Sore fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

london5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Morning
I assume most will have reached this place at some point. My type 1 is only recently diagnosed, a few months, and am doing CEDRIC course 12 April so should get a CGM then. For now my poor fingers are so sore and I take really good care of my hands and always have. Just emailed my spec nurses to say I just can't bear another finger prick. How people bore a lifetime of this I just don't know.
Does anyone know of anything that helps?

Thanks

You shouldn’t have to do a course to get a CGM @london5 On the other hand, your fingers shouldn’t be hurting so much. Remember that many of us finger-pricked for decades prior to CGMs.

The trick is:

- get the right fingerpricker (some are better than others)
- set your pricker to the right depth
- hold it against the finger, don’t press it hard against it
- use the sides of your fingers not the middle of the fingerpad
- change your lancet each time
- make sure your hands are warm before pricking
- ‘milk’ the drop of blood out and do not squeeze your finger hard.

i suffered the same until i got my Libre 2, it got so bad i had tiny bruises which really hurt, even now when i have to check as Libre isn't always reliable its hurts, i think i must have sensitive skin, not sure if it will help you but i was advised to use the side of my finger didnt really help much but its worth a try

i suffered the same until i got my Libre 2, it got so bad i had tiny bruises which really hurt, even now when i have to check as Libre isn't always reliable its hurts, i think i must have sensitive skin, not sure if it will help you but i was advised to use the side of my finger didnt really help much but its worth a try
People try to prick too deep as they think they need a gallon of blood whereas you only need a drop the size of a pin head, pricking in the right place also helps. I find by putting my thumb onto the pad and then pricking just to the side of that, then you can apply gentle pressure with the thumb. Stroking your finger towards the tip before pricking and making sure your hands are warm also helps.

People try to prick too deep as they think they need a gallon of blood whereas you only need a drop the size of a pin head, pricking in the right place also helps. I find by putting my thumb onto the pad and then pricking just to the side of that, then you can apply gentle pressure with the thumb. Stroking your finger towards the tip before pricking and making sure your hands are warm also helps.
thank you i will try that in future

Thank you all
Most of things I feel I'm doing
But some good tips.
What's a good finger pricker? I've only had the one that came with the glucometer(s) or in the boxes of lancets and the ones in the boxes do seem below par.
Is there a recommendation and if there is how would I get it?

I do use the sides but it's possible I squeezed too hard or hands are cold, not enough hydration. Must try harder! Roll on CGM I say.

Try a pharmacy or Google. If you can’t find it, there’s also the AccuChek Fastclix, which I note Boots has:

I got mine on the NHS along with my meter.

Ah I can see it on Amazon etc but it won't take universal lancets which is an issue. Doubt NHS would be too keen.

They paid for mine. You could also try the AccuChek website. Sometimes they’ll send out a free meter and/or pricker to Type 1s because they mainly make the money on the lancets, which the NHS will prescribe for Type 1s.

Oh ok. I'll ask about it. Better than not checking and at the moment that's how I feel.
Thanks

They paid for mine. You could also try the AccuChek website. Sometimes they’ll send out a free meter and/or pricker to Type 1s because they mainly make the money on the lancets, which the NHS will prescribe for Type 1s.
Oh OK
Thank you. Yes I guess it always going to be the consumables that cost.
I'll ask.

Oh ok. I'll ask about it. Better than not checking and at the moment that's how I feel.
Thanks

Good luck. You should be able to get something more suitable. It sounds a trivial thing but the right pricker can make a huge difference.

Ah I can see it on Amazon etc but it won't take universal lancets which is an issue. Doubt NHS would be too keen.
I think I get lancet drums for it. (The FastClix, that is, which replaced the SoftClix years ago.) While they're supposed to be used once (so each drum gives you 6 tests) it's not unknown for people to reuse lancets (by not moving the counter on after using it).

I think I get lancet drums for it. (The FastClix, that is, which replaced the SoftClix years ago.) While they're supposed to be used once (so each drum gives you 6 tests) it's not unknown for people to reuse lancets (by not moving the counter on after using it).
Thanks will definitely ask about.

I thought everyone got the monitors free ? I was given mine when i was diagnosed with T2 last your they gave me
AGA MATRIX WAVE SENSE JAZZ and my GP has supplied the lancets etc ever sine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back