should i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
check for ketones on 14.9?

I obviously didnt inject enough at dinner, and have since had a correction dose. I was just wondering because its been like a billion years since i checked for ketones...and I just generally want to try them out 😱 because i am lame like that 😛

Hi Sam - I wouldn't check unless I thought I was going down with something like a cold, flu etc. The ketostix have a limited lifespan once you open the container, so best to leave it until you really think you need them. Do you have any other concerns?

Hi Sam - I wouldn't check unless I thought I was going down with something like a cold, flu etc. The ketostix have a limited lifespan once you open the container, so best to leave it until you really think you need them. Do you have any other concerns?

other than just feeling generally rotton? no illness or anything though!

See, this is what happens when you have a GP who refused to be of any help and a rubbish diabetes care team 😡 surely I should know when to check for them?!

other than just feeling generally rotton? no illness or anything though!

See, this is what happens when you have a GP who refused to be of any help and a rubbish diabetes care team 😡 surely I should know when to check for them?!

I wouldnt bother checking for anything below a 16 unless i was ill . 🙂

Pretty much what I was told by my DSN. If I feel ill then test for ketones.

ok so the general rule is to test if feeling ill, or above a certain level. What level? 15, 16?

ok so the general rule is to test if feeling ill, or above a certain level. What level? 15, 16?

Its usually test if above 16 ( i was told by dsn) and /or if unwell .

I've only ever tested for ketones once, when I was at about 17 which is very high for me, plus I had been sniffling and had a sore throat - didn't show any ketones and the cold never really developed, so obviously just a mild cold. Actually, you've just reminded me that that was over six months ago, so my current pot of ketostix is probably past its use by date!

I was told to check when my BG was persistently high, so would normally check my BG to see if corrections or meal insulin were bringing it down first.

oh :( just checked again and despite correcting have gone up to 18.4 :(

I was told to check if I was over 11....hmmm

Hmm I was told check if constantly high (above 16) and or sick :confused:

seems the usual give everyone different advice thing strikes again lol 🙄

oh :( just checked again and despite correcting have gone up to 18.4 :(

Ive had this happen , dont panic and jab again too soon though , what did you eat for your last meal and how long ago ? and what time did you correct and how much?

Yikes! How're you feeling, Sam?

really really bad :( stupid thirst...

Ive had this happen , dont panic and jab again too soon though , what did you eat for your last meal and how long ago ? and what time did you correct and how much?

dinner was at about 8.30/9pm and was chicken steak things, mash and brocoli... I corrected maybe an hour ago...

really really bad :( stupid thirst...

dinner was at about 8.30/9pm and was chicken steak things, mash and brocoli... I corrected maybe an hour ago...

dont forget that a correction can seem like its done nothing and then hit hard at about 2 hours in , if you still are high after then id correct with caution again , insulin can still be active for hours once injected though so beware it doesnt send you plummeting down to hypo . 😱 Why are you so high after a meal like that though ? mash usually hits fast and nothing else should peak you so high this late on ? are you coming down with a bug or something do you think?

dont forget that a correction can seem like its done nothing and then hit hard at about 2 hours in , if you still are high after then id correct with caution again , insulin can still be active for hours once injected though so beware it doesnt send you plummeting down to hypo . 😱 Why are you so high after a meal like that though ? mash usually hits fast and nothing else should peak you so high this late on ? are you coming down with a bug or something do you think?

hmmm, the only thing i can think is its that time of the month. Though I have had a bit of a sore throat these past couple of days, nothing else though. As for the dinner, you're right. I thought maybe 4 units would cover it easily as it wasn't really that bad a dinner...

hmmm, the only thing i can think is its that time of the month. Though I have had a bit of a sore throat these past couple of days, nothing else though. As for the dinner, you're right. I thought maybe 4 units would cover it easily as it wasn't really that bad a dinner...

yes that bolus sounds about right to me , for a girls portion lol . Hmm its maybe a combination of time of the month and being abit run down then more so than the meal I would think as it wasnt that bad really. See how you feel in abit and if you are still high then maybe have another small correction if you feel ok doing it late on , night corrections dont bother me at all , never have but I know some people are wary of them.

to be honest I'm thinking bed. Maybe its the stress of having to go to work tomorrow and deal with the dragon? LOL! I might keep some munch by the bed just incase. Seriously, wierd crazy diabetes stuff :confused:

I think insulinaddict is probably right. It'll probably a combination of small things. But what do I know? 🙄
Its the same for us all SacredHeart , we have to just try and learn as we go along , trouble is Diabetes cheats and changes the rules all the time 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back