with sweetners (or that Options stuff is good too). Anyway, if you’re hungry then eat, but eat well. Good food.
8) Develop a dislike of ‘bad food’. I don’t mean that you should never eat cheese again or that you can’t occasionally get drunk and have a kebab, but those foods are not good for your heart, so learn about bad fats or what sugar does in large quantities and scare yourself off it. Make them a rare treat. Seriously, I now look at the cheese in our fridge as if it’s trying to kill me (which it eventually will if I keep eating loads of it). I love the taste of cheese, I love the taste of dinner meat…it’s just that I know that it ain’t good for me. Not from a ‘makes me fat perceptive’, but from a ‘it blocks my arteries’ perspective. There’s loads of other good tasting stuff anyway.
9) Control your drinking. My wife likes a drink more than is good for her, whereas it doesn’t bother me at all and I can god a week or two without. If she drinks a bottle of wine (or two) then that’s a huge amount of calories. She doesn’t want to stop drinking, so she’s made a rule that it’s Friday and Sat night only. There’s about 600 calories in a bottle of wine and 1lb in weight is 3500 calories. It’s calories you can do without most of the time.
10) Exercise. It take a lot of exercise to burn off the calories in one apple, so weight loss is more about food than anything, HOWEVER, do not let this mean you should avoid exercise. Strength training will help your muscles work better and will contribute to using more calories. Walking lowers those nasty blood sugars and makes you feel happier. Small steps etc, but I now excercise regularly and feel loads better for it. It never really gets easier because you gradually raise your expectations/goals and you just have to make yourself do it. I also know that if you’ve made the effort to exercise then you don’t want to waste that by eating crap, so use it to motivate your food choices as much as anything else. Also, do something that is slightly fun or social.
11) You will have ‘bad days’ where your food choices slip. You will gain weight at times even when you have been ‘good’, especially if you’re female, because of those pesky hormones. That’s all part of the journey. The important part is that it has a downward trend overall.
12) Fit trackers are worth it. I like my Apple Watch because the health app lets you focus on health, but other ones do the same. I enjoy seeing my resting heart rate gradually go down and my weight gradually go down on a graph. They let you track fitness too and mine bullies me when I haven’t stood up for a while etc.

I have another load of kg to go (about 40) and my wife (about 50) but I’m not even thinking too much about that…I’m just focusing on eating good food, fewer carbs and making myself move a bit more. It’s going to take me years, but I’m ok with that.
I don’t know whether any of the above was useful, but I felt it therapeutic to write.
Hope you find a way to move towards where you want to be. Xxx

Last edited:
Also worth considering that she is generally regarded by real people in the field as a honking charlatan, like anybody else who recommends eliminating whole classes of macronutrients.
I would be interested to see your evidence.

While I appreciate what you are saying, Harcombe specifically is not something I'm going to do because it might risk my recovery from BED (based on past experience!) and everything goes out the window if I start bingeing again - I'd rather eat small amounts of food that might not be the best for my blood sugar but mostly be eating decent stuff than start bingeing again.
Also worth noting that my disability prevents me from being upright for more than a few minutes at a time on my worst days, so sub-optimal food choices are sometimes the difference between eating and not eating at all!
It might be something I consider in the future, but for now what I'm doing is working for me. And I generally eat lower carb - I don't do cereals or bread and not much potato, and protein takes a priority.
Fair enough. Frequent small meals control blood sugar well.

