Something on i notticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
It appears to be my me my body needs exact amounts per radtio for food. Anymore im raiising any more im falling but this somthing i cant do with pens. Its a bit frustrating.

You could ask your diabetes team about an insulin pump, an insulin pump would allow you to have your bolus (mealtime) dose to 0.1 units and would allow your basal (background insulin) to be even less than that. The NICE criteria for insulin pumps on the NHS is quite hard to meet.

You could ask your diabetes team about an insulin pump, an insulin pump would allow you to have your bolus (mealtime) dose to 0.1 units and would allow your basal (background insulin) to be even less than that. The NICE criteria for insulin pumps on the NHS is quite hard to meet.
Yeah pumps would also make to eauser for my flexable work as well. But dont think i might the cerertia.

I doubt @rayray would qualify for a pump due to his recent diagnoses and lack of knowledge regarding his diabetes which hopefully can be rectified when and if things ever get back to normal and he is given some one to one education.

Yeah pumps would also make to eauser for my flexable work as well. But dont think i might the cerertia.
Pumps are a lot of work and you have to have a bit more than very basic knowledge of what you are doing as pumps are unfortunately not plug and play and only do what you tell them.

I doubt @rayray would qualify for a pump due to his recent diagnoses and lack of knowledge regarding his diabetes which hopefully can be rectified when and if things ever get back to normal and he is given some one to one education.
I just think it may be worth asking so if unable to get on with MDI then the DSN may know if a pump would be an option? I have no clue about the whole education thing as I was told everything the day after I was diagnosed (stayed in hospital one night - not DKA) and just went with it so I can’t help there

Howver if they fail as much as my libre sensors do they may have
Pumps are a lot of work and you have to have a bit more than very basic knowledge of what you are doing as pumps are unfortunately not plug and play and only do what you tell them.
I actully do have quite a bit of knowalege on it now. I no longer have lack of knowledge at my last face to face appoiment they actullty said i know more then give myslef cerdit for.

Ps im female

Not sure what gives you the impresion i have very basic knowalege? Maybe i miss comicated posts on here? Or is just because i was only dianosed 4 months agi in which ive leant allot i just get hand on myslef.

Not sure what gives you the impresion i have very basic knowalege? Maybe i miss comicated posts on here? Or is just because i was only dianosed 4 months agi in which ive leant allot i just get hand on myslef.
If my posts sujest sorry im dypraxic so things can get lost in commadacation sometimes

Howver if they fail as much as my libre sensors do they may have

I actully do have quite a bit of knowalege on it now. I no longer have lack of knowledge at my last face to face appoiment they actullty said i know more then give myslef cerdit for.

Ps im female
Sometimes it is difficult to know if people are male or female, you just trust to luck that you don't make an inappropriate comment.

Sometimes it is difficult to know if people are male or female, you just trust to luck that you don't make an inappropriate comment.
Thats why i dont would sau they rather she or him 🙂

I love my pump but am incredibly glad of the years I spent injecting. Not only learning what my body’s needs are but becoming second nature to inject so that I can quickly revert to injection when my pump has failed. This has not happened often but it is stressful when the thing you rely upon to keep you alive stops working.
Since having the pump, I have had to learn much more about managing diabetes. I have had to learn my basal needs every 30 minutes of the day and when to change them. I have had to learn when i would benefit from temporarily more or less basal than normal and how much to adjust it by. I have had to learn about extended boluses and combo boluses, which foods to use them for, what proportion of the bolus to extend and for how long. I have had to be much more aware of ketones as these are more likely with a pump. I have to count carbs more accurately because I have no spare basal on board. Tweaks to my pump work quicker than injecting. Often, I need to make decision quickly. I cannot ask a question on the forum and wait for feedback.
These things are not instead of but in addition to everything else I learnt with injecting. And I have had to remain familiar with the injecting.

Your threads show how much you have learnt about diabetes in 4 months. You have more than a basic understanding. But please don’t under estimate how much there is to learn. This month, I will celebrate (yes, celebrate) my 18th diaversary and I am still learning.

In most areas, a DAFNE type course is a prerequisite for a pump. I recommend you push for this. I attended my DAFNE course 12 years after diagnosis and learnt quite a bit.

