Shoulder Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzie Q

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am new here (although been diabetic for about 5 yrs), I read a thread on here earlier about Shoulder and neck pain being associated with Diabetes. I have been suffering with this for about 18months now, Doc originaly said Frozen shoulder although that was during lockdown so could not examine me. Had Physio cant say it did to much. called again last week Doc is refering me to Muscular Skeletol dept (Probably more physio) but can this all be linked to bad diabetes management? Any help and advice will be welcomed. thank you

Hi I am new here (although been diabetic for about 5 yrs), I read a thread on here earlier about Shoulder and neck pain being associated with Diabetes. I have been suffering with this for about 18months now, Doc originaly said Frozen shoulder although that was during lockdown so could not examine me. Had Physio cant say it did to much. called again last week Doc is refering me to Muscular Skeletol dept (Probably more physio) but can this all be linked to bad diabetes management? Any help and advice will be welcomed. thank you
There is a known link, but I don’t think it’s well understood why. There is a theory that glucose adheres to the collagen, but why this results in frozen shoulders and not in other parts of the body, I've no idea!
I certainly had a frozen shoulder a couple of years after diagnosis, but that was when my levels were all back under control again. Maybe the damage was already done during the period where I was misdiagnosed and had high blood glucose.
I found some exercises on Youtube and did them regularly, and eventually it gradually eased and I got movement back. It did take a couple of years before I felt I’d got full movement, though.

I have had shoulder pain for a few years but never associated it with diabetes. I always put it down to activities which I am using my shoulders, like church bell ringing and digging my allotment. It only seems a problem at night as soon as I lie down which means a lot of tossing and turning in the night to find a comfortable position. Some nights I would have to sleep partly sitting up as it affects both shoulders. I have tried kinesiology tape, volterol gel, paracetamol, they help a bit. It is mostly fine during the day. Dr Google suggested it might be bursitis.

I have had shoulder pain for a few years but never associated it with diabetes. I always put it down to activities which I am using my shoulders, like church bell ringing and digging my allotment. It only seems a problem at night as soon as I lie down which means a lot of tossing and turning in the night to find a comfortable position. Some nights I would have to sleep partly sitting up as it affects both shoulders. I have tried kinesiology tape, volterol gel, paracetamol, they help a bit. It is mostly fine during the day. Dr Google suggested it might be bursitis.
That doesn’t sound like frozen shoulder, at least, not like mine. Mine was fine and pain free when my arms were by my sides, or I was lying down, but whenever I tried to raise them above shoulder height, they either hurt a lot, or at the worst stage, just wouldn’t budge any further than a 45 degree angle away from my sides.

That doesn’t sound like frozen shoulder, at least, not like mine. Mine was fine and pain free when my arms were by my sides, or I was lying down, but whenever I tried to raise them above shoulder height, they either hurt a lot, or at the worst stage, just wouldn’t budge any further than a 45 degree angle away from my sides.
I had something similar many years ago and it was diagnosed as problem with the rotator cuff muscles. I had some physio through the occupational health where I worked and it helped a lot.

My shoulder pain was diagnosed as bursitis and rotator cuff damage, from 50 years of competitive table tennis! My osteopath gave me exercises which I do at home, and in water at aquafit, plus rest. I never associated the pain with diabetes. It comes and goes, and is a good excuse for getting out of the ironing!!

Here's a page I found when I had this (or I think I did, though I only saw a GP and a physio who said I was by far the most mild case that she'd ever been sent): https://www.painscience.com/tutorials/frozen-shoulder.php

(I haven't bought the whole book, but the article seemed useful enough that I'd consider buying it if I ever had frozen shoulder again.)
That was an interesting read, except for the bit where the Diabetes question was discussed, when the only reference was to Metabolic Syndrome and obesity causing low grade inflammation, leading to an auto-immune type response. No mention of the different types of diabetes, and the fact that Type 1 is autoimmune. I'd have thought that was a link worth mentioning.

Hi and welcome @Suzie Q 🙂

This is from the Diabetes UK site on diabetes related conditions and includes frozen shoulder

I've had 2 frozen shoulders and various surgeries to try and resolve them. Be aware if you do have frozen shoulder/s and are offered steroid injections they can cause elevated blood glucose although they are usually efficient at relieving pain. The condition can be related to length of time with diabetes, age etc

Last edited:
I agree Robin it was an interesting read. My type 1 diagnosis was 4 years ago although a hospital Dr thought my previous type 2 diagnosis was inaccurate and I had always been type 1.
I have had my shoulder issue for nearly 5 years. I get tingling from my shoulder to my hand and in addition the pain can kick in if I try to lift my arm, carry anything medium heavy or lean or lie on it.
Surgery was suggested as an option and or the steroid injections but I had the distinct impression that it was trial and or error, it didn’t instill confidence and I declined both. I use exercises that I found online

I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder in my 40s and had a steroid jab which did nob all, since what I'd actually got was ripped tendons and I know exactly how I did it - very over enthusiastic serving of aces at exactly the very best angle to make em winners. I was pretty useless at everything else anyway so I was more than happy to give up playing tennis!

Here’s a question just for the ladies (I hope)
What do you do with a bra strap that’s digging into you frozen shoulder? so far I’ve tried leaving that strap to hang down my arm but then I look deformed. A wedge of foam under the strap is more comfortable but looks ridiculous under a jumper

Here’s a question just for the ladies (I hope)
What do you do with a bra strap that’s digging into you frozen shoulder? so far I’ve tried leaving that strap to hang down my arm but then I look deformed. A wedge of foam under the strap is more comfortable but looks ridiculous under a jumper
I’m not particularly well endowed, so I got away with wearing a pull on crop top with stretchy straps, which I had to get into by putting it over my feet and pulling it all the way up, as I couldn’t manage to raise my arms enough to get it over my head, nor could I reach to do up a conventional bra.

What about a halter neck style. I had the same problem with the crop top type, it was a struggle to get it over my head.
Normal bra always fasten at the front and swivel round,

I’m not particularly well endowed, so I got away with wearing a pull on crop top with stretchy straps, which I had to get into by putting it over my feet and pulling it all the way up, as I couldn’t manage to raise my arms enough to get it over my head, nor could I reach to do up a conventional bra.
Ooh that sounds like gymnastics but at least it gave you a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back