Hi. I’m new to this forum but your post struck a chord with me because I’ve been overweight my whole life and like most people have yo-yo’d up and down, with the almost inevitable gradual increase over time. Firstly, I wanted to offer you an e-hug!
I hit my heaviest ever weight in summer 2023. My wife had been trying mega hard to lose weight in the previous 6 months and at that point had lost around 10kg whilst I managed to gain 6kg…which, on reflection wasn’t very supportive of me.
In the last six months I have lost over 15kg and she is about 18kg down overall. We both have a very long way to go, but she did her first park run a month ago and another yesterday (I can’t run due to a dodgy leg). Everyone is different but I do know that appetite isn’t something that can be ‘beaten’ by will power, although when you’re overweight you are made to feel like you are somehow weak. This is not true. I’m still finding things out about my own problems with food, but I thought I would share some of my current thinking (and observations about my wife) in case you find any of it useful.
1) There is too much confusing and conflicting advice out there on food and weight loss, and if you try to make sense of it it’s very hard to know what is right or the best course of action. This is partly because it’s a huge industry and people are trying to make money out of you.
2) There is no cheaty way of beating this thing. It took effort to gain weight and it will take the same commitment to lose it. I realised that I actually had to work reasonably hard to maintain my weight and put quite a lot of effort into eating the wrong stuff, too much stuff etc.
3) You have to stop beating yourself up about whatever habits you formed that contributed to your weight gain and accept that this doesn’t define you as a person and that you can start to change things if you do it bit at a time.
4) Seek progression, not perfection! Stop focussing on the end number and start focussing on one or two small changes. For me this was setting a couple of rules such as almost no fast food (which was actually really hard at first because I travel a lot for work), but every time I chose sushi over Macdonalds or a Diet Coke over a milkshake then this was a big victory. With this small change I started losing half a pound every other week. Previously I would have been unhappy with that, but actually, that’s exactly how the weight went on! I did really ‘go for it’ for two weeks after Christmas and managed to drop more much quicker, but I know that sort of thing isn’t sustainable). Another example is my wife’s running: the idea of running was actually laughable a year back, but she’s a stubborn bitch (she’d agree with this description) and so when she decided to try the couch to 5k app then her one rule was to get up at 6am and get out the door three times a week…nothing else and no other pressure or expectation. She made this promise to herself and tiny bit by tiny bit she ran a little, walked a lot, ran a bit more etc. I couldn’t do it, even if I could run, but that was her rule. She didn’t start by saying “I’ll never run 5k because I can’t even run 100m”, she just did what she could and looked for small progression and never perfection. Perfection doesn’t exist after all, so stop being unreasonable with your expectations. She can now run for 5k without stopping. She also says that she doesn’t care if she looks fat and sweaty whilst doing it because she’s doing it for her.
5) At the risk of being horribly patronising, there is something you can take that will improve and maybe even cure many ailments and health issues. It’s called food. Food is fuel, but it’s also poison or medicine, depending on which you choose. My big motivator is that I’m rapidly approaching 50 and I’m worried about my family history of heart problems and my previously stratospheric cholesterol. In fact, at first I didn’t even set out to lose weight, I just set out to stop poisoning myself, to eat more healthily and concentrated on eating ‘heart healthy’. I didn’t limit what I ate at all, but I did limit saturated fat and concentrated on eating things that help lower bad cholesterol such as unsalted nuts, good fats, much less red meat and going for food that would give me more fibre. Without trying or ever feeling hungry (and still with the occasional slip) I dropped 5kg in 3 months.
6) Shitty carbs can be reduced. A few months back I had a blood test that suggested I might be diabetic, so I actually started to consciously loose weight. This involved heart healthy food (much of which was now habit), but also making an effort to avoid large amounts of carbs, and if I did eat carbs stuff then try to eat lower GI carbs. I also cut out almost all sugar (I do use sweetener currently), though a bit of dark chocolate still features. You don’t have to be a prig about this, and I still had cake at my youngest’s birthday last weekend (but I had less than I would have normally done), but I try to eat a lot less bread, potatoes and rice. This did take effort, but…Do you know what? After a couple of weeks it’s not that big a deal.
7) Don’t get hungry. Hunger is not something that you can control…hunger controls you. Hunger is hormonal, it’s chemical, it’s emotional and our bodies are good at responding to it. Once you are properly hungry then if you’re anything like me then you just go for it and eat, eat, eat. This isn’t you being weak, this is you being normal. Most people do that when they are ravenous, but most people don’t let themselves get really hungry because their urge to eat isn’t wrapped in all sorts of guilt and shame they don’t deny them selves so much…so they don’t then risk gorging. I have been teaching myself to eat when I feel hungry, or at least to schedule sensible mealtimes and snacks (it’s ok to be a bit peckish in between). This has been quite hard to do and has taken a bit of thinking about, but I now make sure I eat three meals a day, snack on nuts or beef jerky or fruit (yes, I’m now enjoying fruit), and if I’m craving something sweet then I mix full fat Greek yoghurt with sweetener, a few blueberries or grapes, a tablespoon of low sugar muesli and a tablespoon of rolled oats (it’s like an amazing dessert…especially if you leave it to rest for half an hour, cause then it tastes like something that is really bad for you). I have also replaced most chocolate cravings with a cup of cocoa made with sweetners (or that Options stuff is good too). Anyway, if you’re hungry then eat, but eat well. Good food.
8) Develop a dislike of ‘bad food’. I don’t mean that you should never eat cheese again or that you can’t occasionally get drunk and have a kebab, but those foods are not good for your heart, so learn about bad fats or what sugar does in large quantities and scare yourself off it. Make them a rare treat. Seriously, I now look at the cheese in our fridge as if it’s trying to kill me (which it eventually will if I keep eating loads of it). I love the taste of cheese, I love the taste of dinner meat…it’s just that I know that it ain’t good for me. Not from a ‘makes me fat perceptive’, but from a ‘it blocks my arteries’ perspective. There’s loads of other good tasting stuff anyway.
9) Control your drinking. My wife likes a drink more than is good for her, whereas it doesn’t bother me at all and I can god a week or two without. If she drinks a bottle of wine (or two) then that’s a huge amount of calories. She doesn’t want to stop drinking, so she’s made a rule that it’s Friday and Sat night only. There’s about 600 calories in a bottle of wine and 1lb in weight is 3500 calories. It’s calories you can do without most of the time.
10) Exercise. It take a lot of exercise to burn off the calories in one apple, so weight loss is more about food than anything, HOWEVER, do not let this mean you should avoid exercise. Strength training will help your muscles work better and will contribute to using more calories. Walking lowers those nasty blood sugars and makes you feel happier. Small steps etc, but I now excercise regularly and feel loads better for it. It never really gets easier because you gradually raise your expectations/goals and you just have to make yourself do it. I also know that if you’ve made the effort to exercise then you don’t want to waste that by eating crap, so use it to motivate your food choices as much as anything else. Also, do something that is slightly fun or social.
11) You will have ‘bad days’ where your food choices slip. You will gain weight at times even when you have been ‘good’, especially if you’re female, because of those pesky hormones. That’s all part of the journey. The important part is that it has a downward trend overall.
12) Fit trackers are worth it. I like my Apple Watch because the health app lets you focus on health, but other ones do the same. I enjoy seeing my resting heart rate gradually go down and my weight gradually go down on a graph. They let you track fitness too and mine bullies me when I haven’t stood up for a while etc.

