Sore fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many who are Type 2 unless on medication that could cause low blood glucose like gliclazide are not prescribed them so have to self fund so do look for monitors which have the cheaper test strips, lancets are pretty cheap so less of an issue.
I am a rebel when it comes to using the lancet as I just hold in my fingers as most of the devices are far too fiddly. It comes from when I was at work when we used single use lancets for safety reasons with multiple users who would get blood everywhere and often failed to set the device correctly and wasted the lancets or pressed the wrong button so the ejected the lancet into their finger.
The amount of blood needed was 40x that needed for a finger prick test as we were extracting DNA so needed a big sample.

Alan S’s blog post may also be worth a browse?

And I’m another who prefers accu-chek devices. i’ve had a sequence of them, and only move my lancets on when they get a bit ouchy (I usually hardly feel them). I bought a box of drums that I suspect will see me out even if I get a telegram from the queen!

I feel CGM manufacturers perpetuate the myth that finger pricking is painful. I definitely see more posts about sore fingers since Libre became popular. As other have said, it does not need to be painful if you prick just far enough to get a pin prick of blood.
Some complain about not being able to get blood out of their fingers. As someone with Reynauds, I understand how challenging it can be if your hand are cold. But washing them in warm water or cuddling a mug of hot tea will bring the blood closer to the surface and make it easier to get that pin prick of blood.

Edited to add: If you are looking for a CGM just to reduce the number of finger pricks, you are missing the major point of a CGM which is to get data between finger pricks. It's like getting a smart phone and only using it to make phone calls.

Last edited:
Yes, hot water and also shaking your hands down and out. That was a tip I was told at diagnosis when the fingerprickers really were painful - anyone remember ‘the guillotine’ 😱

IMG_20230601_140612.jpg

I can’t Like your post @SimonP because I need the ‘screaming in horror’ emoticon! 😱 😱 It was a hideous thing and I hated doing tests more than I hated the actual injections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back