Social Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in a fairly small village, but it has 3 walking groups - a couple of which are very sociable, and usually drop into a pub, or cafe for a coffee on their way around.

They don’t go far afield, and welcome anyone who turns up on the day.

I think you might be astonished by how many men (and women) there are feeling just like you. In our local walking groups there are several men of your age who are on their own, for whatever reason. They tend to walk together, having formed their own little tribe.

If you have a local magazine popped through the door, it’s worthwhile looking out for groups, or events that are running.

I have found one here called coffee shop strollers !

Thank you

Have had a very bad few weeks with depression ending up in the emergency psychiatric unit

I have realised that my diabetes came from eating unhealthy comfort food and that came from living with anxiety and depression for most of my adult life

I havnt had the social aspect of work and a decent relationship or kids so I now find myself incredibly lonely and isolated

I am sick of being on my own but I don't want to come over as desperate?

Does anybody else get these feelings and has anything helped ?

Thanks guys x
Just another thought. Not sure how you would feel about it but what about the Alzheimer's Society or Dementia groups. I know you are no longer a carer but there may be people there who are or have gone through the same as you. Also Age UK. Again though the latter will be mostly older people.

Just another thought. Not sure how you would feel about it but what about the Alzheimer's Society or Dementia groups. I know you are no longer a carer but there may be people there who are or have gone through the same as you. Also Age UK. Again though the latter will be mostly older people.

I have felt very lost since the end of caring

Thank you

Do you have any hobbies or go to any activity / interest groups where you can meet people and have some interaction? Or could you look for some if not? Even if you don’t have specific hobbies already you could take something up.

Thank you x

Local groups are a great idea. There are all sorts of things near me, like volunteers that do litter picking in various places, walking groups, lunch clubs, community centre things.

Of course it can take a bit of an effort to actually engage with any of these opportunities. And one of the toughest things about low mood / anxiety is how pervasively it exhausts you, and denies you the ‘oomph’ to get out there.

But sometimes deciding go out even when you don’t ‘feel like it’, lack energy, and just want to withdraw into yourself, can gradually begin to erode away that heaviness. And you have a great time, despite not wanting to do it when you set off!

We are rooting for you @Taffyboyslim

Be kind to yourself, and take it one small step at a time. 🙂

I have found a chatty cafe about 6 miles away

We live in a fairly small village, but it has 3 walking groups - a couple of which are very sociable, and usually drop into a pub, or cafe for a coffee on their way around.

They don’t go far afield, and welcome anyone who turns up on the day.

I think you might be astonished by how many men (and women) there are feeling just like you. In our local walking groups there are several men of your age who are on their own, for whatever reason. They tend to walk together, having formed their own little tribe.

If you have a local magazine popped through the door, it’s worthwhile looking out for groups, or events that are running.

Coffee shop strollers are one nearby

Hope you find some opportunities that suit you, and start to make you feel able to get out and about again @Taffyboyslim

Brilliant that you’ve found some things to try already 🙂

Coffee shop strollers are one nearby
Sounds ideal.

I do hope you find a small tribe you can identify with. I know when my Dad passed away, my Mum found the chasms left in her days and weeks to be very difficult, so what you are feeling is, unfortunately, all very natural.

One of the things Mum got into after Dad was our local Historical Society which wasn’t too high brow, but more recent history, around local industry and people. Here we have a “Past and Present” group doing similar stuff, and raising money for local good causes.

Good luck with your strollers.

Sounds ideal.

I do hope you find a small tribe you can identify with. I know when my Dad passed away, my Mum found the chasms left in her days and weeks to be very difficult, so what you are feeling is, unfortunately, all very natural.

One of the things Mum got into after Dad was our local Historical Society which wasn’t too high brow, but more recent history, around local industry and people. Here we have a “Past and Present” group doing similar stuff, and raising money for local good causes.

Good luck with your strollers.

Yes , finding my tribe is very important now

Thank you

Here in Wales social services are fantastic
It just dawned on me. I’m not sure which trade you were in. But where I worked (small company.) one of the guys retired. We wished him well. But then he’d come back on a part time basis? Maybe a day midweek or for a half day on Friday? His wife was in poor health, but it was great to have him back on these days imparting his knowledge & wisdom. Along with the wry banter.

It is often making that first step in joining in with something as then there might be others who are in the same boat and will say they go to something else and offer to take you along.

It just dawned on me. I’m not sure which trade you were in. But where I worked (small company.) one of the guys retired. We wished him well. But then he’d come back on a part time basis? Maybe a day midweek or for a half day on Friday? His wife was in poor health, but it was great to have him back on these days imparting his knowledge & wisdom. Along with the wry banter.

I was a decorator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back