I have another load of kg to go (about 40) and my wife (about 50) but I’m not even thinking too much about that…I’m just focusing on eating good food, fewer carbs and making myself move a bit more. It’s going to take me years, but I’m ok with that.
I don’t know whether any of the above was useful, but I felt it therapeutic to write.
Hope you find a way to move towards where you want to be. Xxx
Thank you. Agree in general. I adopted a low carb, low caloris, rapid weight loss approach to achieve remission (Newcastle diet, real food version). That was successful but my metabolism is slower as a result. In hindsight I wish I had followed the Harcombe blueprint after week 4. I emulated your wife by running a 5k then my right knee objected.

As someone who also has an eating disorder I want to chime in that advice to follow X or Y and then to push back when someone says that it’s not a good idea because of an eating disorder is clearly well intentioned but not exactly helpful.

Christmas - I agree with your approach and wish you good luck with it
"I'd rather eat small amounts of food that might not be the best for my blood sugar but mostly be eating decent stuff than start bingeing again."
ED is so complex, isn't it? Risking relapse not worth it, so do what works for you.
The last week shows that. Good on you.

@ColinUK @Eddy Edson
I have done Harcombe before, and did lose weight, but unfortunately eliminating whole food groups is a trigger for my binge eating disorder, so it's not something I would consider doing again currently. It has worked brilliantly for some of my family members though and I appreciate the recommendation as under other circumstances it would be good for me too I'm sure 🙂

Have had a hectic and illness-ridden week, maintained my weight by the end of it (yesterday - Saturdays are the figure I'm recording, but I'm interested in how my weight changes day to day). I was lower and higher throughout the week (174.8 on Weds, 177 on Fri) and I've been alternately dehydrated & bloated/water retaining so I'm happy with maintenance. Hopefully will be feeling better this coming week and my body back to normal.
Had my HbA1c results! We are down from 89 to 64. Speaking to diabetes nurse next week to discuss meds maybe changing.

Week 2:
Weight: 176.6kg (no change)
BMI: 55.7 (no change)
Excess weight remaining: 97.6

My eating plan and other measures are going well and I'm not running into much trouble, couple of days I was very hungry all day but thats kind of typical for me.

A note that I appreciate well-intentioned suggestions but please stop suggesting Harcombe! For reasons previously discussed it is not right for me and I will not be adopting it 🙂

A note that I appreciate well-intentioned suggestions but please stop suggesting Harcombe! For reasons previously discussed it is not right for me and I will not be adopting it 🙂
To clarify, I have already have. I wrote 'fair enough' and that was that. Apart that is from others who joined in with unhelpful comments. My last post was addressed to them. Let's all let it rest. Good luck !!!

Sorry to hear you have been unwell and as a result your weight loss has stalled but many congratulations on your HbA1c reduction and well done for sticking with your meal plan despite illness. Hope this week sees you make some weight loss progress too but the HbA1c reduction is a big win, so don't lose sight of that and keep at it.

@christmas

My own weightloss has been so effortless and sustainable I can only recommend eating low carb as a first option, as I struggled for many decades under the tyranny of the concept of 'healthy' carbs. I hoped that if you could begin to see results on the scales it would be helpful.
By the time I was diagnosed just the thought of being weighed was unbearable - a response to all the abuse about not being able to cope with carbs all my adult life, and I still can't cope with the idea of being weighed with the assumption of judgement always being there - I had palpitations at the stress of being forced onto the scales even when told how much I'd lost rather than my actual weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my HbA1c results! We are down from 89 to 64. Speaking to diabetes nurse next week to discuss meds maybe changing.
Congratulations! That’s a great reduction. Well done 🙂
Week 2:
Weight: 176.6kg (no change)
BMI: 55.7 (no change)
Excess weight remaining: 97.6

My eating plan and other measures are going well and I'm not running into much trouble, couple of days I was very hungry all day but thats kind of typical for me.

Well done for sticking to your plan. Thanks for sharing your progress and updates. Great to hear things are going well 🙂

Hi all, weekly update

Week 3 stats:

Weight: 174.3kg (-2.3kg)
BMI: 55.0 (-0.7)
Excess weight remaining: 95.3kg

I am finding it easier and easier to stick to my plan of eating. And the scales this week are a good motivator! I think a decent chunk of it is last weeks fat loss too, and its only shown up this week because all my congestion and illness has passed and I'm retaining less water.
Feeling good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back