Skin Creams that may help improve Skin Fragility in Aging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had an injury with a knitting needles recently, couldn't believe the damage, the wound is still healing. My skin is transparent and tears easily. When I saw the doctor about the wound and how fragile my skin is these days, she just said it happens with aging. Now I am thinking I should of asked if there is anything I can do to help this, so now I am attempting to find out myself options.

In my search I came across an article on how to improve my skin fragility and wondered if any one can advise on the creams mentioned in the article paragraph below. Trouble is I do have sensitive skin and I wonder I will be able to tolerate that which is mentioned.

Any advice gratefully received.

Somehow I need to improve the dermal layer of the skin, so that it is less fragile.

Any way the article I was reading is here under head Topical approach:

" Topical approach. Topical retinoids are a mainstay in reversing thin skin. Multiple studies report improvement of skin atrophy after topical tretinoin was applied to the forearms in photoaged skin of older adults.36,37 Topical retinoids have been shown to stimulate epidermal hyperplasia, possibly by inducing HB-EGF.38,39

As discussed, topical iHF might benefit fragile, atrophic skin.1 Topical application of iHF 1% on the forearms of patients with dermatoporosis for one month led to significant reduction of purpura and an improvement in atrophy.16 Echographic imaging of these patients depicted increased skin thickness, with severely dermatoporotic patients showing the most improvement. Topical iHF with retinaldehyde might demonstrate a more pronounced synergistic effect on keratinocyte proliferation versus either solution alone.40,41

Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) products might combat dermatoporosis. In one study, 42 subjects applied either 5% or 12% lactic acid twice daily for three months. At the conclusion of treatment, the group using 12% lactic acid noted increased epidermal and dermal firmness, thickness, and smoothness. Studies examining other AHAs have shown similar efficacy, improving skin atrophy from 16.3 percent to 25 percent.43,44"

from; Chronic Skin Fragility; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...s have been shown,possibly by inducing HB-EGF.

A good overall body lotion or cream with the retinol which is ok for sensitive skin for Aging fragile skin, if any one can advise?
Aging is a problem.

Can’t provide answers but at 45 going through same on my legs due to over 15 years of leg wounds and ulcers and use of steroid creams, I too have sensitive skin so feel for you x

I definitely recall several properly qualified and 'known' UK dermatologists stating on a 'proper old BBC documentary' scientifically analysing no end of different face moisturiser creams and only rating ONE of them. The Boots No 7 range with the 'overnight' serum containing retinol and nowt else in it known or likely to cause ANY irritation.

I was skint at the time and didn't therefore buy any - but I have been very tempted several times since.

(Terribly dry, itching skin (all over me) and exceedingly brittle finger nails. Recently found to have increased leucosytes in blood, so got to be retested for that in a few weeks .... )

Can’t provide answers but at 45 going through same on my legs due to over 15 years of leg wounds and ulcers and use of steroid creams, I too have sensitive skin so feel for you x
So sorry Sarah, the steroid cream will not be helping, I think part of my prob is the long term use of corticosteroid.

I definitely recall several properly qualified and 'known' UK dermatologists stating on a 'proper old BBC documentary' scientifically analysing no end of different face moisturiser creams and only rating ONE of them. The Boots No 7 range with the 'overnight' serum containing retinol and nowt else in it known or likely to cause ANY irritation.

I was skint at the time and didn't therefore buy any - but I have been very tempted several times since.

(Terribly dry, itching skin (all over me) and exceedingly brittle finger nails. Recently found to have increased leucosytes in blood, so got to be retested for that in a few weeks .... )

Hi trophy, oh the itching is another matter, for me I need an overall body lotion or cream that is economical and that works.
I do find washing in the Aqueous cream can be helpful and soothing and my doc has just prescribed an anti itch cream called Eurax, but I think that is only for localised itching. The other thing my doc prescribed is Epimax, I think you can buy quite cheaply if you don't want to go through the doc.

I hope your next retest for leucosytes will be ok or improved at least.

I was prescribed Hydromol which you can either rub on the affected area or add to washing water. It does have quite a greasy feel but worked well on a rash from an allergic reaction to Compore E dressing after my knee surgery.

Thanks for info LL

@Jodee If you have the money, this one is very good. You could maybe use it on the worst areas and a cheaper one on the rest of your body:

Dove do a nice anti-ageing one too that does make a difference @Jodee :

Also, concentrate on removing all drying influences. Shower gel and liquid soap can be really drying. I recommend a bar soap like Dove or a vegetable based soap. You’ll notice your hands feel less dry after washing, and if you use a bar soap in the shower, you’ll notice the difference too. I’ve managed to greatly improve my dry skin just by ditching the shower gel and liquid soaps.

I used to use Palmers green olive lotion but they stop doing it, I do have to be careful what I put on my skin but I am particular looking for something that will help improve the derma so it becomes more robust and less prone to injury.

Dove do a nice anti-ageing one too that does make a difference @Jodee :

Also, concentrate on removing all drying influences. Shower gel and liquid soap can be really drying. I recommend a bar soap like Dove or a vegetable based soap. You’ll notice your hands feel less dry after washing, and if you use a bar soap in the shower, you’ll notice the difference too. I’ve managed to greatly improve my dry skin just by ditching the shower gel and liquid soaps.

Yes I am now using aqueous washing cream and have invested in one called Jason Aloe Vera body wash so as to avoid further skin damage or irritation.

@Jodee If you have the money, this one is very good. You could maybe use it on the worst areas and a cheaper one on the rest of your body:

Thanks for all the links Inka 🙂

The reviews on this one sound promising 🙂 thanks again Inka

I used to use Palmers green olive lotion but they stop doing it, I do have to be careful what I put on my skin but I am particular looking for something that will help improve the derma so it becomes more robust and less prone to injury.

The Palmers one I linked to has AHAs. If you’re concerned about sensitivity, you could maybe mix a little with your aqueous cream and gradually introduce larger amounts.

Yes, the Boots No.7 one is lovely. I’d buy it all the time if I could afford it. It makes your skin look nicer and in better condition - noticeably so. Much smoother and softer too. But the Garnier and Dove ones are also very good for the money. They’re ones I’ve re-bought many times.

I hope you find something that suits you.

Thank you Inka 🙂

Yep - the very Boots one I couldn't afford - and still causes me to gulp. I only use Dove Pro Age shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and have done for nearly 20 years. Also Dove bar soap at the basin. None of it has ever actually improved anything far as I'm aware. Hair is so fine and never needed conditioning until very recently. Hairdressers hadn't used to believe me that they'd never force it into a bend if they conditioned it. Until they'd had to do it a few times, then they did. Is now as dry as the rest of me.

The boots one is for facial anti ageing And expensive. I’ve used it for years but age is breaking through . I use a lip salve called O’keefs and they do skin repair for people with hacks on feet and hands. You have may be seen the advert on television I used to send away for Dead Sea minerals which was pleasant and good for heel repair after wearing sandals. They do body creams as well. I think O’keefs offers good protection for skin and lubricates it. Another one my favourites is Aloe Vera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back