Smarties cereal, peanut butter in hot chocolate and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas DUK

Supporter Care Advisor
My meal plan's looking a little repetitive. I need some inspiration! Does anyone have any odd combinations they swear by in the kitchen?

Here's one for you! Next time you treat yourself to hot chocolate, try adding a generous dollop of good quality peanut butter to the milk as you heat it up. Honestly, it will change your life. It's certainly one to be enjoyed on occasion as part of a healthy balanced diet though :rofl:

1681298235616.pngd

Pass on smarties cereal, like peanut butter & sometimes add it to porridge whilst cooking, preference is crunchy peanut butter over smooth.

My meal plan's looking a little repetitive. I need some inspiration! Does anyone have any odd combinations they swear by in the kitchen?

Here's one for you! Next time you treat yourself to hot chocolate, try adding a generous dollop of good quality peanut butter to the milk as you heat it up. Honestly, it will change your life. It's certainly one to be enjoyed on occasion as part of a healthy balanced diet though :rofl:

View attachment 25310d
Hot chocolate is usually loaded with sugar. Check the pack.

Pass on smarties cereal, like peanut butter & sometimes add it to porridge whilst cooking, preference is crunchy peanut butter over smooth.

Yes crunchy peanut butter all the way! Thank you @nonethewiser for the tip about the porridge.

Absolutely @DaveB, and I'm sorry for being a little thoughtless with the way I opened this thread. Maybe substituting the milk for water would be a good way to reduce the calorie intake a little with these sorts of drinks.

Not I'm my current plans, but as a kid I loved Marmite & marmalade on toast. And as if that wasn't odd enough I would have banana with a spread of Marmite alon the entire length.

Don't knock it until you've tried it

Not I'm my current plans, but as a kid I loved Marmite & marmalade on toast. And as if that wasn't odd enough I would have banana with a spread of Marmite alon the entire length.

I noticed that they have started selling peanut butter and marmite mix, I thought why buy it as you can just spread the two onto your toast/cracker or banana if you want.
My favourite Lancashire cheese and strawberry jam.

Hey @Thomas DUK no need to apologise for suggesting hot chocolate (although I am not sure about making it with water instead of milk). Not all of us on this forum are looking to reduce their weight or carbs (or sugar).
I enjoy good hot chocolate (made with dark chocolate melted into a mug of boiled milk). Not every day but on a cold day instead of cake or biscuits - that's not because of the carbs, fat, sugar, ... but because it fills me up too much.

For something unusual to eat, I enjoy a cheese toastie made with feta, halloumi, dried apricots and a bunch of fresh mint and dill. Maybe this isn't that odd because it is a Jamie Oliver recipe but I was surprised when I read it. It definitely works. Especially if the toastie is made with sourdough.

And seasonally, is hot cross bun and cheddar weird enough?

Probably not - some people swear by rich fruit cake with a piece of cheese. I enjoy any of the three alone, but just not together. Girl at work liked sausage and marmalade sandwiches. Hey ho - each to their own!

Peanut butter & marmite great combination, love marmite & often have it with cheese on toast.

Hot chocolate is usually loaded with sugar.
Maybe substituting the milk for water would be a good way to reduce the calorie intake a little with these sorts of drinks.

Not sure that substituting milk with water would aid the sugar content of most hot chocolate drinks very much though?

I noticed that they have started selling peanut butter and marmite mix, I thought why buy it as you can just spread the two onto your toast/cracker or banana if you want.
My favourite Lancashire cheese and strawberry jam.
My thoughts exactly on the Marmite peanut butter. I was already "mixing" the two but by doing it myself, I can choose the quality and style of the peanut butter. Goes very well with cheese in a sandwich!

Marmite and peanut butter on toast yes but then add a generous dollop of mayonnaise and spread... a combination passed onto me nearly 40 years ago by a college friend's flatmate...not to be eaten often...but the combination of flavours and textures is a winner with me.

My dad puts black pepper in Marmite sandwiches and Worcester sauce on sausage rolls… he reckons they are delicious but I think I’ll pass! Can’t stand Marmite anyway

Not convinced about marmite and peanut butter but marmite and cheese on toast seems like a great idea for this mornings brekkie :D

*EDIT* MMM that was lovely :D

Last edited:
Not convinced about marmite and peanut butter but marmite and cheese on toast seems like a great idea for this mornings brekkie :D

*EDIT* MMM that was lovely :D

Little tip, sprinkle some vinegar & black pepper on cheese before toasting, it tastes devine.

Have any marmite lovers tried marmite and scrambled egg on toast? I thin scraping of marmite on the toast before heaping it with creamy (i.e. not over cooked) scrambled egg used to be a favourite of mine until I moved in with a marmite detester.

Last edited:
Hey @Thomas DUK no need to apologise for suggesting hot chocolate (although I am not sure about making it with water instead of milk). Not all of us on this forum are looking to reduce their weight or carbs (or sugar).
I enjoy good hot chocolate (made with dark chocolate melted into a mug of boiled milk). Not every day but on a cold day instead of cake or biscuits - that's not because of the carbs, fat, sugar, ... but because it fills me up too much.

For something unusual to eat, I enjoy a cheese toastie made with feta, halloumi, dried apricots and a bunch of fresh mint and dill. Maybe this isn't that odd because it is a Jamie Oliver recipe but I was surprised when I read it. It definitely works. Especially if the toastie is made with sourdough.

And seasonally, is hot cross bun and cheddar weird enough?
Not sure that substituting milk with water would aid the sugar content of most hot chocolate drinks very much though?
You'd be surprised how much sugar is in milk! Especially if you drink whole milk, subsituting your milk for water will reduce the number of calories in their by a lot!

You'd be surprised how much sugar is in milk!
I really wouldn't it's 4.7g per 100ml (for full fat, the only kind worth having)
Cadbury's drinking chocolate has 76g per 100g... so.....

Have any marmite lovers tried marmite and scrambled egg on toast? I thing scraping of marmite on the toast before heaping it with creamy (i.e. not over cooked) scrambled egg used to be a favourite of mine until I moved in with a marmite detester.

Had this for Tuesday lunch, one of my fav for lunch.

Also like marmite on toast cut into soldiers for dipping into boiled eggs, think I just like marmite tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back