Some advice needed for mumsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the 3-4 weeks 'ish' is a deliberately conservative estimate since every single human body in the world will react a bit differently - we are all definitely different! Also where usual logic seems to indicate to most people that when something is higher than is wanted, so when you're cooking dinner and something is boiling instead of simmering, you turn the heat under the saucepan down, obviously - so why on earth don't you just start off on a high dose of insulin and then reduce it? The reason why is a very good one - if you do that there's a great danger that both fine nerves here there and everywhere in the body and the eyesight, which is very quickly noticeable to the person and affects them quite a lot, can easily be adversely affected and THAT then takes time to recover again. Hence instead of doing that it has been recognised by the medical profession for a long while now that it's far better to start off with small doses and gradually adjust them one way or the other until the right balance is achieved.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to all things diabetes - and that goes for the nearest and dearest of the patient as well as him/her!
Thanks. Why do I feel I have just been told off though?

I wasn't suggesting she be pumped to the armpits with insulin. Merely, wether this is a normal dose.

Secondly, I only wanted to know if the brain fog and confusion is normal after a diagnosis and how long she can expect to feel like this before it maybe eases.

I will pass on to her to be more patient, and stop whining about having no energy.

Thanks

Thanks. Why do I feel I have just been told off though?
Probably just the way you read things being different to the way the person writing them intended, since you can’t hear their tone of voice in a typed message. Pretty normal online.

Probably just the way you read things being different to the way the person writing them intended, since you can’t hear their tone of voice in a typed message. Pretty normal online.
Possibly, just strange that I have heard empathy and compassion from others replies......this one just seemed devoid.

ooooh! Sorry Dazz, no way did I mean to sound critical, merely trying to explain why these things take time so we all have to be patient. Just a Rome wasn't built in a day, thingy is all I intended and also intended to explain why a low dose of insulin to begin with is far better long term than doing otherwise. Must admit - I'd have certainly wondered why had I not known hence my comment 'usual' logic. Perhaps I'm no longer usual .... 😱

ooooh! Sorry Dazz, no way did I mean to sound critical, merely trying to explain why these things take time so we all have to be patient. Just a Rome wasn't built in a day, thingy is all I intended and also intended to explain why a low dose of insulin to begin with is far better long term than doing otherwise. Must admit - I'd have certainly wondered why had I not known hence my comment 'usual' logic. Perhaps I'm no longer usual .... 😱
It's OK. Sorry, I was a bit sharp.

It's been very hard see her go through this at the mo. Just before she got diagnosed she was really ill with a virus and before that she was told her cancer was on the march again.

My sister is going away for a couple of weeks and mum was saying goodbye because she thought she wouldn't be about when dhe came back.

I was just trying to give her some kind of relief if anybody could tell her what to expect.

Sorry again

Gosh, that is a rather emotional situation to be in for all of you. (((HUGS)))

The current insulin dose is very low and there is plenty of scope for increasing it significantly if need be, but as explained, that needs to be done slowly and steadily because too much insulin can be worse than not enough and if she is getting readings in single figures that is pretty good at this stage.... maybe even a little too good.
Unfortunately as regards the brain fog, it is quite individual and part of the problem with a diabetes diagnosis is that it is overwhelming, even without the emotions and fatigue caused by high BG levels and add onto that a UTI and there are too many variables to predict. Your Mam clearly has a lot on her plate health wise and that in itself will take a toll on her ability to process things as well as she might ordinarily do. Stress can pickle your brain more than high BG levels. I know because when I am bad with stress, I struggle to string words together to make coherent sentences. When the stress is relieved I return to my previous ability to communicate and understand and do things, so it isn't just a one way street if that is what she is worrying about, but this will have come as a bombshell and it will take time to process it as well as time to learn to manage it.
I am so pleased your Dad was able to get clearer instruction from the hospital about the medication and you are right to ignore the GPs suggestion of 4 Metformin a day.... that is the max dose that you build up to slowly over a period of weeks, not a starting dose. Hope your Mam gets a visit from the Diabetes nurse soon and she and your Dad start to feel a bit more confident of managing it. I very much hope your Mam starts to feel better in herself soon. Do keep us updated with progress and the result of the nurses visit and feel free to ask if there is anything else you don't understand. Unfortunately some questions don't have definitive answers, because human bodies are all different and we can only speak from our own experience. I had suffered brain fog from long before my diagnosis, but I am far fitter and healthier and sharper now that my diabetes is well managed. In fact I feel that my diagnosis has probably extended my life and improved the quality of it if the truth be known, much as diabetes is a pain in the backside sometimes.

