Skin Creams that may help improve Skin Fragility in Aging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was prescribed Hydromol which you can either rub on the affected area or add to washing water. It does have quite a greasy feel but worked well on a rash from an allergic reaction to Compore E dressing after my knee surgery.
Yes I forgot about that. I got it on prescription also and can be used in place of soap. My bottom lip burns into holes for some reason when I am abroad and is very painful. Itwas prescribed from the dental hospital for my lips. I preferred the O’keefs lip balm and they were happy for me to use that instead of hydromol . There’s another one and I forgot the name of it. Dermol I googled but there are others in the picture

Attachments

• IMG_5826.png
    IMG_5826.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The boots one is for facial anti ageing And expensive. I’ve used it for years but age is breaking through . I use a lip salve called O’keefs and they do skin repair for people with hacks on feet and hands. You have may be seen the advert on television I used to send away for Dead Sea minerals which was pleasant and good for heel repair after wearing sandals. They do body creams as well. I think O’keefs offers good protection for skin and lubricates it. Another one my favourites is Aloe Vera

Boots also do a body cream version, which is what I linked to above.

I definitely recall several properly qualified and 'known' UK dermatologists stating on a 'proper old BBC documentary' scientifically analysing no end of different face moisturiser creams and only rating ONE of them. The Boots No 7 range with the 'overnight' serum containing retinol and nowt else in it known or likely to cause ANY irritation.

I was skint at the time and didn't therefore buy any - but I have been very tempted several times since.

(Terribly dry, itching skin (all over me) and exceedingly brittle finger nails. Recently found to have increased leucosytes in blood, so got to be retested for that in a few weeks .... )
I also suffer from bouts of extremely itchy skin, especially around my ankles and lower legs, I’ve been using Betnovate steroid cream but am finding it less effective lately, have you found anything that works?

I also suffer from bouts of extremely itchy skin, especially around my ankles and lower legs, I’ve been using Betnovate steroid cream but am finding it less effective lately, have you found anything that works?
I know this post isn’t to me but betnovate is a steroid and thins the skin. It can have really bad side effects

Have you tried E45 cream or Eumavate which although I think is still a steroid cream is not as strong as betnovate so may cause less of a problem.
I found Hydromol works well.
Antihistamine may also help oral or cream.

Have you tried E45 cream or Eumavate which although I think is still a steroid cream is not as strong as betnovate so may cause less of a problem.
I found Hydromol works well.
Antihistamine may also help oral or cream.
E45 is very good and very gentle on the skin

Last edited:
E45 is gentle but I’ve found it poor for moisturising. It kind of clags up on the outside of the skin but doesn’t give lasting moisture. One of my children was prescribed it along with other similar products for eczema, but after a few weeks of lots of grease but little improvement, I bought OTC products which were a lot better.

I also suggest looking at diet and adding essential fatty acids along with enough protein.

So sorry Sarah, the steroid cream will not be helping, I think part of my prob is the long term use of corticosteroid.
Sorry your going through the same, hoping medicine learns from these things x

Sorry your going through the same, hoping medicine learns from these things x
I keep thinking we need medicines that do not cause other health issues.

I don't think Betnovate long term is a good thing. I used it for years prescribed from my doc for dermatitis on my hands, I think it treated this but I also think it has caused some damage to the dermis in the finger tips. There are other creams that can stop the itch which are none steroidal. For skin allergy issues now I use cetomacrogol cream for washing and soothing, it may be something of help to you.

Last edited:
coming from a family with skin problems psoriasis. and excema the main ingredient to help is vasaline. I like Aveeno and the stretch mark creams if i have extra money. However its nit all about ctrams a good multivitamin helps too. Also not too much dairy gists milk was always better for my sister. Now i think she avoids it. However stress is your biggest nemesis so try an avoid that at all costs . Wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back