Sore throat help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

janw

Much Missed Member.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What is the best way to treat a sore throat - T2 and not on any meds nor insulin. Currently sipping on chamomile & honey tea (Twining's) with a little added honey. Ate at lunch time, but this has come on since, so have only had a low-cal jelly and a tiny bit of ice-cream. One sore throat stuff we have contains sugar and glucose, so I am not going to take that, but is lem-sip (probably Asda's own make) any good to take?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I find the Difflam Sore Throat rinse good. It’s not cheap but it eases the pain. Apart from that, sugar-free sweets, cold fizzy water or Diet Coke is soothing.

Whisky and hot water can also help too.

Paracetamol and drinking plenty is what I have been doing. vapour rub too for the stuffiness as well 🙂

you can do a salt gargle too but ewwww....pass on that one :D

Thank you @Inka and @gll
I have a can of Pepsi cherry max so I can pop that in the fridge in a while, got some weak squash chilling at the moment. Only whiskey I have is a miniature bottle used for cooking, not sure what's left of that, but I can check. No for the gargle - yuk - that's only for if I get totally desperate lol. Have plenty of paracetamol and have vapour rub, so will put those to use too.
I will have to look out for the Difflam, thanks

It always used to be gargle with TCP. I remember something called tyrozets which sort of numbed your throat but they no longer seem to be available. Strepsils are normally pretty good.

@janw sorry to read that you are unwell.
Do you have a Lateral Flow Test?
I think it would be a good idea to discount covid as the cause of your sore throat. I am sure you don’t want to pass it on to others.
Hopefully, it is not and you get better soon.

I have had a terrible dry sore throat at night for couple of weeks. In the end i took blackcurrant triple action Strepsils at 3g carbs. The carbs will hurt me less than the sore throat and sleepless nights. Much better after i had taken them. I will add i had 6 neg lateral flow tests in this time so think just virus.

@janw sorry to read that you are unwell.
Do you have a Lateral Flow Test?
I think it would be a good idea to discount covid as the cause of your sore throat. I am sure you don’t want to pass it on to others.
Hopefully, it is not and you get better soon.
No, we are having trouble getting any, just signs saying they have none. I'll try and check again tomorrow or see if anyone local has one I can use,

It always used to be gargle with TCP. I remember something called tyrozets which sort of numbed your throat but they no longer seem to be available. Strepsils are normally pretty good.
Yes I thought of TCP but we haven't used that in years.

I thought Pete had had a box of them in todays' post when I got it out of the porch - turned out it was a similar type of box with the wherewithal to do his Pooh test for bowel cancer screening!

Gargling with salt really does work but I understand the reluctance:D The only other thing that worked for me when I had a throat that felt like I'd been gargling broken glass, was soluble/effervescent paracetamol. Dissolve in warm water and gargle with each mouthful throughly before swallowing. Doesn't taste too bad and gave me much needed relief (obviously don't take other paracetamol tablers/lemsip etc). Tesco usually have it in stock.

I find the Difflam Sore Throat rinse good. It’s not cheap but it eases the pain. Apart from that, sugar-free sweets, cold fizzy water or Diet Coke is soothing.

Whisky and hot water can also help too.
Whisky is the best cold/sore throat medicine but needs to be taken neat.
If taken with hot water I'd recommend whiskey

No, we are having trouble getting any, just signs saying they have none. I'll try and check again tomorrow or see if anyone local has one I can use,
Sorry to read that. I hope you are isolating as much as possible in the meantime.
Once you have a box of tests in, I highly recommend keeping some in case. My GP and hospital are, understandably, requesting we do a Lateral Flow Test before any appointment.

Sorry, didn't mean to send the discussion off at a tangent - I hope you feel better soon.

I just did that, so they will be sent direct to me, it says 3 days or longer, so we will have to see. Thank you
They were arriving next day weeks ago but then a shortage and now things taking 2 days normally 3 at most. I have some in should i need in future as you get sent 7 tests.

If you have a sore throat, my suggestion would be to go for a PCR test, rather than the LFT.

I have been in conversations with 2 doctors in the last 10 days, each, independently, and without any quizzing offered up the view (and I'm paraphrasing, obviously) that once a person has had more than a single dose of the vaccine, LFTs aren't worth the plastic they're made of. There are far too many false negatives.

I have a large box in my office, but if I had any symptoms I'd go straight to PCR.

Agree with LFT suggestions, suggest strawberry sugar free strepsils. They work and are zero sugar.

Agree with LFT suggestions, suggest strawberry sugar free strepsils. They work and are zero sugar.
Thank you. I was sure I had heard about sugar-free strepsils, so I will need to get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back