Gosh, that is a rather emotional situation to be in for all of you. (((HUGS)))

The current insulin dose is very low and there is plenty of scope for increasing it significantly if need be, but as explained, that needs to be done slowly and steadily because too much insulin can be worse than not enough and if she is getting readings in single figures that is pretty good at this stage.... maybe even a little too good.
Unfortunately as regards the brain fog, it is quite individual and part of the problem with a diabetes diagnosis is that it is overwhelming, even without the emotions and fatigue caused by high BG levels and add onto that a UTI and there are too many variables to predict. Your Mam clearly has a lot on her plate health wise and that in itself will take a toll on her ability to process things as well as she might ordinarily do. Stress can pickle your brain more than high BG levels. I know because when I am bad with stress, I struggle to string words together to make coherent sentences. When the stress is relieved I return to my previous ability to communicate and understand and do things, so it isn't just a one way street if that is what she is worrying about, but this will have come as a bombshell and it will take time to process it as well as time to learn to manage it.
I am so pleased your Dad was able to get clearer instruction from the hospital about the medication and you are right to ignore the GPs suggestion of 4 Metformin a day.... that is the max dose that you build up to slowly over a period of weeks, not a starting dose. Hope your Mam gets a visit from the Diabetes nurse soon and she and your Dad start to feel a bit more confident of managing it. I very much hope your Mam starts to feel better in herself soon. Do keep us updated with progress and the result of the nurses visit and feel free to ask if there is anything else you don't understand. Unfortunately some questions don't have definitive answers, because human bodies are all different and we can only speak from our own experience. I had suffered brain fog from long before my diagnosis, but I am far fitter and healthier and sharper now that my diabetes is well managed. In fact I feel that my diagnosis has probably extended my life and improved the quality of it if the truth be known, much as diabetes is a pain in the backside sometimes.
Thanks so much for this lovely reply!

Mum is over today visiting and I just read out your reply. I can't thank you all enough, despite me being a bit cranky...(Sorry trophywench!!)

I think stress and anxiety is playing a huge part. Hopefully she will become less anxious over time.

I will keep you all posted xx

Although I've had diabetes for ages, I have to say that I've really appreciated at any number of times since marrying him when I was 50 getting my second (consecutive :D) husband to accompany me into appointments with doctors cos 1. he will regularly remember what was actually said and 2. ask questions himself which may be things I've told him previously I'm concerned about but have omitted to mention or indeed different things he's thought of along the way. This fell apart more than a bit during Covid but that aspect is at least getting better even if we do have to wear a mask.

An update.

Hello lovely people, hope you are all well.

Mum finally got a visit from the diabetes nurse. She has been finding her energy levels are still fairly low, especially in the mornings. The nurse advised that her insulin level should maybe taken down to 5 from 6. The thinking being, the insulin is too high overnight and lowering her blood sugar too much in the mornings, hence the tiredness.

The other option we are looking at concerns the Metformin. Somebody else we know was diagnosed at around the same and put on Metformin. He felt pretty rough on it as well, changed meds and now feels a lot better. Does, anybody else have any experience of this??

Many thanks guys

Metformin is a bit of an odd one. I've been on it for most of the last 13 years with no issues at all. Others report violent reactions immediately on starting the smallest dose. But they're generally of the gastric variety. It probably wouldn't hurt to stop it for a couple of days & see if that helps, but discuss it with the DN first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back