Spot the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I was delighted to hear that a support group is forming in Edinburgh. I’ve recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and am on a low carb diet.

I was a little surprised at the venue for the first meet up. Will take along a hard boiled egg.
—————-
We're so excited to announce that the newly launched Edinburgh Diabetes Group will be having their first meet up in two weeks time!

Sunday 21 April 2024
⏰ 10am - 12.30pm
Starbucks, 53 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, EH2 4RT

This is a peer support group based in Edinburgh and East Lothian and is open to any adult living with or affected by diabetes and is run by our super friendly volunteers Norma, Alison, Daniel,Shelley and Jess (as pictured left to right).

☕ Come along for a cuppa and a catch up.

Please do give their social media channels a follow if you live in the area and to get updates about future meet ups. Or email them at edinburghdiabetesgroup@gmail.com if you're interested in learning more.

I was delighted to hear that a support group is forming in Edinburgh. I’ve recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and am on a low carb diet.

I was a little surprised at the venue for the first meet up. Will take along a hard boiled egg.
—————-
We're so excited to announce that the newly launched Edinburgh Diabetes Group will be having their first meet up in two weeks time!

Sunday 21 April 2024
⏰ 10am - 12.30pm
Starbucks, 53 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, EH2 4RT

This is a peer support group based in Edinburgh and East Lothian and is open to any adult living with or affected by diabetes and is run by our super friendly volunteers Norma, Alison, Daniel,Shelley and Jess (as pictured left to right).

☕ Come along for a cuppa and a catch up.

Please do give their social media channels a follow if you live in the area and to get updates about future meet ups. Or email them at edinburghdiabetesgroup@gmail.com if you're interested in learning more.
Unless they've stopped it since last year, Starbucks do some egg "muffin" things (egg and ham I think) which are low carb if you're wanting a snack. It looks like a coffee meet up not lunch so a snack should be enough?

I don’t understand the problem (apart from Starbucks coffee being not very good).
I take it you're aloso not a big fan of thin burned vaguely coffee-flavoured swill?

To me, Starbucks is Carbs Central. The only low carb item on their menu is the ‘egg bite’ - otherwise everything is carbohydrate heavy.

They’re not alone in this, of course. It’s an issue in most coffee shops and many cafés.

You can always plan to eat properly afterwards rather than at the meet up though

This is a meet up not a meal.
Where would you rather meet? A grimy church hall with nothing but a circle of uncomfortable chairs and get charged for the privilege?

And, don't forget, as it states at the top of every page "Everyone manages their health differently. Please be mindful of this." Just because you manage your diabetes through a low carb diet does not mean everyone does. There is nothing in the invite which suggests it is only for people with type 2.

Last edited:
For places like that, I ensure I do not turn up hungry, so any temptation would be minimal.

The harsh reality is these places often offer space for charities to meet, without charge. Our local group (which the pandemic killed, unfortunately) met in a church hall. Very nice, warm and pleasant, with excellent parking, but £19 an hour, so we needed to take £40 east meeting just to stand still.

It is a meet up not lunch as it's a bit early for that so many would just have a coffee, less stressful for a group who don't know each other to have to be deciding on meal options and potential raised eyebrows from others. Fair enough if people then decide to go somewhere for lunch.
There is also a veggie version of the egg muffins.

To me, Starbucks is Carbs Central. The only low carb item on their menu is the ‘egg bite’ - otherwise everything is carbohydrate heavy.

They’re not alone in this, of course. It’s an issue in most coffee shops and many cafés.

But you’re meeting mid-morning? Just don’t eat. Enjoy your drink and your chat.

I take it you're aloso not a big fan of thin burned vaguely coffee-flavoured swill?

No, it’s unpleasantly acidic and made from lower quality beans. There’s something not right about the taste, but “thin, burned swill’ will do :D

Absolutely correct. I only ever have coffee or tea in the big coffee chains. If I want something to eat I go elsewhere where there is more choice. I once went with friends to Costa and they decided to have lunch there so I just waited until I got home.

I wonder how many Type 2 attendees will order a skinny oat milk latte and think they have made a good choice.

I wonder how many Type 2 attendees will order a skinny oat milk latte and think they have made a good choice.
I noticed oat milk has quite a lot of carbs. I occasionally use almond or coconut milk with no sugar but, because it has a lot of other things in it, I prefer to keep it to a minimum.

I think cappuchinos and lattes 4 or 5 times a week have been my downfall recently and may have helped push my blood sugars up a bit from normal to just on pre-diabetes.

I noticed oat milk has quite a lot of carbs. I occasionally use almond or coconut milk with no sugar but, because it has a lot of other things in it, I prefer to keep it to a minimum.

I think cappuchinos and lattes 4 or 5 times a week have been my downfall recently and may have helped push my blood sugars up a bit from normal to just on pre-diabetes.
We have a DolceGusto coffee machine at home and the flat white or cafe au Lait are less than 5g carb per cup and only use 1 pod so are the most economical. Americano, espresso are 0 carb and use 1 pod.

We have a DolceGusto coffee machine at home and the flat white or cafe au Lait are less than 5g carb per cup and only use 1 pod so are the most economical. Americano, espresso are 0 carb and use 1 pod.

I changed from Oat milk to Soya milk as it has no carbs. Do miss the creamy oat milk in my porridge though!!!

I think that the coffee place we took shelter in during a rainstorm must have been a Starbucks - the description of the fluid sold as coffee is accurate.
I used to work for Lyons Tetley doing taste testing and my fellow musicians said that my expression on taking a sip of the luke warm - whatever it was - memorable.
These days I only drink coffee at home, filter coffee made with the golden brick packaged grounds from Lidl and cream in glass bottles from the milkman.

I think that the coffee place we took shelter in during a rainstorm must have been a Starbucks - the description of the fluid sold as coffee is accurate.
I used to work for Lyons Tetley doing taste testing and my fellow musicians said that my expression on taking a sip of the luke warm - whatever it was - memorable.
These days I only drink coffee at home, filter coffee made with the golden brick packaged grounds from Lidl and cream in glass bottles from the milkman.

Taste tasting for Tetley, tea produced by Tetley has to worst around, resembles liquid waste product passed from our body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back