Started pumping novorapid today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch1ps

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Going well so far. Spent a good few hours with 2 DSNs. :D

Ask me again Sunday when I do my first set change.

SHould I be worried about a bubble in the tubing?

I've got a Medtronic pump and use silouhettes and never once had an issue with bubbles in the reservoir in 18 months. I hope they took time to show you how to do it. There are tutorials on the Medtronic website but nothing is a substitute for experience. If you see a big bubble just push it back in to the vial and let it re-fill. Once filled, we've been told recently by Medtronic to turn the vial so it's upright and then take off the connector. We're all here on the forum if you need to ask anything. All the best.

Thanks Riri,

I filled the line with the DSN, who checked it and said was ok. Somehow there is now a bubble in the tube going to my set.

Can you disconnect and reprime? Wait till the bubble comes out the end then reconnect to the cannula?

Can you disconnect and reprime? Wait till the bubble comes out the end then reconnect to the cannula?

Thanks for this advice, only seen this morning, but will try this if it happens again.

Many thanks

How you getting on ch1ps?

I started on Monday. It's a crazy amount of testing to begin with, isn't it? Looking forward to not setting my alarm clock for overnight tests 😉

I started on Monday. It's a crazy amount of testing to begin with, isn't it? Looking forward to not setting my alarm clock for overnight tests 😉

Certainly is, I got up at 2am for a trip to the loo, so did a test then. 🙂

Good, testing all the time. But seem to be going well thanks Laura 🙂

Good to hear, you are getting on with it 🙂

How many times are you currently testing on average?

Laura

Once you have your long-acting out of your system (usually about 3 days) you have to start doing basal testing, which is the same basal testing as you do anyway on MDI - we do it in 6 hour stretches round here. On different days until you've covered 24 hours.

Thing is, your initial hourly rates are only based on 'best guess' by the HCPs so you do have to test test test for a while to begin with, to get it right.

Subsequently you probably only have to do the basal test over whichever bit of the day it doesn't seem to be right, and only occasionally do the full 24 hour palaver, to confirm you are still on track.

I'm not on track at the mo - so need to bite the bullet and get a full jobby done.

Laura

Once you have your long-acting out of your system (usually about 3 days) you have to start doing basal testing, which is the same basal testing as you do anyway on MDI - we do it in 6 hour stretches round here. On different days until you've covered 24 hours.

Thing is, your initial hourly rates are only based on 'best guess' by the HCPs so you do have to test test test for a while to begin with, to get it right.

Subsequently you probably only have to do the basal test over whichever bit of the day it doesn't seem to be right, and only occasionally do the full 24 hour palaver, to confirm you are still on track.

I'm not on track at the mo - so need to bite the bullet and get a full jobby done.

Thank you 🙂

I need to hit my pumping insulin book for the basal test

Thank you 🙂

I need to hit my pumping insulin book for the basal test

Try looking at the top of this forum. There's a sticky for basal testing.

Good to hear, you are getting on with it 🙂

How many times are you currently testing on average?

They said every 2 hours and try to do a few night ones.

I've done 11 today 😱

They said every 2 hours and try to do a few night ones.

I've done 11 today 😱

Don't drink any liquids, you'll leak!!!

Sorry bad joke

I knew it was more testing but didn't know it was every 2 hours but thank you for telling me

Don't drink any liquids, you'll leak!!!

Sorry bad joke

I knew it was more testing but didn't know it was every 2 hours but thank you for telling me

Well that was what the DSN said. They've upped my script to 150 strips per month.

I think I have to do a minimum of 4 per day, but they want at least 6 for the first few weeks.

DSN rang late yesterday afternoon. Said my overnights were ok, so don't set the alarm. Had my first full night's sleep since Sunday. :D

DSN rang late yesterday afternoon. Said my overnights were ok, so don't set the alarm. Had my first full night's sleep since Sunday. :D

Great news! 😎

DO read that link, or indeed the bit in Pumping Insulin.

It isn't HARD - honest, but inevitably summat happens during some of it, like you have a hypo from nowhere or a hyper and can't NOT correct for it.

You do always get there in the end though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back