I love my pump but am incredibly glad of the years I spent injecting. Not only learning what my body’s needs are but becoming second nature to inject so that I can quickly revert to injection when my pump has failed. This has not happened often but it is stressful when the thing you rely upon to keep you alive stops working.
Since having the pump, I have had to learn much more about managing diabetes. I have had to learn my basal needs every 30 minutes of the day and when to change them. I have had to learn when i would benefit from temporarily more or less basal than normal and how much to adjust it by. I have had to learn about extended boluses and combo boluses, which foods to use them for, what proportion of the bolus to extend and for how long. I have had to be much more aware of ketones as these are more likely with a pump. I have to count carbs more accurately because I have no spare basal on board. Tweaks to my pump work quicker than injecting. Often, I need to make decision quickly. I cannot ask a question on the forum and wait for feedback.
These things are not instead of but in addition to everything else I learnt with injecting. And I have had to remain familiar with the injecting.

Your threads show how much you have learnt about diabetes in 4 months. You have more than a basic understanding. But please don’t under estimate how much there is to learn. This month, I will celebrate (yes, celebrate) my 18th diaversary and I am still learning.

In most areas, a DAFNE type course is a prerequisite for a pump. I recommend you push for this. I attended my DAFNE course 12 years after diagnosis and learnt quite a bit.
Im going to ask about dafne in my next apoiment i know theres always more to learn i was just a bir confussed about the lack of knowledge comment but maybs i just miss understoond. The people ive met all have pump and mettioned its not usally long until. People im over groups im om said they went on it soom after dianosised(sorry in any of this sounds like im aurging im not). Im.also aware that might have injecg. Also i know pumps like onipod can be replaced when they fail and i know people still need to. Injections sometimes. Other people in my area said its not long until people are other one

It also my surisoe you but i have actultty come second neture to it.

Definitely ask about a pump if you think it might help you. My daughter went on one 8 days after diagnosis so we definitely didn’t know anything about them, or much about diabetes, didn’t get the chance to run it just with saline in to practice, never did a DAFNE course (they don’t do them for children or their parents) and the only carb counting training we were given was half an hour with a dietician and a free copy of the Carbs and Cals book. Talk about being chucked in the deep end and see if you can swim! But we managed so I don’t see why other people can’t either.

To give you the full picture though, there was a trial just starting comparing pumps with MDI in newly diagnosed children and they desperately wanted participants (actually I think my daughter was the first one they signed up at that hospital), we were in and out of hospital a lot for the first few weeks due to being so newly diagnosed, and could contact the DSNs fairly easily in the meantime so we did get plenty of support. If we hadn’t been able to get used to the pump and understand it well enough then they wouldn’t have let us keep it!

Definitely ask about a pump if you think it might help you. My daughter went on one 8 days after diagnosis so we definitely didn’t know anything about them, or much about diabetes, didn’t get the chance to run it just with saline in to practice, never did a DAFNE course (they don’t do them for children or their parents) and the only carb counting training we were given was half an hour with a dietician and a free copy of the Carbs and Cals book. Talk about being chucked in the deep end and see if you can swim! But we managed so I don’t see why other people can’t either.

To give you the full picture though, there was a trial just starting comparing pumps with MDI in newly diagnosed children and they desperately wanted participants (actually I think my daughter was the first one they signed up at that hospital), we were in and out of hospital a lot for the first few weeks due to being so newly diagnosed, and could contact the DSNs fairly easily in the meantime so we did get plenty of support. If we hadn’t been able to get used to the pump and understand it well enough then they wouldn’t have let us keep it!
i work and as and when job so wondering if it might make things eaiser in that recepect condisider they ouldn't have be times go off and enject and can set a temp. basel for the time i'm being more active(my job means being on my feet a lot) and then stop it after i'm been more active.

Go for it, you definitely won’t get one if you don’t ask! Good luck 🙂

Certainly worth asking the question, and explaining how difficult you are finding things with the limitations of pen doses.

Do you have a half unit pen? Like a junior echo (that can also tell you when you last dosed).

To give you the full picture though, there was a trial just starting comparing pumps w
whats saline?

Certainly worth asking the question, and explaining how difficult you are finding things with the limitations of pen doses.

Do you have a half unit pen? Like a junior echo (that can also tell you when you last dosed).
i do have a half unit pen its when its betwenn the halfs. however i also think my insullins needs are staing to up a little bit i may be aliitle bit wrong in that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back